maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arogance, Bullies, Rudeness, Discrimination towards diabetes
Hi Guys,
I found out 4 weeks ago that i'm 9 weeks pregnant with my first baby.
Big shock as it was unplanned, they've put me on 5mg of Folic Acid and are in process of sorting my insulin out properly.

Hoping to meet other ladies who are type 1 and due September/October time to share my journey with :D

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations hun, hope your feeling ok, there's loads of girls around that will be along to give you loads of tips n help :) xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Congratulations, that's lovely news, you must be getting quite excited now.:) My daughter is 14 now, but I know there are a few pregnant ladies about and anna29 started a thread. I will try and look for it.

Best wishes RRB :)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey. :)

A big congratulations too you , how exciting .
I'm a bit further along than you I'm due in May I'm 30 weeks pregnant , and 23 years old . Is lovely to talk to others who are going through the same experience . There's loads of lovely ladies on here for you to meet .

Good luck throughout your journey. And keep us all up to date. :)

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you all for your messages etc,
Finding it a big shock with how low my bms have to be but it's a good thing that now i feel high at 15 when that used to feel normal for me..

Having lots of hypos at night but trying to find stuff to balance it before bed, i've found Orange juice with Sparkling water helps alot :)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is so strange isn't it how everything just gets turned upside down and how it affects readings .

That's really good now your feeling better on lower readings and fount out what works for you too .

Exciting times. :)

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,
Congratulations hun!! It's all so exciting!!

I was in a similar situation to you, I'm 20 weeks pregnant now but when I found out it was a surprise and not planned.

My Hab1c was 8.2 when we conceived so not perfect! But I'm managed to lower it to 5.8!! Which I'm over the moon about.

Before becoming pregnant my control was terrible and I didn't check regularly! But now Iv completely changed and it couldn't have motivated me more

Good luck with everything, All the girls on here are brilliant, and it was a great support I found when I first became pregnant!

Xxx

Reactions: 2 people

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Madeline,
I was exactly the same, i also suffer from HMS, which can effect my Diabetes more than others..
My HBA1C Was high and the doctor started having a go at me, i was like hang on, i've only made these changes in the last 2 weeks, i was constantly 16mmol or higher, and for me now to be rarely over 12 is fantastic for me.. And it shows i'm getting there :D

xx

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hun that's amazing! Some doctors don't understand how hard it is managing your diabetes!! Makes me angry some times!

We had our 20 week scan yesterday and everything perfect and healthy! so try not to worry to much .. I did lol! A lot of women conceive with a high Hab1c and have perfectly healthy baby's!

Xxx

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good news, told diabetic nurse, she's putting a complaint into the student doctor haha she said no wonder it's so high when i had major jaw surgery back in October

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi :)

Congratulations - and well done on starting to control your sugars.

Just one tip I picked up that helps with pregnancy hypos - keep a bottle of Lucozade by your bed, and nearby when you're awake. I'd always used Dextrose tablets for my hypos, but Lucozade works really quickly. I haven't been without a bottle by me since early pregnancy.

I'm now 28 weeks pregnant and fighting insulin resistance, but I remember all those early lows.

Concentrate on yourself and baby and make sure you have lots of support so that you can get your sugars in the right zone. Never be afraid to ask for help or advice :)

Jbgreen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Mary Amy ! Congrats - fantastic news! Here are a couple of things that I discovered in the first trimester that helped me keep on top of my blood sugar - not sure if they work for everyone but it certainly helped me a lot!

Be prepared for an early morning peak just after you wake up - I'm on an insulin pump so have my basals set to rise substantially about 15 mins before I woke up. I also have a much higher insulin to carb ratio in the morning.

Take your insulin about 30-40 mins before you eat a meal and wait until your blood sugars are about 4 - 5 before you eat this helps avoid post eating spikes!

If you need to go for a 10 minute walk after you have eaten to help get your metabolism going (again this seems to help with post meal spikes).

The higher your blood sugar the more insulin you will need to get it down - I find that if my blood sugar is over 9 I need to take a bigger correction than I would expect. Going for a 20 min walk works wonders at getting it down faster!

Watch you don't overcorrect hypos - use lucozade or dextrose to get them up fast. This helps you avoid chasing your tail!

Be ready to simply respond to your latest blood sugar reading in the first trimester and to adapt your insulin regime a lot!

Wishing you all the best :)

Reactions: 4 people

emmarw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Although mine was planned I am only 2 weeks ahead of you! 11+4 today. Congrats on getting your bs down so well, and just ignore the ignorant doctors, they may have the medical knowledge but they are not diabetics! Im a little bit older than you (29) but if you want to keep in touch do message me, nice to have someone going through similar things!

Em.x

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Emma, you're only 1 week ahead of me actually as i'm 10 weeks today :)
I would definitely like someone else to message so will be in contact, thank you.

JBGreen I've tried what you suggested today and it definitely worked, although sometimes i don't know i'm going to eat until 10 minutes before but where possible i will try the 30 minutes before food thing!

Hypos seem to have stopped since i've been doing the whole juice before bed thing and my skin feels better too

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hiya, sorry only just got replies to this post after not having internet access for a month,
My pregnancy is going well.. Blood sugars a bit up and down which is frustrating.

I'm 18 weeks now :)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, sorry only just got replies to this post after not having internet access for a month,
My pregnancy is going well.. Blood sugars a bit up and down which is frustrating.

I'm 18 weeks now :)
Wow already 18 weeks that has seemed to of gone quickly . I've now had my baby boy :dummy:

Is very frustrating when your bms are not doing what you want them to do , hope your still doing ok. :)