Testing - should we?

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told I was T2 in a letter and pretty much left to my own devices. I learnt how best to deal with T2 mostly from here.

I bought a testing kit and tested my blood. After 8 months or so I got called in to the GP and she put my testing strips on repeat prescription which I was surprised and pleased about.

I needed a repeat this week but I've been told I don't need to test, it tells me nothing and that all I need is a couple of blood tests a year to tell the docs how I'm responding to my medication.

I find this disempowering and astonishing. But am I wrong? What's the official advice on this and what is that practical advice?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told I was T2 in a letter and pretty much left to my own devices. I learnt how best to deal with T2 mostly from here.

I bought a testing kit and tested my blood. After 8 months or so I got called in to the GP and she put my testing strips on repeat prescription which I was surprised and pleased about.

I needed a repeat this week but I've been told I don't need to test, it tells me nothing and that all I need is a couple of blood tests a year to tell the docs how I'm responding to my medication.

I find this disempowering and astonishing. But am I wrong? What's the official advice on this and what is that practical advice?

They are saving money. Nothing to do with how you are managing.

I buy my own test strips, and get pharmacy to take VAT off as the strips are VAT exempt ( you have to fill in a form).

You could try to argue your case with GP if you find monitoring is helping you maintain control. Some will prescribe, but many don't.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
They tried that with me I fought my corner and kept my script.
My meter is my first tool ... then diet then metformin.
I have lost weight got control of BS lowered blood pressure and improved my cjolesterol by eating to my meter.
If my meter reads 6 I won't have porridge if my meter reads 4.5 to 5 I will.
On the odd occasion I find a 7 or 8 I regard myself as in bad territory and take more metformin and fat and liquid and can bring it down quite rapid.
My meter has gotten me to be the only diabetic patient at the practice who has shown improvements ... big improvements so do they want me to get fatter and sicker like all their other patients?
That clinched it I think.

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's so frustrating. I felt like I'd metaphorically been patted on the head and told not to bother myself WITH MY OWN HEALTH.

Think I'll carry on but buy my own.

Jack: those are amazing numbers, how did you get them that low? How often do you test? Do you have a blog I could follow?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You have been testing for a while and I believe you have got your blood glucose levels in some control.

Why should you stop just to please someone's cutbacks. If you can afford them. why not argue with your GP, and take your readings and show him how well you are doing.
I have to low carb. And keep my blood glucose levels down. How would I know what any food is doing to me and because I'm low carbing I'm losing weight so my body is changing. I've battled for my script even though I'm not diabetic.

Stand your corner!

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They said that the strips show nothing and it's impossible to say what meal they relate to. But I've seen the next morning's results if I have rice or pasta. He said it could just as easily be something I ate 2 days previously. It just doesn't sound right.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
They said that the strips show nothing and it's impossible to say what meal they relate to. But I've seen the next morning's results if I have rice or pasta. He said it could just as easily be something I ate 2 days previously. It just doesn't sound right.
Whoever it is is talking rubbish!
You metabolize your meals within the first few hours and insulin production depends on what you eat.
Unless you have really slow digestion, like my OH, then obviously you need to test.
We have all been there.

Eat to your meter.
That's a message often repeated on this forum.

Reactions: 2 people

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It feels like enough of a battle without having to fight the medical community too!

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh yeah! I've been at it, battling to getting a proper diagnosis since I was told to see my GP nearly 15 years ago.
Read my blog on my battles!
If you give up, you are helping a bean counter win! It's your health!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
It's so frustrating. I felt like I'd metaphorically been patted on the head and told not to bother myself WITH MY OWN HEALTH.

Think I'll carry on but buy my own.

Jack: those are amazing numbers, how did you get them that low? How often do you test? Do you have a blog I could follow?
LCHF diet it's been that simple.
I'm even reintroducing carbs .... when my meter says it's ok to do so.
Metformin with meals.
Full fat products.
Tinned fish in oil.
Nuts.
Pork scratchings.
Full fat plain yoghurt's with whatever I fancy flavouring them with .... fruit honey sticky sweet sauces but before I alarm you .... half a mashed banana will do four servings as will a spoon full of honey.
Maybe some jam mixed with the coconut and poured in ... I always warm it up a little to soften the coconut which goes in more or less every yoghurt.
Lemon juice and zest too.
Mashed up and sliced up tinned fruit or fresh oranges and pears.
In small amounts.
I soften coconut oil hard honey and the banana in the micro stir it all up and mix it in the yoghurt .... takes a couple of minutes and then into the fridge.
I consume four or five fresh lemons a week via yoghurt and green tea.
I'm three stone lighter in four months with lower blood pressure good BS control and improving slowly cholesterol.
If I hadn't come across this place with it's helpful people and amazing advice I'd be like all the other diabetics down my surgery .... deteriorating health.

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
maybe try asking if he will take full responsibility for your health and could you have his medical number etc so that if you health deteriorates you know who to sue?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi peridot
my favourite comeback when your GP tells you that you don't need to test -- ask if he drives his car without a speedometer

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
anyone on Gliclazide must keep an eye on blood glucose if they are low carbing or risk hypoglycemia which i did 10 years ago and ended up in hospital twice eating doughnuts and drinking lucozade

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not testing is like walking blind across a road with your iPod glued in your ears. You're going to get away with it if you're lucky. But you won't be lucky for long. You need to keep good control on your blood glucose to keep the long term side effects to a minimum. Feet and eyes are the first to suffer and if you're a fella another important bit suffers. :sorry:..Trust me cos I'm not a health care professional..:nurse: