Son with type 1

natalier90

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys.

My 4 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 on Monday. It's been a very emotional week.but he is doing absaloutely amazing( a hell of a lot better than me! )

I was just wondering if any one could give me good snack and dinner ideas please as he is constantly hungry ( nurses did say he would be at this stage) any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks :)

[moved to Parents forum for you]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum, but sorry to hear of your son's diagnosis. When you can, have alittle look at the parents section, that will be very helpful I'm sure. What about some fruit, raspberries, strawberries, grapes, a piece of cheese with it, a small yogurt,Sultana's, raisins,cream cheese on a couple of crackers, rice cake topped with something he likes. My granddaughter eats just about anything really, she was diagnosed at 2 1/2 and she is 6 now.
Good luck and if you need o ask anything else this is a great forum for helpful advice and support.

Wishing you all he best ( and your son ):)

RRB

natalier90

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. Thank you for your reply.

I get really confused with fruit as how much he can eat at once. He loves fruit but will literally sit there and eat a whole punnet of grapes or strawberries if he could and demolish half a eater melon lol. It's just trying to figure out the portions of what I can give him and when best to give him them.

I know it hasn't even been a week yet but I'm trying to do all the research I can. His nurses are amazing but I don't want to sound stupid repeating questions. I guess when we have the meeting with the dietician things will hopefully become a little clearer on what he can eat and when it's best to eat it if that makes sense.

Thank you. :)

Jackie1989

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
hello my little girl was also diagnosed aged 4 she is now 6 :) sorry to hear your story it is hard at 1st but dont worry everything comes into place soon enough as for snacks any fruit is good but some have there own sugars witch can be an issue apples are fine dont affect much as strawberry id say only have 2 or 3. we were told that anything under 10 grams of crabs is fine for a snack. my little girl has a mix of carrot celery cucumber with a fat free dip. i will pass on something i was told "when you go shopping dont worry about how many carbs are in things it can always be corrected" :)

Reactions: 4 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
We are all very different when it comes to diet and reactions. I can eat cereals without major glucose spikes, others on this forum can't eat them.

All I can tell you is that too many grapes send MY blood glucose sky high. I will typically take about 15 grapes to work with my packed lunch and eat them at intervals during the day. I actually use them to keep BG levels up when I'm out of the office and on my feet in the factory all day.

If you google "how many carbs are there in (insert food item), you will sometimes get a simple answer straight from googles own database. And there's a huge amount of info available from various websites. I found that in terms of carbohydrates there are about 17g carbs per 100g of grapes. In comparison, a satsuma has around 10g of carbs per 100g of fruit, and an apple is similar.

You might want to check his blood sugars about 2hrs after eating various fruits, especially if he's wolfing them down like they are going out of fashion.

natalier90

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for you replys. I know it's only early days and we will have to see what different things cause his to spike but at the moment it's worrying as his levels are so high. When we came out of hospital they were HI and they are gradually falling but still haven't been below 11 so far. Any ideas how long it will take to get then down and should the blood sugars be decreasing through out the day or increasing ? My son has his injection before breckfast lunch and dinner(novorapid ) and lantus at night time before bed.

Thank you again

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Any reply would be vague by neccessity. Again we are all different and it depends where your son started from.

I started at 31mmol on D day and it took about 2 months to get my BG numbers down becuase my body reacted badly to low sugar levels. I was having feelings of being hypo' at 11mmol and felt awful pretty much all the time. This is normal if your sugar leveIs have been high for a long time. I personally was OK within about 3 months. I'm also using different insulins and only inject twice a day.

Your care team will probably ask you to up the doses by a couple of units - I assume you have a hotline to call and report BG numbers and discuss concerns?

Sorry I can't be more help, you must be feeling quite anxious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackie1989

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
when my daughter was first diagnosed it took about 2 months to get things about right. your diabetes nurse will probably a just amount given every now and then you will probably fined that a soon as the honeymoon period starts its gets easier to manage. no one expect anything amazing in the first 6 months so try not to worry tomuch

mkzp123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

My son was also diagnosed at the age of four

I am very sorry to hear about your son but as Jackie said earlier with time everything will make sense and be easier

It took around a couple of weeks for my son to have his sugars settle back to normal after he was diagnosed but it differs with each child

Please dont think you are asking silly questions to the diabetic nurses as we have all asked ridiculous questions but you have to understand it's new to us as parents and we want the best for our children

I still ask silly questions two years on

I would highly recommend the carbs and carols up which can be found on the App Store for android store

natalier90

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone.

Our diabetic nurses and dietitian have been amazing so far. Rang every day for readings had two visits and are starting the training with my son's school on Monday. They have answered all my questions over and over again and I can't fault them.

My son has adapted to the changed pretty quick, it is me who seems to be struggling with it more.

It's not even a week since his diagnosis but I'm just trying to get as many tips and advice as I can.

I will look at the app thank you :)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you everyone.

Our diabetic nurses and dietitian have been amazing so far. Rang every day for readings had two visits and are starting the training with my son's school on Monday. They have answered all my questions over and over again and I can't fault them.

My son has adapted to the changed pretty quick, it is me who seems to be struggling with it more.

It's not even a week since his diagnosis but I'm just trying to get as many tips and advice as I can.

@natalier90 did you say dietician! Can I hear alarm bells in the distance? Maybe you have a good one but please try and find time (easier said than done I imagine) to look at the dietary advice being offered by many people on the forum - especially with regards to carbohydrates.

Reactions: 3 people

natalier90

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes when my son was discharged we were told he would have a nurse and a dietician if we need. She's just given us books and lists of snack ideas for him. I've only spoken to her twice but she seems to make sense ( for now) are they not really worth listening to then lol ?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Yes when my son was discharged we were told he would have a nurse and a dietician if we need. She's just given us books and lists of snack ideas for him. I've only spoken to her twice but she seems to make sense ( for now) are they not really worth listening to then lol ?
Hello natalier90, welcome to the best forum on the web! What most diabetics are not told at the outset is " carbohydrates" turn into sugar in our blood! It's not just a question of avoiding sugary things,
There are very good recipes and lchf advice on here that are excellent for us diabetics, most important is to use a bs meter to test before we eat then at1 and 2 hr after to note the rise, any more than 2.0 to 3.0 of a rise is considered bad for us, all the best to you and your son ::))

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was writing this off-line and @Clivethedrive beat me to it ! Thought I might as well post it anyway.

Well, I don't know what you've been told and maybe it's good information. But most of us feel that the NHS is a little behind the curve when it comes to dietary advice.

One poor chap recently reported being told to increase his carb intake when most diabetics would advocate reducing carbs. The adult reference intake of carbs is 260g per day and most of us are down at around 150g with quite a few below 50g. I cannot tell you how this scales down for a child though, you'd need to check this.

Things like pasta, rice, potato, cereals, and bread are all in the carbohydrate food group and the body turns them all into glucose. As you've already discovered, most fruit isn't great for diabetics either. Great isn't it. Your son can still eat this stuff but you need to be aware of what it will do to his BG levels if he has big portions. Again, this is where the blood testing comes in.

If he likes a chocolate treat, then many chocolates with a cocoa content of 70% or higher have less carb content than the special diabetic chocolates available from Boots, (something else designed to trip you up). We recently discussed chocs' in one of the threads and you can get inexpensive high cocoa chocs at places like Aldi and Lidl if you have one near by.

People on ultra low carb intake compensate with increased protein (meat, nuts, fish), fatty foods (dairy) and vegetables to stop hunger pangs. Of course, reducing carbs to this level and increasing fatty foods would never be advocated by the NHS and may not be appropriate for your son. You must decide whether or not to go down this route for yourself.

Knowing what to feed a diabetic child must be a nightmare but i'm sure you'll get on top of it. I'd just like to suggest that you proceed with caution and ask questions about specific things if you need help. Good luck.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends what you want to follow, the idea behind going very low carb is that you only have to deal with small fluctuations in blood sugar and small quantities of insulin. This in turn means you don't end up on a rollercoaster of fighting highs and lows and constantly swinging. There is a facebook group called typeonegrit but you have to be vetted before getting in and committed to following such a lifestyle.

They have a pinterest group too so if you join pinterest and search on their name you can get tons of info and also recipes for all meals. The food is great but it doesn't involve fruit, grains etc. They also have all the scientific data as to why we don't need carbs to exist, grow etc as people claim. Each to their own though, but the people on there are achieving near normal readings, day in day out, with fabulous recipes that mean you don't miss out on anything.

Ali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The thing with children is they are constantly on the go,growth spurts, often get infections and illness, as the immune system doesn't really kick in properly until about 8 years old.
It's basically tweaking foods, strawberries and raspberries are great fruits, and trying to get a healthy well balanced diet going. You will find out what his blood sugars are as to what foods affect him, if any do.
Because what works for some type 1's wont work for others, especially young children. See how you get on, as his diagnosis is in the very early stages at the moment.
This is a great forum for helpful support and advice, do what you think is best for your son and then you can adjust things along he way.
Best wishes RRB

Jackie1989

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
today we had a Sunday dinner normally my kids love things like ice cream and cake that sort of stuff i have made a change and made mini trifles sugar free jelly custard powder without adding sugar so just added carbs fro the cake at the bottom and cream on top in total pudding was 10 carbs instead of 40. if like most kids your son likes cakes and thing like that ask your dietitian for sugar swaps but like i sed before give it some time and u will surprise your self :) . i rely on my kids dietitian a fire bit and so far she hasn't been wrong :)

natalier90

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. The part that we are struggling with is fruit because he loves it's but obviously have to limit it now.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you everyone.

It's important to keep a detailed bg diary so that his DSN can advise you further on adjusting his insulin doses,its early days yet so try not to worry but do keep in contact with his diabetes team.

btw, really pleased that your lad is coping well, you must so proud.