does it take you longer to get over illnesses & injuries as a type1?

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband (who is the Type1 rather than me...) is now into the 4th week of a chest infection. he was a docs this morning who prescribed him further meds to help clear it. His skin always takes ages to heal from cuts and bruises too.... i wondered if this is a fairly common thing among diabetics?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Omg!! I must be your hubby's long lost birth twin!!!

I had 5 colds and chest infections this year till June...chest infections never cleared properly. Had general antibiotic..never worked. Had double strength x2 from dentist for gum abscess that shifted the chest infection for a week, but not the pain in tooth. Went back again few weeks ago, as still had chest infection. Got given 2 more of the strongest (malaria fighting) antibiotics and got told that it would be steroids next...

Never had anything like this before. Infection never went, so now had chest X-ray, and whole of abdomen scanned as well today. Results fully back on Monday. I was also given a spirometery test to see if I had COPD or asthma.. All clear.

I've never had infections and colds like this ever, and always was proud of it.

So, not much help, but if infection doesn't go...go back to GP.

I think because we have an autoimmune deficiency it can impact, but personally until this year I have never had to think about not healing...30 years T1 and can't say that I have been any worse than my hubby for getting over colds until now.

Hope somebody else can come a long and say.... Just a one off for both of you....as it is not nice. Sorry, but I am actually glad to hear that somebody else has had a chest infection that they can't clear.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Omg!! I must be your hubby's long lost birth twin!!!

I had 5 colds and chest infections this year till June...chest infections never cleared properly. Had general antibiotic..never worked. Had double strength x2 from dentist for gum abscess that shifted the chest infection for a week, but not the pain in tooth. Went back again few weeks ago, as still had chest infection. Got given 2 more of the strongest (malaria fighting) antibiotics and got told that it would be steroids next...

Never had anything like this before. Infection never went, so now had chest X-ray, and whole of abdomen scanned as well today. Results fully back on Monday. I was also given a spirometery test to see if I had COPD or asthma.. All clear.

I've never had infections and colds like this ever, and always was proud of it.

So, not much help, but if infection doesn't go...go back to GP.

I think because we have an autoimmune deficiency it can impact, but personally until this year I have never had to think about not healing...30 years T1 and can't say that I have been any worse than my hubby for getting over colds until now.

Hope somebody else can come a long and say.... Just a one off for both of you....as it is not nice. Sorry, but I am actually glad to hear that somebody else has had a chest infection that they can't clear.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lol... he has never mentioned anything about a twin! :p

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My lower legs are constantly a mess of semi healed scrapes and scratches from running and mountain biking. Not sure if they take longer to heal or if it's just the sheer quantity of them that makes it look that way.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's said that diabetes slow down the healing process and recovery time, I think much also depends on how well your diabetes is controlled, but I suppose much like non-diabetics some people heal quicker than others, personally I recover from things quite well and always have done even before I developed diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Blood n cuts I heal really easy..

Loving life

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I know Im t2 but colds and chest infections no problem its cuts that take forever, spent 11 months twice weekly visiting nurse for cut on shin, and 4 months every other day for a boil on my back under bra elastic.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I once read an interview with a diabetic who had kidney failure. He got a transplant, and they gave him a pancreas transplant at the same time. He said he was amazed how much more quickly he seemed to heal from cuts and illnesses after the transplant.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I once read an interview with a diabetic who had kidney failure. He got a transplant, and they gave him a pancreas transplant at the same time. He said he was amazed how much more quickly he seemed to heal from cuts and illnesses after the transplant.

Are we surprised no,

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have higher glucose levels then you do take longer to 'mend'
Personally I have relatively good control and wounds seem to heal fairly quickly. The scarring though takes much longer to fade. I had a dog try to take a chunk out of my leg almost three months ago, it's fine and was fine from a week after but even the part which was little more than a scratch is still evident....but that might just be an effect of age.

Reactions: 2 people

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have good diabetic control but a ****** immune system!! Even a common cold wipes me out for days, like the one I have now!! :(

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have higher glucose levels then you do take longer to 'mend'
Personally I have relatively good control and wounds seem to heal fairly quickly. The scarring though takes much longer to fade. I had a dog try to take a chunk out of my leg almost three months ago, it's fine and was fine from a week after but even the part which was little more than a scratch is still evident....but that might just be an effect of age.

My wound was on my shin bone, not much skin left so I had to grow new skin, got thrush in it thanks to nurse not washing hands, months on the scab is still there reluctant to soak it off as new nurse says if it aint broke leave it alone it will eventually fall off.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
My BG isn't even that high being prediabetic, but I have impaired wound healing. Had an abscess which hadn't healed after 6 weeks and 3 lots of antibiotics - oh and surgery - so that's what prompted investigations into diabetes in the first place. Since I started a LCHF diet and got my BG down, the abscess is now disappearing, as if by magic! Couldn't believe what a difference it's made.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't notice any issues with wounds etc but since I've had my diabetes I do seem to get more illnesses when I never did before. Also takes me much longer to get rid of things. I have had a bad stomach for around 3 weeks and am only now getting over it. Before diabetes I would have been over it in no time.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
If you keep your blood sugar in the non-diabetic range then your 'wounds' heal normally and quickly. I am forever getting blisters and cuts from running and cycling and they heal quickly because I keep my BS below 5.5 mmol at all times. Since I started daily exercising ~ 2 years in all seasons (i.e. cycling in the minuses, rain etc ) and all conditions I haven't had a single cough / cold / infection/ illness. In my opinion, If you follow the NHS guidelines for blood sugar levels then you can expect slow healing wounds and prolonged illnesses.

Scardoc

I'm sure, like most things, that there is too much going on inside the human body to determine whether or not it is diabetes that slows down the healing process. In the six years since I was diagnosed, and having always maintained a HbA1C in the 6's, I have no doubt that I don't heal as quickly as "normal" people. I react worse to insect bites and small cuts/grazes take ages to heal. Running and walking through the country on a regular basis means I am prone to bites/cuts etc.

It does concern me as I wonder what would happen if I suffered a major trauma.

artofmany

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who didn't leave the playground behind,
Food manufacturers who think sugar and preservatives need to be in everything
I take longer to recover from colds than I used to, and cuts, etc, heal shower. I'm Type 1 and my blood sugar is regularly over 7mmol/l when measured. I think that better control would lead to better recovery times.

Some people on here appear to be athletes. That's great, but just like people without diabetes, athletes are a minority. Everyone should try and exercise more, especially outdoors, but don't beat yourself up if you're not one of these 3 hours a day exercise / BG always 5.0 - 5.5 people. Frankly, I don't know how people like that work 40 hours, commute and see their families.

Increase exercise gradually, without making yourself ill, and you should start to see benefits. Your BG should be lower with less insulin needed for control, and you should get ill less often.

I'm ill right now because I didn't take care of myself, drank and ate too much for a few days. Lesson learned.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I seem to heal very well from scrapes, cuts, dental work and operations, I also seem to have been like it, pre diabetic too. Very rarely gets coughs or colds, but I do seem to get autoimmune conditions :rolleyes:

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It depends what it is really. If I get a cold it lasts the usual amount of around a week but my symptoms seem to hit me harder than most people don't know if that's because I have diabetes though, I get maybe 3-4 colds a year . If I ever get blisters from shoes they take a good couple of weeks to heal even when using antiseptic creams but I heal well if I get minor cuts and grazes and dental work has never been an issue for me.