Newcastle Diet results so far

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh dear, @Jojo1980

As @vit90 mentioned, you do not need to use meal replacement shakes at all. @Andrew Colvin used real food and was successful reversing T2.

Yes that is true - I didnt do the shakes and neither did I stick rigidly with 800 calories but when I went over I burnt the extra with with extra exercise and lived on the endorphins.

Reactions: 8 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are all putting me to shame with your dedication.

Since completing ND 3 years ago and seemingly reversed T2, I have regained a fair bit of weight. Too ashamed to say how much, but I have to stop, even though HbA1c is still non-diabetic, and I am able to eat any type of carb and any amount.

I have to think, very seriously, and plan when I should go VLCD again. It works for me. I tried LCHF, that was heaven to a cheese lover like me. A greedy cheese lover. So the only solution to lose the weight that I know works is VLCD. The last thing I need is to see BG raised again, so I know what I have to do.

Just need to stop putting it off.

What made you stop? Was it that you did the 8 weeks or achieved a certain target weight or was it that you BG readings were at a target level? Dare I say so myself I have and am working so hard with the diet but my BG readings, although reasonably good in the 5s mostly, just won't get into the 4s. My BMI is nearly down to 23 and I can't surely have much more to lose, but maybe it is that extra. Wish I knew!

Reactions: 4 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
and why do you think you need it in the 4s? Nothing wrong with being in the 5s.

Reactions: 3 people

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
So I made this year my year to reverse my type 2 diabetes. Have only been diagnosed since last October but it wasn't too much of a shock as being from an Indian background and both my parents being diabetic i was expecting it at some point in my life.

As a lot of you have probably done you do a lot of research especially on the internet. I came across the Newcastle Diet and I saw the light so on the 1st of January of this year after a very heavy Christmas drinking and eating all the wrong foods I decided to give it a go with approval from my GP and here are the results.....

When first diagnosed my BS levels were touching 22 I have now bought it down to averaging under 5-6 and my blood pressure is now well in the normal range.

So after 3 weeks on this diet having had the results of my latest blood tests back my Hba1c is now 42mmo1/1 well under the 53mm01/1 it should be my GP was amazed.

I have lost nearly 7kg in weight over a stone in weight in old money so very near the 15% weight needed to loose but just out of curiosity will be doing the full 8 weeks.

Before anyone asks I'm not overweight I am now just over 11 stone about 71kgs and I am only taking 1 Gliclazide in the morning so a present everything is going to plan :)
When people say diabetes runs in the family....then its more likely that no one in the family runs ;) just a quote I read the other day :)

Reactions: 6 people

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've only had one issue with my results has anyone else had the same issue after ND my BG level fist thing in the morning is roughly the same as it was for the last reading the night before eg last night was 6.8 this morning was 6.7 and on some occasions it has gone up a couple of points the next morning?

Reactions: 2 people

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only had one issue with my results has anyone else had the same issue after ND my BG level fist thing in the morning is roughly the same as it was for the last reading the night before eg last night was 6.8 this morning was 6.7 and on some occasions it has gone up a couple of points the next morning?

After ND???? I think you mean night sleep....??? Remember the dawn effect....ive had 5.6 at night and 6.7 in the am....dawn effect is where the liver dumps glucose into the blood to help kickstart the body to get up...if only it was as simple as eat BG up not eat BG down....but it aint :)

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Yep have heard of that my readings pre meals are in the 4s and 5s after between 6 and 7 been off the Gliclazide for over a month now eat pretty much what I like but the last reading of the night compared to the morning slightly worries me and just wanted to know if anyone else after ND had experienced this?

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep have heard of that my readings pre meals are in the 4s and 5s after between 6 and 7 been off the Gliclazide for over a month now eat pretty much what I like but the last reading of the night compared to the morning slightly worries me and just wanted to know if anyone else after ND had experienced this?
yes very well known....google dawn effect....even on here there is info about it....
Also another interesting thing....go for a run...bam BG up....why you would say, im burning sugar....again short intense exercise, means the liver releases glucose into the system....adrenaline will also cause a liver dump (so dont get a fright :) )

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and why do you think you need it in the 4s? Nothing wrong with being in the 5s.

You may be right but it seems that a mid-4 is where to be. I have been doing more reading and being stuck in the generally mid-low 5s might be down to my low-carbing as well as low-calorie version of the Newcastle diet. I'd be very surprised if I wasn't in nutritional ketosis as my carbs are generally around 30g per day. There are several articles that indicate if you are in ketosis that BG levels become slightly elevated, although remaining in the normal range - this sounds like my situation. Losing a few more pounds won't do me any harm but I am getting tired of the calorie limit!

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When people say diabetes runs in the family....then its more likely that no one in the family runs ;) just a quote I read the other day :)

Interesting, so is the genetic factor a physiological one related to your liver and pancreas, etc., or is it to do with being genetically addicted to carbs, large portions and not exercising?! :D

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Since finishing ND have got back into running big time first thing in the morning Monday to Friday between 3-4 miles and upto 6.5 miles Saturday to Sunday as a bit of weight gain started to worry me I know weight gain after rapid weight loss happens

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes very well known....google dawn effect....even on here there is info about it....
Also another interesting thing....go for a run...bam BG up....why you would say, im burning sugar....again short intense exercise, means the liver releases glucose into the system....adrenaline will also cause a liver dump (so dont get a fright :) )

BG spikes like these are perfectly normal because the body is providing you with fuel in response to activity and in readiness for the fight or flight response. The real test is how quickly your system normalises the blood glucose levels - non-diabetics will achieve that quickly and substantially longer for diabetics (T2).

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@flashtash I think even non diabetics would have all this going on but just that they don't notice and we do coz we keep a track.

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What made you stop? Was it that you did the 8 weeks or achieved a certain target weight or was it that you BG readings were at a target level? Dare I say so myself I have and am working so hard with the diet but my BG readings, although reasonably good in the 5s mostly, just won't get into the 4s. My BMI is nearly down to 23 and I can't surely have much more to lose, but maybe it is that extra. Wish I knew!

My original goal was to reverse T2. That was achieved quickly. Did nine weeks to start, then a break of 8 weeks followed by another 6 weeks. Weight loss was good, but I used a Total Food Replacement method which became tedious. I have other impairments and health conditions, and needed 2 major surgical procedures within a short space of time. Relied on hospital food and other people cooking for me for approximately 18 months. With the stable, non-diabetic BG readings and HbA1c tests I no longer had the urgency to do reduce weight further. Immobility following surgery, and the food I ate meant I gained weight. As I still have non-diabetes BG levels I admit I am lazy about food as I am able to eat anything.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, really don't like that quote. It supports the fat, greedy , lazy stereotype.

Everyone in my family who has had T2 has been of average weight, or slim, and very active, apart from me, who was very active, and overweight on diagnosis.

Reactions: 3 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Well, I do not get dawn phenomenon always between 4.5 and 5.2 in morning and neither do I get raised BG levels when I exercise. I knock it down to 3.8 then it bounces up to 5.6 and around it goes again.

I do agree though that do not worry about it. Wait for your next HbA1c and be assured from your testing that you are not getting high spikes.

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I think I'm just panicking a bit but have done a bit of reading about the dawn phenomenon so aswell as my morning runs I may incorporate an evening walk after my meal