More confused than ever!

Vikingepigen

So I have been to see another GP at the surgery - the GP I was originally assigned to. So I talk about how I felt about everything and what I have been doing. Fine. He then puts his point across - that the surgery does indeed take T2 VERY serious - they have over 400 people with T2 at the surgery! He goes on to explain that they do not look at the Bg levels alone, but at the whole picture - the whole paitient. Going high or low carb is totally out of date and that controlling fats in the diet and exercise is key. That I as a T2 is as high risk for a heart-attack as one who has already had one!

He goes on to show me the figures from my last bloods, HbA1c was of course over 10, but he then points out my cholostrol of 6.0 which apparently is bad (!?) - he looks at my blood pressure which is 133/82 and fine (?!). So now he want to put me on a cocktail of drugs which he claims have proven to be more than helpful to T2, to help me live for another 20 years and reduce the risk of a heart attack!! Thanks. He wants me to take Asprin, Metaformin and Statin??

He will NOT support self testing as he claims the every day Bg is not all that important but the HbA1c and getting my Cholostrol down is key, in combination with the meds. He never commented om my attempts to point out that research shows that tight Bg control reduces the risk of a heart attach with 17%, and pointed out that lower my Cholestrol and taking Metaformin would reduce the risk with 25%. So there!

He does not understand how I can have a diet where I do not eat Carbs/Protein/Fats in each meal. He frowned and was VERY unhappy with me having eggs and bacon for breakfast, and even less happy with me being "tunnel vison" about low carb diet and resisting the recommended meds cocktail. He was pleased with my weight loss, but claimed that was down to reduced calorie intake and more exercise!

Now I have full bloods done again at end of June to see how I am doing and look at meds then! But no help support for testing. Am being referred to a dietician at the hospital and will receive a letter in due course.

What sorries me more is that the first GP I saw never mentioned any of the above, but just dismissed me with the fact that weight loss and ful blood test every 3 months would suffice for me as a T2. Two so differnt opinions at the same surgery??

And the DN encouraged low carb and self testing!!! Talk about conflicting information!

I am now so confused, I do not what and whom to believe and quite frankly, I feel more like just giving up and dig a hole in ground and shoot myself! My panic attacks were not adressed at all - it does not seem like my mental health is of any concern at all!!

Why bother - eat and drink as I please and die happy in 5 years! At least it seems that way, because according to my GP if I do not take the meds, I wil not live another 20 years!!

Great - I don't think so!

Unhappily yours
Alice

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Alice you are doing great!!do not give up because of this treatment!!You know that the diet you are on is working for you and yes!!!!You do need to test no matter what the doctor says!!
The subject of medication is your choice ,Alice.These drugs can help but again if you think you can control your diabetes without them then try for those months then reassess.You are in control of your body and choices not the doctor.He can advise you of the risks etc .Do it for yourself ,Alice,you know your body best !!!

Keep doing what you are doing till your blood tests at end of June.I think that the doctor will be surprised by the result!!

samcogle

Hi Alice, when i saw the endo he didn't see the point in testing. i was new here and did not mention low carbing or anything else for that matter. my blood pressure was something like 180/145 and this didn't concern him but my cholesterol is very low and he recommended statins...eh???
I see him again next week and will be armed with my new found information and as Sue says it is my body and he can advise me but as far as I am concerned, my BS levels are reduced from 18 to around 5-6 and I have lost nearly 2 stones since i last saw him so he can bog off. You do what you're doing Alice and together we will show them :D

gbtyke

I would recommend to stick to the diet but take the meds. Nothing wrong with them in opinion. I know some on here don't like statins but since my brother and father died young with heart attacks my brother in Leeds, my sister in America and myself have all been placed on statins and passed the age they died at.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Alice, you've been really poorly treated in my view. I can feel my own blood pressure rising just by reading your post. Your doctor is quite simply wrong on so many levels.
Your DN sounds much more clued up, so why not go with her advice and show your doctor how much you improve by your next appointment?

Best wishes,

fergus

maisiesgranny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness!
hi alice i need help too!!!

i feel for you. i came on the forum just now because i decided to test after one hour and i've had a shock!. 9.8! this never showed up in the five months since i've been diagnosed.i was told to test after two hours and bg was always between 5 and 8. my surgery think i'm doing great cause i got my bp down due to exercise, lost weight and hba1c down to 6.1. i do take the statins now because my mum died young of heart trouble. at my surgery they said what you heard. controlling sugar fats and cholestoral is important. what to eat!!!??? i had never heard of low carbing for diabetes till i joined here a couple of days ago. so, now i've tested after the hour is this bad? is it a spike? my surgery are good in that i can get test strips and i am t2 diet only - mind you they did say to try to limit their use. i am only testing this week as i see the dn next week and she told me to bring some results. i will look into lower carbs. we know our own bodies best, don't be bullied and good luck! maisiesgranny

viv1969

Alice, this makes my blood boil!
I just wanted you to know I had read it and acknowledge that.
I will type a longer reply when I can do so without getting this angry.
Ruth x

Trinkwasser

fergus said:
Alice, you've been really poorly treated in my view. I can feel my own blood pressure rising just by reading your post. Your doctor is quite simply wrong on so many levels.
Your DN sounds much more clued up, so why not go with her advice and show your doctor how much you improve by your next appointment?

Best wishes,

fergus

Agreed, your doctor is yet another clueless muppet, the nurse knows far more about diabetes.

Doing this

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -test.html

and reducing your carbs until your BG no longer spikes WILL improve your BP and lipids (I note he didn't see fit to give you the all important breakdown). AFTER doing that you may need to consider meds, they're nothing to be afraid of (unless of course they give you side effects) but quite frankly the standard advice does NOT work for more than a very few patients and makes the majority worse.

Go read the Success Stories again. Then read the ADA Forum and most other forums (except DLife and a few other UK ones) and see how similar the stories are.

Vikingepigen

So have seen the DN and although she could not comment (as she is not permantently attached to the surgery), she nearly fell off her chair when I told her about the doc's comments. She and I had a chat about the diet, tweeking things (too high ketones), feet (yes, got a referral) etc etc. She is a wonderful person and I am sad and upset I cannot see her again.

Well, I also spoke to the PALS consultant again!! She had in the meantime done a 108 degree turn and now read the NICE Guidelines as the doctor was within his right to refuse test strips! She now says that I have to resolve the issue directly with my GP or change surgery, which she was very keen to get the subject onto!! I was also informed by her that the CPT Surrey Heath saves some £7m by encouraging GP not to perscibe test strips/lancets to non-essential paitients, eg. new paitients who have not yet proven if they can or can not reduce Bg levels and need help to monitor them!! She also informed me that the NICE Guidelines are only "Guidelines" and therefore the GP are free to overrule them and basically do as he/she fit. She did not see any problem that the GP is refusing to support my self testing, even when he wants me on a cocktail of meds. She just said that she could not see how she could possibly do anything else that advice me to go back to my GP and resolve directly! So there! Very useful people .................. NOT!!

So left high and dry and fast loosing the will to live! I think I shall just give up - I do not have the strength physically or mentally, to battle these people who don't give a dam about their paitients and more about the balance sheets.

Take care - over and out!

Alice

Iolanthe

Dislikes
Carrots, parsnips, beans and pulses. People who don't get to the point!
Alice, you have my sympathy, it is an utter, utter minefield, everyone has their own opinion and theory on this. But please DO NOT GIVE UP! I have won the first round with my surgery and my GP has agreed not to prescibe me anything, unless he has fully discussed it with me and we have agreed. I also have an underlying condition and sympathetic consultant, who basically read my GP the riot act. However, in all this, I have stood my ground, I have also done research on the net about what was being prescibed why, side effects, interactions etc and I have quoted this at them. You must be strong and stand your ground and ask - WHY? If you are not happy you must tell them do not be rude (although you must feel like telling them where to get off!) - you must be in control of this and make the decisions on what you want, with their guidance but ultimately it is your life and your body. I won the battle but not the war - yet!

In terms of PALS - waste of space - I have emailed my PCT direct to ask them what their policy is on testing and also about their appeals procedure. I will take it from there. All this is so stressful on top of a stressful disease but keep focus on what you need and you deserve.

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
you hang in there alice in reading a lot of your posts you come across as a very articulate person ,you stick to your guns and never give up and look after yourself dermot