gliclazide

paul a carr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
my current job .sports .
hi all ive just been put on gliclazide 80mg one in the morning one at night and im also on 3 times metformin a day. dose any body know is it common to suffer hypos while drinking alcohol ive never had problems when just on metformin .im going out this afternoon .if any body who are on the same meds as me can help.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Gliclazide can cause hypos.

If your drinking, your blood glucose levels will be affected. It depends what you're drinking and how much.

Be careful.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree. Just don't drink too much as it prevents the liver dumping glycogen if you go low towards a hypo

desidiabulum

If you do find yourself having hypos in the afternoon do ask your GP about reducing your morning dose. It's not unusual to have different gliclazide doses in the morning and evening (my evening dose is double my morning one).

paul a carr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
my current job .sports .
thanks ill be carefull .ill have some carbs before I go out .ive never had a hypo so ill take some gluco tabs with me.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do your bloods normally run at?

I don't take meds, of any description, but eating carbs to fend off something that might happen is an alien concept to me. Should you be behaving normally, and testing regularly to see what is going on, then react accordingly? And obviously test if you feel "off".

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Carbs is the last thing you want at any time. You are deliberately provoking higher blood glucose levels.
Eat a normal low carb meal and take it easy. How will you know if you are having a hypo?
If you feel off(!) It could be the drink.

Take care.