Bravo2zero

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfit thin people who think all over weight people are unfit
Hi @Bravo2zero (Dave),
Hmmm - certainly under 3 is low, and is surprising if you are no longer on gliclazide.
I would be interested to hear other's views on this because they may have personal experience themselves.
I guess your low could be put down to a poor test strip reading - did you do only the one BG test when you were low? if that happens again it might be worth double checking.
Metformin works by suppressing gluconeogenesis within the liver - basically it surpresses the liver from secreting glucose from sources other than glycogen. Theoretically if you become a little hypo, your body should still have the capacity to manage this. A low BG causes your pancreas to secrete glucagon - this triggers you liver to secrete glucose through glycolysis (so this is the process where it converts glycogen into glucose) What I am trying to say is that metformin shouldn't impact on your body's natural ability to manage it's BG level. Consequently in theory your body will naturally take over and self-manage your 'low' without the need for taking on board more glucose.
Speak to your doctor about his however - keep a good record of the BGs you are recording and if you get a low reading in future, check at least once again just to be sure and take an average.:)
Thanks I still take 1 gliclazide after main meal, I do double check low readings just to make sure. I have had low readings more when I went down to 1 gliclazide than with 2. It's a mine field but hopefully it will sort its self out and in May when I have my 3rd Hba1c reading it will be lower than 59. My Desmond trainer said this was ok but Dn wants it between 42 and 52 ?
Appreciate your advice ( keep sending it)
Take care
Dave

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks I still take 1 gliclazide after main meal, I do double check low readings just to make sure. I have had low readings more when I went down to 1 gliclazide than with 2. It's a mine field but hopefully it will sort its self out and in May when I have my 3rd Hba1c reading it will be lower than 59. My Desmond trainer said this was ok but Dn wants it between 42 and 52 ?
Appreciate your advice ( keep sending it)
Take care
Dave

Hi Dave,
Perhaps you're getting lower BGs because you've lowered your carb intake - even taking into consideration your change in drug therapy? Or perhaps you're being more active?
Without writing everything down - what you eat and what activity you do along with regular BG readings it will be difficult for you to work out exactly why you are getting low readings and whether in fact you could manage your diabetes without gliclazide at all.
If you can go along to your doc/Dn armed with a diary of what you're eating/doing with regular BG results throughout the day they will be able to fine tune your meds and make sure you're given the optimum regime for you.
As to what your Desmond trainer said vs your Dn, I would ask what do you want your Hba1c to be?;)
(Apologies for going off-topic @stuffedolive )

Bravo2zero

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Dave,
Perhaps you're getting lower BGs because you've lowered your carb intake - even taking into consideration your change in drug therapy? Or perhaps you're being more active?
Without writing everything down - what you eat and what activity you do along with regular BG readings it will be difficult for you to work out exactly why you are getting low readings and whether in fact you could manage your diabetes without gliclazide at all.
If you can go along to your doc/Dn armed with a diary of what you're eating/doing with regular BG results throughout the day they will be able to fine tune your meds and make sure you're given the optimum regime for you.
As to what your Desmond trainer said vs your Dn, I would ask what do you want your Hba1c to be?;)

Thanks Thursday morn BG 7.1 and at lunch time 3.7
Fri morn 6 mile walk BG 5.6before and 5.0 after. Sat morning I did 6 mile walk BG 5.1 before, 5.1 after , Sun 9 mile BG 5.8 before 5.2 after,
I have made an effort to reduce carbs so it's maybe a combination of things, I am resisting recording food intake I just feel when I start that the Diabetes will have won, maybe if the levels were rising not lowering
I would love to have a normal BG level which regulates it's self not by medications ( what is normal)
You have a good knowledge so please don't be offended if I ask stupid questions,
Take care
Dave

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort

No worries it's all good stuff.

And Bravo2zero , you say you don't want to record your food intake but you are measuring your BGs. I'm not trying to be rude but that sounds a little perverse as food is the main impactor of BG.

Personally I don't want to measure BGs all day because I feel that then diabetes will have got the better of me. But I did find that keeping a food&exercise diary between Hba1c tests was a great way to 'normalise' my diet. Now I don't feel I need to keep a diary as I have a settled pattern of foods I eat and avoid and a settled pattern of exercise. Occasionally I reflect on any changes that may be creeping in and refer back to previous diaries which I have kept and make a note of any shifts in patterns between Hba1c tests. This allows me to explain any changes in my results and make adjustments accordingly.

This thread started because my physical aims had changed necessitating adjustments to my long term diet&exercise regime. If those changes then negatively impact my Hba1c I'll make other changes or just accept that my meds-free diabetes is a limiting factor on some aspects of my physical activity.

Reactions: 2 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Thursday morn BG 7.1 and at lunch time 3.7
Fri morn 6 mile walk BG 5.6before and 5.0 after. Sat morning I did 6 mile walk BG 5.1 before, 5.1 after , Sun 9 mile BG 5.8 before 5.2 after,
I have made an effort to reduce carbs so it's maybe a combination of things, I am resisting recording food intake I just feel when I start that the Diabetes will have won, maybe if the levels were rising not lowering
I would love to have a normal BG level which regulates it's self not by medications ( what is normal)
You have a good knowledge so please don't be offended if I ask stupid questions,
Take care
Dave

Hiya,
There's no such thing as a stupid question here.
I have a reasonable knowledge around diabetes, but I am in no way qualified to offer advice - only your healthcare team can do that. I can make observations though which may help a bit.:)
I appreciate that you're reluctant to make a detailed record of BGs and what you're eating - I didn't mean do it for the rest of your life though LOL (what a bore that could become!) but have a go for just a week - testing throughout the day (say five/six tests depending on what you're doing, so more if you think you might do something to send them up or bring them down) and keep a log of everything you eat.
The reason I suggest it would be useful as a source of information for your healthcare team is your recorded lows. For example, if you take your Thursday morning BG of 7.1, that falls to 3.7 at lunchtime with apparently no exercise. If you then chose to eat a low or even zero carb meal for lunch, I would be concerned that your BG could continue to fall through the afternoon. Even though your liver should be able to cope and release glucose to bring your BGs back up again, it might suggest that the gliclazide isn't really necessary after all.

Fantastic amount of walking by the way! You're not getting much of a lowering in your BG, but it will be definitely helping with your overall BG management. Have you thought of doing something a bit more strenuous? Raising your heart rate a little will probably give you a BG rise, but as a consequence you will gain better BGs for up to a couple of days after. If you then start to build muscle, you should see some excellent improvements.

Insulin sensitivity and exercise is all about increasing and mobilising the GLUT4 transporters in your muscles (these are the proteins that are able to transport glucose into muscle cells without any need for insulin) When you exercise they automatically mobilise to the surface of your muscles,and proliferate in number. This gives you better BG readings for 24 to 48hrs after you finish exercising, because they're all there gobbling up glucose.

Oh, also, a point to mention about having artificially higher insulin levels and eating carbs - when you have insulin constantly circulating around your body it can be very difficult to manage your weight, just because your body remains in 'fat storage mode' - or at least that is the common belief.

@stuffedolive, you mentioned about glucose/glycogen uptake after you finish exercising. You might like to try (if you can bear it!):hungover: drinking a bit of apple cider vinegar after a bout of exercise. This is believed to enhance and speed up glycogen replenishement. Although I don't think there are scientific trials that prove this in humans, there have been in mice - it's also used for racehorses to aid rapid recovery. :)

Bravo2zero

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hiya,
I have a reasonable knowledge around diabetes, but I am in no way qualified to offer advice - only your healthcare team can do that. I can make observations though which may help a bit.:)
I appreciate that you're reluctant to make a detailed record of BGs and what you're eating - I didn't mean do it for the rest of your life though LOL (what a bore that could become!) but have a go for just a week - testing throughout the day (say five/six tests depending on what you're doing, so more if you think you might do something to send them up or bring them down) and keep a log of everything you eat.
The reason I suggest it would be useful as a source of information for your healthcare team is your recorded lows. For example, if you take your Thursday morning BG of 7.1, that falls to 3.7 at lunchtime with apparently no exercise. If you then chose to eat a low or even zero carb meal for lunch, I would be concerned that your BG could continue to fall through the afternoon. Even though your liver should be able to cope and release glucose to bring your BGs back up again, it might suggest that the gliclazide isn't really necessary after all.

Fantastic amount of walking by the way! You're not getting much of a lowering in your BG, but it will be definitely helping with your overall BG management. Have you thought of doing something a bit more strenuous? Raising your heart rate a little will probably give you a BG rise, but as a consequence you will gain better BGs for up to a couple of days after. If you then start to build muscle, you should see some excellent improvements.

Insulin sensitivity and exercise is all about increasing and mobilising the GLUT4 transporters in your muscles (these are the proteins that are able to transport glucose into muscle cells without any need for insulin) When you exercise they automatically mobilise to the surface of your muscles,and proliferate in number. This gives you better BG readings for 24 to 48hrs after you finish exercising, because they're all there gobbling up glucose.

Oh, also, a point to mention about having artificially higher insulin levels and eating carbs - when you have insulin constantly circulating around your body it can be very difficult to manage your weight, just because your body remains in 'fat storage mode' - or at least that is the common belief.

@stuffedolive, you mentioned about glucose/glycogen uptake after you finish exercising. You might like to try (if you can bear it!):hungover: drinking a bit of apple cider vinegar after a bout of exercise. This is believed to enhance and speed up glycogen replenishement. Although I don't think there are scientific trials that prove this in humans, there have been in mice - it's also used for racehorses to aid rapid recovery. :)

Hi again, I do record my levels I just don't record my food intake, it is getting more protein than carbs most days
On the excersie front I am a retired through arthritis/ cartlidge problems a ultra distance runner, 3 marathons in 1 day etc, walking is the best exercise I normally walk 12 mile after work and enjoy the yorkshire 3 peaks ( 24mile) every month, I did it sept 14 unaware I was diabetic, what a walk that was ha ha nearly needed mountain rescue but finished and survived
Last weekend after my walks my BG didn't alter much, I would love to be able to run but I would end up in a wheel chair( no offence to anyone who is
I will give the vinegar a miss also LoL
I need my next HBa1c result to gauge what I am doing is on the right track
Taken care
Dave

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi again, I do record my levels I just don't record my food intake, it is getting more protein than carbs most days
On the excersie front I am a retired through arthritis/ cartlidge problems a ultra distance runner, 3 marathons in 1 day etc, walking is the best exercise I normally walk 12 mile after work and enjoy the yorkshire 3 peaks ( 24mile) every month, I did it sept 14 unaware I was diabetic, what a walk that was ha ha nearly needed mountain rescue but finished and survived
Last weekend after my walks my BG didn't alter much, I would love to be able to run but I would end up in a wheel chair( no offence to anyone who is
I will give the vinegar a miss also LoL
I need my next HBa1c result to gauge what I am doing is on the right track
Taken care
Dave

Holy smoke! you're a pro! - arthritis is a bit of a bu**er. Sorry about that.
It sounds as though you're taking a very sensible approach and you have already achieved loads! Keep it up - if you feel like getting on a bike (I don't know if cycling would be an option for you) come and join TeamBG on a ride. It would be great to have you along.:happy:
Don't blame you about the vinegar! - that was more for stuffedolive for the query about glycogen replenishment.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort

I've been a fan of cider vinegar for over 15 years since I first started suffering with gout/arthritis. Cider vinegar every day keeps me mobile. If I fall out of the habit then my joints remind me (painfully) after about 10-14 days, and I'm back on it!

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been a fan of cider vinegar for over 15 years since I first started suffering with gout/arthritis. Cider vinegar every day keeps me mobile. If I fall out of the habit then my joints remind me (painfully) after about 10-14 days, and I'm back on it!

Wow!
I might have to try it myself. :)

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya,

Hi Bebo321

Sorry but I disgree with you here. It's the advice that you and others on the forum offer that helps people better manage their diabetes not the healthcare team. I went on a DEREK course recently with the sole intention of getting food advice for low carbing and how to make an effective sports drink. Should have stayed at home - low carbing is extreme and they can't give advice on it!

Anyhow I've made a concoction that I have named Champions Juice! Use MySugar to log and analyse Bloods, Myfitnesspal for food and Icardio for milage and heart rates. All thoroughly recommended.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Bebo321

Sorry but I disgree with you here. It's the advice that you and others on the forum offer that helps people better manage their diabetes not the healthcare team. I went on a DEREK course recently with the sole intention of getting food advice for low carbing and how to make an effective sports drink. Should have stayed at home - low carbing is extreme and they can't give advice on it!

Anyhow I've made a concoction that I have named Champions Juice! Use MySugar to log and analyse Bloods, Myfitnesspal for food and Icardio for milage and heart rates. All thoroughly recommended.

LOL! It's okay @Baruney, I'm a huge advocate for peer to peer support! I just think it's important to declare that I'm not an expert - particularly with regards to an individual's meds etc and it's important to seek advice from a HCPs (having said that, this forum is useful to determine if your HCP is any good or not and ask to be transferred if it turns out they're a bit rubbish!)
Loving your Champion's Juice! Does it give you super powers?;)

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LOL! It's okay @Baruney, I'm a huge advocate for peer to peer support! I just think it's important to declare that I'm not an expert - particularly with regards to an individual's meds etc and it's important to seek advice from a HCPs (having said that, this forum is useful to determine if your HCP is any good or not and ask to be transferred if it turns out they're a bit rubbish!)
Loving your Champion's Juice! Does it give you super powers?;)

Well it comes in 3 varieties - or as I call them basic, enhanced and beyond performance. Each using the previous formula as a base to build upon. Again I am no medical expert but yes the Sildenafil in Formula #3 has anecdotally given the recipient certain super powers. ;););)