Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hello,

I've got my 6 monther GP review coming up in a few weeks, now that I'm armed with my crib sheet about why low-carb is a plausable (at least) response to diabetes (have a look in the Type 1 thread if you want a copy) and I wanted to look at another couple of areas; I currently take Lantus and am interested in chaging it; either to Levemir or to bovine or porcine insulin. Chiefly for the weight gain problems and lack of hypo awareness reported for Lantus.

Does anyone have any success stories for such changes and or had any problems switching from Lantus? Can one continue to basal/bolus on animal insulin as effectively as one can on the analogue insulins?

I note some people use different short acting insulins depending on what is being eaten (or possibly only Fergus does that... :) ) is that a GOOD THING?

Is there any price difference for the NHS that might make my GP nervous about changing my insulin? I had to argue for some time to get enteric coated aspirin and the price difference there is pennies so it would be useful to know in advance.

I will of course be getting my HbA1c results and hope to have some improvement there after 6 months of strict observance of the Diabetes Co UK Way.... I will let you know either way though

Thanks

Dillinger

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Dilinger,

I changed from Lantus to Levemir at the beginning of the year. The doses have been identical, no perceptible difference in weight ( I'm a couple of pounds lighter, but I don't attribute that to my basal insulin), but hypo awareness has improved slightly.

Bernstein is an advocate of using slower acting insulin for larger low carb meals so that the profile more closely matches the slower release of glucose. I find it works very well for dinner for example, while smaller meals and smaller doses, brekkie and lunch, seem fine with Humalog.

All the best,

fergus

kyoung09

Hey! I'm seventeen and have been diagnosed for a year. I was straight away, put on Levemir and Novorapid which is so so good. I manage all my meals individually according to how hungry i am, how much carb is in it. I was never over weight and am 5"1 and 7 and a half stone, but i have not put on any weight from the insulins, and if i have i put it down to girly things around my waist as i grow up a bit more! My nan had been diabetic for many years and she was on a reigime which she was having lots of hypo's. she was switched to Lantus and fast acting like me and her life has dramatically changed for the better. I recommend it :) I don't know any different, but i sure would not like to change!! I change my doses regularly (Levemir) and handle it well i hope. TO be honest, it is your life and if you want to swap round medications for your own well being and satisfactin then no one should object. It's not them who has to deal with it, and you should feel comfortable.

Don't know if that helped at all, but i use Levemir and i think its great
All the best

Trinkwasser

fergus said:
The doses have been identical

That doesn't necessarily happen, some people may need as much as 30% more Levemir. It seems to be easier to adjust than Lantus, dose adjustments go through quite quickly rather than having to wait three days, so you should be able to find your new level fairly easily. Most people need a split dose (this information comes from reading many changeover tales over the years)

You may conceivably have problems if your local Formulary doesn't list it.

As to animal insulins I've read many horror stories, people being told they are no longer made etc. it may take a lot of pressure to get this change approved but a few have, and several report improved control and return of the missing hypo awareness