Ketone meters/testing

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone,
I am finally starting on my pump in April and am eagerly anticipating my start date! I'm working my way through "pumping insulin" and am reading lots about set failures and ketosis etc
On my current MDI regime I hardly ever have to test for ketones- I have a pot of urine sticks gathering dust but no ketone meter.
My question is what meters/methods to test for ketones do you use? Is this funded by your hosp or is it worth me investing in one myself prior to my start date?
I am also concerned RE Teflon inserters- the book talks about high kink rates with Teflon angled sets.....I had my eye on the inset 30s as I am very petite- what is everyone's experience with this type of set? Which sets do you find the most reliable?
Thanks in advance!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I use the Glucomen LX Plus to test for ketones, get the strips from my gp who was initially reluctant to prescribe them due to the cost, you need them when starting on a pump so if you have any problems getting them prescribed then speak with your consultant.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Meant to add, if you ring the Glucomen helpline up they will send one out to you free of charge.

Poppy2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone,
I am finally starting on my pump in April and am eagerly anticipating my start date! I'm working my way through "pumping insulin" and am reading lots about set failures and ketosis etc
On my current MDI regime I hardly ever have to test for ketones- I have a pot of urine sticks gathering dust but no ketone meter.
My question is what meters/methods to test for ketones do you use? Is this funded by your hosp or is it worth me investing in one myself prior to my start date?
I am also concerned RE Teflon inserters- the book talks about high kink rates with Teflon angled sets.....I had my eye on the inset 30s as I am very petite- what is everyone's experience with this type of set? Which sets do you find the most reliable?
Thanks in advance!
Hello, like you I only used urine test strips before stating on my insulin pump. On the day I started my DSN gave me a Freestyle Optium Neo Meter to use for ketone testing! She told me to bin the ketone urine sticks!!! The blood result is more reliable. I have found it reassuring too! . Good luck

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the glucomen lx as well, very reliable meter. Don't let your doctor play the cost card, the ketone test strips have a long shelf life, and you really should not be needing to use them very often at all assuming you get on OK with the pump. Tbh every T1 should have a meter that can do ketones as dka is equally possible when on mdi