How do you record your diabetes?

Tukella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I'm struggling with my control at the moment! I'm type 1 and have been for 18 years this June! Never had the best control but really want to change that and reading through this site has given me some confidence! But where to start? How do you record your sugars which is the best way? Book, on a spreadsheet, use an app?? Any advise on helping me gain control will be much appreciated

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you are on an android or iOS smartphone, diabetes connect is a good app for recording everything.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use ezbds.

Great interface and lots of helpful features including "bolus on board" and evaluating food to tell you how you responded to it before.

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I judge my blood glucose by what i feel like e.g. if it feels like my muscles are like jelly and blood like syrup then I would know i'm high, if i shake alot and lose focus a little, i know i'm low

I simple answer would be no I don't record my blood sugars

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a log book and also use the Diabetes Connect app for my phone.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Being a bit of a dinosaur, I don't have all the latest gadgets and gizmos, so I use the diary that was dished out with my meter and that's the one that's shown to DSNs and Consultants. It only has room for bg levels at set times, which I find inadequate, so I also have a large spreadsheet on the computer. This is where I can combine a food diary as well as the bg readings. As I'm newly diagnosed, I need to see what certain foods do to me. I've had some pleasant surprises and a few long faces when I've come across something that I can no longer have. Over time I will probably dispense with the food diary as I'll start to remember the dos and don'ts.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Since I was little I've had a folder where I put in a spreadsheet that has the month, year, every date of the month and then 4 different slots (AM, Miday, PM, Night) because that's when I test and then a comments section at the side. It's all done on excel. I put in my blood sugars and then highlight all the high sugars and all the low sugars. It gives me a better perspective of when I am going high & low the most and it really helps my diabetes team see what's going on. Everyone loves my folder!

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I judge my blood glucose by what i feel like e.g. if it feels like my muscles are like jelly and blood like syrup then I would know i'm high, if i shake alot and lose focus a little, i know i'm low

I simple answer would be no I don't record my blood sugars
If your are type 1 you are playing with danger you will get away with that for so. Long then you will start to get complications because your not controlling it

Reactions: 4 people

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm another one who doesn't record my blood results for the most part. I regularly take my blood(7+ times a day), just don't bother recording them.

I really don't see the point in looking back and knowing what your blood glucose was last thursday at 12pm..........as long as it is in the acceptable range.. The only time I would change this habit would be if I was sick or had a run of lows over a few days then I would go old skool and write it down in a notebook.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm another one who doesn't record my blood results for the most part. I regularly take my blood(7+ times a day), just don't bother recording them.

I really don't see the point in looking back and knowing what your blood glucose was last thursday at 12pm..........as long as it is in the acceptable range.. The only time I would change this habit would be if I was sick or had a run of lows over a few days then I would go old skool and write it down in a notebook.
I think this where the libre is useful as are CGMS. You have a constant record and can spot patterns, even when not doing anything different. And it's easy to capture and record the data.

I too hated recording all my bg levels and typically would do it in the month before a clinic appointment. It didn't mean I wasn't testing, just that I didn't perceive the value in recording it. Another reason why I like like libre!

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excuse the results but I have a little book like this.
Got quite a few of them, if I even run out I just ring the number on the back and they send a few out. I never really look back at results unless there is a problem but I prefer tor record everything.

QWsGJcl.jpg

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Use a pump now and that records almost everything, before then I was using the Expert meter, but you can't beat a good old fashioned bg diary :)

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I like the Diabetes Connect app which I have on an iPhone.

I've come to realise that recording and inputting your blood sugars is a very good way in and of itself to help you focus on the task at hand. It's harder to go off-piste if you know that you'll have to log your next blood sugar and that it will affect your averages.

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi

I'm struggling with my control at the moment! I'm type 1 and have been for 18 years this June! Never had the best control but really want to change that and reading through this site has given me some confidence! But where to start? How do you record your sugars which is the best way? Book, on a spreadsheet, use an app?? Any advise on helping me gain control will be much appreciated

I use a note book of some kind

BF.......5.8 , 1 1/2 units of Insulin............... 10 carbs

and the same with lunch and dinner, then the units of Levemir at bedtime..

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I like the Diabetes Connect app which I have on an iPhone.

I've come to realise that recording and inputting your blood sugars is a very good way in and of itself to help you focus on the task at hand. It's harder to go off-piste if you know that you'll have to log your next blood sugar and that it will affect your averages.

Best

Dillinger
I agree, it keeps me focused and I get a kick out of looking back on a good day. I must get out more !!

Reactions: 6 people

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
as a lowly t2....i use the diasend uploader which plugs into my bg star or bayer contour bgmonitor

maryjey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use BG Monitor Pro app on my Android phone. It works for me - I can put in my bg, insulin, and notes. It calculates my carb bolus and correction boluses ( first you need to put in your rates and target bg). It has a insulin on board warning and some other useful features. I tried quite a few apps but this one is the best for me.
I can also download my bg readings from my meter and print it for my doctor but the data is not as useful for me without other info about food or insulin.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I use my accu-check mobile, the hospital has a programme on its computers that show your readings which is useful

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think what's interesting about this thread is that people use apps to calculate bolus needs. Correction or mealtime. It's not something I find useful as I've always used the algorithm in my head to do this and it has kept me on the straight and narrow, glucose wise, even on the bad days when I've eaten a bag of wine gums.