blood glucose

april2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hospital and doctor appointments and people who thing they know what best for you.
I have just had a HbA1C test and it came back 40 so my doctor said I was not diabetic I do a low carb diet and have lost a lot of weight, I took my blood glucose for the last two days at tea time and it was 9.6 is this normal for non diabetic I did not eat anything different then I have been doing

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a tad high for an HbA1c of only 40 so something is spiking you. What do you mean you tested at teatime? Before? After? What's your version of low carb? We all differ.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I took my blood glucose for the last two days at tea time and it was 9.6

I'm a bit confused. Was this before, during or one or two hours after your tea? Did you test with freshly washed hands? Seems rather high, there may be a reason.
sally

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have just had a HbA1C test and it came back 40 so my doctor said I was not diabetic I do a low carb diet and have lost a lot of weight, I took my blood glucose for the last two days at tea time and it was 9.6 is this normal for non diabetic I did not eat anything different then I have been doing

If you test your BG before tea, then one and two hours after the first bite then you will have some meaningful results. Looking forward to hearing of your results.

You will find a lot of very useful information about testing etc here,

http://www.phlaunt.com/

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect your answer lies in what you are eating. Baked beans - lots of added sugar (usually), gammon - check the label, probably has added sugar or honey glaze, jacket potato - mainly starch, therefore high sugar, porridge - all turns to sugar in the body.
Do read up a bit more on low carb, check labels as well as beware of the "complex carbohydrates" or so called, "healthy whole grains", they are all sugar, once your body starts processing them.
Sally

Jenks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That doesn't explain why the hba1c result was low does it? I don't really understand this.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
before I had my tea I test and it was 6.4 two hours after 9.2 I only had one table spoon of baked beans, gammon, small pot no added sugar jelly the following day I had jacket potatoes and salad and two hours after it was 9.6 yes I washed my hands, I am going to check today, at breakfast had very small pot of porridge and it went to 9.3
Please don't get worried over the 2 hour test after a meal as it doesn't really mean much..For type 1s DAFNE recommend a 4 hour test after a meal as most insulins take up to 4 hours to do it's thing. For you, a non diabetic it may be just how your body works...glad you have your own meter etc but next time do a 4 hour test after a meal and see what reading you get.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Please don't get worried over the 2 hour test after a meal as it doesn't really mean much..For type 1s DAFNE recommend a 4 hour test after a meal as most insulins take up to 4 hours to do it's thing. For you, a non diabetic it may be just how your body works...glad you have your own meter etc but next time do a 4 hour test after a meal and see what reading you get.
i believe she is T2, Therefore a 2 hour test is better than a 4hour test.
Your spiking because your eating too many carbs. Porridge does horrible things to my blood glucose levels.

Eat to your meter.

carliannie

Hi I am also confused I was prediabetic for 2.5 years but recently my numbers were going up and was getting morning fasting numbers of 7.7 up to 8.2. So headed back to docs who done a blood test and came in at 7.4 so they ordered the hba1c which like sally came back at 40 but I was diagnosed as diabetic and put on metformin my understanding was that anything over 37 is diabetic am I wrong? And if so why am I being diagnosed and treated.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am also confused I was prediabetic for 2.5 years but recently my numbers were going up and was getting morning fasting numbers of 7.7 up to 8.2. So headed back to docs who done a blood test and came in at 7.4 so they ordered the hba1c which like sally came back at 40 but I was diagnosed as diabetic and put on metformin my understanding was that anything over 37 is diabetic am I wrong? And if so why am I being diagnosed and treated.
37 isn't diabetic. 42-47 is prediabetic and 48 upwards is diabetic. But your prick-test numbers on the other hand (no pun intended) are a tad high. Bit of a puzzle there, agreed.

Reactions: 2 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My understanding is that it is 48. Can't figure out this diagnosis.

Sure more guidance from those far more experienced than me will be along soon!

Reactions: 3 people

carliannie

37 isn't diabetic. 42-47 is prediabetic and 48 upwards is diabetic. But your prick-test numbers on the other hand (no pun intended) are a tad high. Bit of a puzzle there, agreed.
I have to say although I am not happy about the diagnosis I am happy to be receiving the metformin because my numbers were rarely below 6.9 for the past 2.5 years and when they went up to 7.7 and up I was getting a lot of symptoms such constant thirst, terrible fatique and problems with my vision so I am happy to get meds to bring them down. my father and brother are both diabetic and my brother has lost a leg and is on kidney dialysis so maybe with the numbers I was getting they just didn't want to take any chances.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have to say although I am not happy about the diagnosis I am happy to be receiving the metformin because my numbers were rarely below 6.9 for the past 2.5 years and when they went up to 7.7 and up I was getting a lot of symptoms such constant thirst, terrible fatique and problems with my vision so I am happy to get meds to bring them down. my father and brother are both diabetic and my brother has lost a leg and is on kidney dialysis so maybe with the numbers I was getting they just didn't want to take any chances.
Ah, makes more sense now.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My speculation (and it can only really be speculation) is that the diagnosis is based on the fasting test results, plus symptoms and family history.

Whilst nobody wants to be diabetic, at least your Doc is stepping in promptly, to give you the best chances of a good outcome. It's probably time to put on your researching hat and do lots of reading, so that you can formulate your own plan for taking this forward.

Good luck with it all.