Hospitals and Nurses

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hi there,

We've just had a short stint in hospital as Khaleb had a throat infection and refused to eat for me and there were 2 newly diagnosed children in the ward. I was surprised to hear the nurses telling a 15 year old girl she wouldn't have to change her lifestyle or eating habits to manage her diabetes. I know it's good to have a positive attitide but I can't imagine that eating patterns could remain normal after diagnosis. For example, I watch my 14 year old non-diabetic son consume huge amounts of carb. Lollies and crisps can be eaten by the handful/packet. Is it better just to hear what you want to hear or get a bit more of an honest outline? I was also told to feed my son as normal at diagnosis but had terrible control so altered the timing of his meals and set amounts of carb per units of insulin. In this recent visit to hospital I had staff try and tell me what doses of insulin to give my son, he was diagnosed nearly 2 years ago. They would of killed him the first day in hospital. In the end my son's regular doctor at the hospital informed the staff that I could give whatever doses I felt appropriate as he knows I have good control and instincts for Khaleb's bsl's.

Anyway, I think I would of been better off staying home and just forcing the glucose syrup down his throat via syringe until he got over his virus as I picked up a horrid bug in the hospital and nothing was really done to help. It can be such a hard decision knowing when to stay and when to get help but I don't feel I can risk not going when Khaleb is so young and can't tell me how he's feeling.

How do other people feel about whether it is better to just give positive comments and advice or outline a more achievable plan to manage a relentless condition? I am a member of a group of other parents of T1 kids and we may be able to give a clearer picture to medical staff in an effort to educate them.

Jen.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I think what you are doing is admirable. YOU know what is best for Khaleb because you have worked it out for him. The Hosptal staff may be well meaning, doesn't always make them right ? The advice given to the young girl can be, but probably isn't right. Depends on her treatment.

Never just accept anything from Med staff if you know that it is not correct, or you believe it is not correct. Give your reasons. As you say you can help to educate too. Outmoded thinking needs to be challenged wherever it is found.

Hope Khaleb and yourself are now well.

Ken.

Lilybean

hia,

i agree with you entirely. there are so many different approaches to diabetes control and it's really down to the individual how they address is and what their priorities are. i was diagnosed on new years eve when i was 8 weeks pregnant with type 1 and i knew very little about the disease. i've listened to what everyone has to say and i've decided for myself that my life is very different now and that includes my eating habits. i have been told countless times by professionals that i can 'eat what i like' but the true fact is you cannot do this as a diabetic without there being consequences for daily control and more importantly the long term affects on your health and complications of diabetes. for me my long term health is important and if i can control my diabetes well on a daily basis that gives me hope that i'm looking after my body and the long term health is going to be better for me. although i agree if you want to have a treat now and again, it is possible as long as it is now and again but for me it's all or nothing. pre diagnosis i had the world's sweetest tooth so it's just easier that i've changed my diet completely and forget how lovely the naughty stuff nastes. it's working well and i find the the resentment i once felt because i couldn't eat these things has now passed and i enjoy eating fruit and salads etc etc.

people can give guidance but only the individual knows what works for them and what makes them happy and in control.

all the best