the advantages of being diabetic.

ahills

oh i agree, in my circumstances im quite fortunate to have the opportunity to select my breaks but i am aware of how difficult this can be for most. Plus side being you get away with carrying sweets in your pocket! :)

cm1976

Loving this thread ! And making a mental note of some of the great things about being diabetic for when my son gets one of those - its so not fair moments!

Especially the queue thing! We waiting ages in legoland once to get on a ride - almost got to the front when H had a hypo and we hadnt brought his hypo stuff into the queue - We ended up trawling thru the world!!! to get his dextrose tabs from his dad and didnt have time to go back and queue again so missed out! he was sooooo cross!

I think he'll definately abuse the situation for p.e lessons too if i tell him about it!

x

osob

Dislikes
Liars and ppl that make up stories just to get attention.
Oh Hello everyone Iam new to this site and came across this topic and thought great,I can list some.(hope you all dont mind)
My first great advantage would have to be that one time I got a hypo on british airways and my friend told one of the guys,they gave me 4 cans of coke and the best bit was chocolates from first class (yummmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyy).
Another one is faking a hypo to get out of things or even if someone is getting on ur nervous if you just say iam hypo they will leave u alone(works best on family members)hahahahhaha.
If you have a hypo and someone buys u food u dont have to pay them back.hahahahhahah
Sometimes if we doing chores in the house and i say my sugar levels are high i need a rest someone else does my job.
If Iam feeling down or want a choc or sweets I send my sugar levels low so I can eat them.......Biggest plus into being a diabetic.
Having extra or longer breaks at work,uni or school......
Thats some advantages to being a diabetic...[/b]

tony13579

I have this mental image of kids declaring themselves diabetic then writing notes all over thier crisps. re-sealing the packet and then using them to cheat through the exam, eating the evidence.
does that make me devious or cynical? :wink:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That, my friend, makes you a goddamn genius.

Why the hell didn't I ever think of that?!?

tony13579

You normally get your meal first on airplanes. :D

Due to the amount of blood tests you get , you are more likly to detect other ilnesses earlier.

You will win farting competitions hands down

you get priority for flu jabs, food etc

I am guaranteed to get the meal time I request on my cruise I go on in 51 days (12 hours and 10 min) not counting, honest LOL

It gives me an excuse to escape long shopping trips .

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
tony13579 said:
You will win farting competitions hands down

:lol:

You ain't lying! (After a pizza, or a curry with a naan bread, my a$$ is rotten for DAYS... :oops: )

jaime_T

The best experience Ive ever had, thanks the advantage of being Diabetic

When I was 13, I went to America for my 14 birthday to stay with my family in California, I travelled on my own and because I was Type 1 Diabetic, I was treated like royalty, I had as many snacks and drinks as I wanted, not to mention the stewardess took me through to 1ST Class for the last hour of the plane journey.

Not to mention the whole time I was on the plane I was thinking if Terrorist's strike, Im gunna take them out with a jab of insilin!

cl41re_r

ahills said:
1. Free Medical Exemption card for prescriptions
2. Short Regular breaks at work to break a long day up
3. You get to excuse yourself from awkward situations and fix a 'hypo'
4. Maintaining a healthy diet and exercise regime keeps me in great shape
5. It's a great topic starter when meeting new people
6. Free entitlement to a chiropodist
7. And last but not least Diabetes and the Disability Discrimination Act

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/diabetes-and-the-disability-discrimination-act

6. Free entitlement to a chiropodist - REALLY????? How? Ooh!

Also the last post is funny - jabbing the terrorist with insulin/needle = very interesting...

I like the earlier suggestion/suspicion of kids writing on their crisps in exams and then eating the evidence too...shame I never thought of that! :)