New tomato pill - Any thoughts

Rosyposy

The new tomato pill which was launched yesterday (Ateronon) is supposed to be very effective at lowering bad cholesterol. Has anyone any thoughts on how this might be usefulfor diabetics/

ATSBod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Attack of the Killer Tomato Pills? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only kidding (I hope) :shock:
... JK

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'll stick to eating tomatoes, even if David Mendosa tells me they contain fructose.

MrsPugwash

I'd want to see a lot more evidence than one 8 week clinincal trial. The Ateronon pill is not designed to lower cholesterol but "to help inhibit the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, a leading cause of plaque build-up in the arteries".

Plant sterols and stanols which occur naturally in fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, pulses and oils plant oils such as rapeseed, safflower and sunflower have been clinically proven to do the same job very effectively. Furthermore, the natural dietary sources of sterols and stanols are probably better absorbed by the body.

zanc

MrsPugwash said:
I'd want to see a lot more evidence than one 8 week clinincal trial. The Ateronon pill is not designed to lower cholesterol but "to help inhibit the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, a leading cause of plaque build-up in the arteries".

Plant sterols and stanols which occur naturally in fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, pulses and oils plant oils such as rapeseed, safflower and sunflower have been clinically proven to do the same job very effectively. Furthermore, the natural dietary sources of sterols and stanols are probably better absorbed by the body.

Also saves over £420 per year

Spiral

People want a quick fix and not do any work. no medication or medical procedure is without risk. I'll stick to the tomatoes.

The drug companies can't profit out of a tomato, they need something they can patent and sell at a high profit.

I find it ironic that so many of the health problems we have now are influenced by the lifestyle choices we make, yet the first response is to offer a pill :?

I was offered statins and metformin on Monday morning, both of which I refused, much to my GP's concern. I really do need to see how far I can take the diet thing alone. I might reconsider in 6 months time if I don't get the results I want.

sixfoot

Spiral ................. I wouldnt be so concerned about the Meformin, probably one of the Better treatments t2 will be offered as it works to overcome the insulin resistance. If you can do it without fair play to you but don shoot yourself in the foot.

Dave P

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I'm waiting for more evidence of how they can help people. This is highly suspicious as they haven't tested it for long. What about long term effects? :?:

Trinkwasser

Spiral said:
I find it ironic that so many of the health problems we have now are influenced by the lifestyle choices we make, yet the first response is to offer a pill :?

And the second response is to tell you to eat more of the things that make it worse <sigh>

Spiral

Trinkwasser said:
Spiral said:

And the second response is to tell you to eat more of the things that make it worse <sigh>

indeed :|