Latest HB1 ac result......

sandiegirl

Hi,
Just wanted to say thank you to the forum for giving me the opportunity to try and change my life and take control of my diabetes, rather than it controlling me. I would have drifted along in my own little world blaming eveyone else except for me for the way I was feeling. But after looking through the threads on here, I decided to change my diet and see what I could achieve.

Been to the Diabetic Nurse and my latest HB1 AC is 5.2!!!!! Yep, I cant believe it myself, especially as my last result on the 4th Feb this year was 7.7! And my DN's words as soon as I walked in was that she was absolutely amazed and then when I got on the scales and it showed that since the 4th Feb I have lost just over 2 and a half stone, she was gobsmacked! My other results ie lipids etc were not taken this time but will be done in 4 months time.

She was very happy with what I have done to achieve this result, especially as she is relatively new as a DN and she said it is very rewarding for a patient to take control and turn things around.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, just so pleased with myself that I cant stop smiling........ If I can do it, anyone can!!!

Take care
Sandie

MrsPugwash

Brilliant, brilliant results - it's so wonderful to hear about people achieving this kind of success, what an inspiration. You can rightly be very pleased and proud of yourself. :D

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Absolutely wonderful Sandie! What a fantastic achievement and if it inspires others to succeed then it's counts double!!!

All the best,

fergus

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Brilliant!
I found recently that 5.1% is average non-diabetic.
You REALLY have it under control

welshtony

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Sandie

Great results. Very Well Done! :p

Could you be a bit more specific about exactly what changes you think have contributed to these results? What have been your biggest 5 (say) changes to your diet and lifestyle? Losing 2 and a half stone in 4 months is a great role model for many of us....

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Fantastic news Sandie. I'll raise a glass to your continued success tonight! :)

sandiegirl

Thanks for all your good wishes, very much appreciated.

Welshtony - have had a think about the 5 most important changes I have made to my diet and lifestyle and here goes:

1. Joining this forum! And reading success stories on here....... and deciding it is only me that can change my destiny. I armed myself with as much info as I could and decided which course of action I was going to take.

2. I decided to go the low-carb route as this made the most sense to me. I cut out all potatoes, rcie, pasta and bread. I have an addictive nature (was a heavy smoker for 20 years and it took a lot of will power to give that up but I did it so knew that if I put my mind to it I could do it). I eat between 30-50g carbs a day, mostly from things like natural yoghurt, creme fraiche, fruit (any fruit that ends in berry seems to not spike me too much),nuts, cheese, salad etc. 3 months on and I still do not eat any potatoes, bread etc and do not miss it as I feel so much better for it.

3. Only having healthy things to snack on - my favourites at the moment are nuts and creme fraiche with raspberries in it and cheese. I have a teenage daughter and a partner who do not follow the low-carb with me so I still have things like bread, pasta, potatoes on the menu - I just pile my plate up with salad instead.

4. My mum is a T2 insulin dependant for 30 years and to be honest, she has had a few problems. She has had a toe amputated due to the Diabetes and now has neuropathy in her feet which has resulted in her falling down and fracturing her shoulder and her wrist. She now walks like a thunderbird puppet as she cant feel the floor when she walks!!. So this frightened me into doing soemthing about it - her control is not good and her BS levels are running high despite being on high doses of insulin.

5. EXERCISE - now I have to hold my hands up and admit that for the first 2 and a half months I did very little exercise. I was very overweight and even having a free gym and swimming pool at work, I really didnt feel like exercising. So its been quite a result to have lost the 2 1/2 stone BUT it then plateaud. And was struggling to lose anymore so have now started going to aqua aerobics with my daughter and its started to drop off again, And because I feel so much better in myself and look better, I am actually enjoying it - never thought I would hear myself say that!!

So there you go, hope its helpful to some of you. I know the low-carb debate can be quite heated but it has worked for me. I spent many years yo-yo dieting, doing the weightwatchers, slimming world etc and nothing ever worked. This is working and I shall continue with this now as a way of life, and hopefully will be here in all my glory to see my wonderful daughter get married and have children herself. And just think of the hat I can buy!!!!

Good luck,
Sandie

sandymaynard

Hi sandie,
That is great,well done on you! I wish i could be that good!
I am low carb, no paotatoes etc! I have my results tomorrow! Congratulations you should be very proud of yourself!
Sandy

Trinkwasser

sandiegirl said:
She was very happy with what I have done to achieve this result, especially as she is relatively new as a DN and she said it is very rewarding for a patient to take control and turn things around.

Absolutely brilliant!

And what a pleasure to hear of a nurse who actually *approves*!