Age of Self Management

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Do any of those who became diabetic at a young age remember how they handled taking over the job of managing diabetes from their parents and how old they were when they took over. I've got a long way to go before this could be a possibility but would love to hear the experiences of others. Was the information needed gathered over time and just a natural progression? Did you have to tell your parents to back off or did they have to push you? What would have made the transition better?

I've only met a few who were really young and can't remember life without diabetes. My son already associates me getting out his meter with having a meal. He is 2 and been diabetic from 8 months.

I know quite a few parents who would love to hear this information to be a bit prepared for the future.

Jen

mikethebike

Hi

I think it was more a natural progression with the odd push occassionally. Can't remember too clearly to be honest as I was diagnosed Type 1, aged 5, and that was well over 4 decades ago!
I would think looking after his diabetes will fall into place naturally as he wont know anything different.

My advice would be for your son to be able to look after himself as much as possible before he hits the age of about 10. He only needs to understand the basics to make sure he takes care of himself.

The main thing that I remember bothering me most was being 'different'.
I think I did my utmost to not be seen as the diabetic kid, particularly as a teenager. That was a long time back. The condition seemed fairly rare ( I only remember seeing 2 or 3 other kids with diabetes nearby) and attitudes were apallingly different to nowadays.
Information was patchy and treatment was VERY basic. Metal/glass syringes, no disposable needles - more like something used to vaccinate an elephant! No blood glucose testing kits- just check your urine for sugar with some chemical tablets in a test tube, which would be banned on environmental and health and safety grounds these days. Nothing was portable or easy to use. And best of all an Annual hospital check up to make sure you had spent 12months getting it wrong!! I wonder now how I am still here relatively unscathed.

My youngest son was diagnosed Type 1 when he was 10. He possibly has an advantage of my experience, good or bad, and advice to hand, but after explaining the basics he seems to have just got on with it. Yeah getting him to inject himself was a little difficult but a week or so of encouragement seemed to work.
He needs constant reminding/nagging to do everything and anything now he is a teenager, but thats normal for all teenagers isn't it?
Mike :roll:

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Thanks for the reply.

I can relate to having a teenager. My other son is 14 and it starts in the morning with "Get out of bed' and continues along those lines for the rest of the day until he get told to "Go to bed, it's late!" at about 10pm.

Khaleb also has Down syndrome so he will probably notice he is different at some point regardless of having diabetes. Will cross those bridges when I get to them.

Glad your 10 year old is getting on with it and hope he stays on track through those weird hormonal years.

I am certainly glad the management of diabetes is better and easier than when you were younger. I can't imagine Khaleb would of had any chance of survival getting diabetes at 8 months (serious DKA) without today's inventions.

Thank again, I hope Khaleb can get a good grasp of his management as the years roll on.

Jen.

KimSuzanne

Hi Jen
I think Mike is right its a natural progression, I was 7 when I was diagnosed my Mum was very keen on me being independant as I always had been as a child. She told me as much as she felt I could handle and we kind of did it together, she let me have a go at deciding dinner and snacks but stayed nearby incase I was unsure.

The main Thing I found was we used to have a white board up in the kitchen where I planned meals, Mum could check and if I got it wrong we'd talk about it.

Some friends of mine didn't self manage till quite late in life, I think you know when its time because you know your child.
Kim

it depends wen u found out u had it ...

if ur 6 nd u have had it since u wer like 2 you might be able do the injection ur self.

But if your 6 and you got it wen ur 5 then maybe not :wink:

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also depends partly on the regime. I was diagnosed at 8 and taught to inject (as were all my family) and carb count, though not expected to take responsibility for it. I knew how many carbs I needed at what times, memorised most of the carb values I needed. With school dinners I took fruit to replace the school pudding and would adjust accordingly if I'd had more/fewer carbs than usual in my main course. I managed to leave formal responsibility for most of it to mum for many years, especially the injecting/dose adjustment. But this was on just 2 injections per day, no blood tests, and a fixed carb regime. I didn't need to inject at school and since mum simply insisted I be home for dinner, I rarely injected away from home. It wasn't until teenage years that I really took responsibility, when I wanted to be out and about and able to stay over with friends.

cm1976

My son was 4 when he was diagnosed with type 1 = he's 8 now and has done his own BM's since he was about 5 1/2yrs and then started to do his own injection at 6 but then got in a bit of a pickle about doing it after a while so we went back to us doing it until he was 7 and then we explained how much easier life would be and how much more he could do if he could do his own jab and now he prefers to do everything himself - took a bit of bribery to get this far but now the independance is so brilliant!

As far as food is concerned I have always been open with him and explained as to why he can or can't have certain things and we encourage him to make suitable choices for himself as often as is appropriate so his understanding of his condition and needs is really good... In fact since shortly after his diagnosis he has enjoyed reminding me of the fact he's diabetic and can't have certain things when I offer them!! he knows his routine and what foods are suitable and what is not tho it doesnt stop him being naughty when I'm not around to put the parental foot down! and the grandparents want to spoil him..

the thing I find the most frustrating is having to stick to rigid meal and snack times as this can be really difficult when it comes to going to friends houses to play after school and going to after school activities and clubs as u have to ensure u can fit in food at the right time to prevent the hypo thing occuring!
I think this is one of the things that irritates H too! he always hated having to take his mum over his mates cos he had to have his jab!!

As H was quite young at diagnosis he actually cant remember not being diabetic - He vaguely remembers going into hospital when he was diagnosed but its jst part of his life now - its what he is and does!! Tho he does always wish for a magical cure!

Anyway I guess what I'm trying to say is be guided by ur little one! My 2 yr old is really intersted in the whole BM thing at the mo and wants to be like his big Bro and do his jab! We let him do his BM occasionally and he always insists on doing the lancet himself and squeezing the blood for u to put on the strip - so funny that he takes it in his stride whereas H was a nightmare when he had to do his in the beginning - it helps us keep a check on him too! esp when he gets a tired or thirsty day!! lol....

They do need a bit of persuasion but will become independant over time without u realising sometimes!

susieq987

I was 2 yrs old when I was diagnosed so didn't ever remember not being diabetic. When I was 8 yrs I had the opportunity to go to Holland with my cousins so over 5-6 months I was shown and taught what to do what not to do etc. Anyway I went to Holland had no problems had a great time. A member of my family who also went was also told what to do and kept a close eye on me lol. Because I proved that I could manage I was left to do things myself with watchful eyes but thankfully never really needed much help. This allowed me to go on several school trips to France, Belgium etc without too much bother just one teacher being aware of my needs which really wasn't too much of a problem.
By the way this was about 33 yrs ago I am now 41.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Dear susieq,

What a great story. Sometimes I am thankful that Khaleb became diabetic so early. He will never know any other life so wont know if he is missing out on something. I can just imagine what you had to carry with you 33 yrs ago to go anywhere, let alone overseas.

All the best, Jen.