Afrezza inhaled fast acting insulin

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It would be nice to hear from type1 who actually use Afrezza,not just marketing talk.I am sure if it is as good as has stated,we would of all heard about it.

Try looking up Eric Fenar Twitter . The actress Elizabeth Perkins is on it also.

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You might like to read this and it shows that it is not for everyone and there can be side effects.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/afrezza.html

I have seen that long time ago. I saw it the first day it came out. thank you.
No one I know has had broncho spasms or anything remotely like that. I promise to let you know if anyone I hear from has any side effects.
You do realize there are MANY fewer side effects mentioned than for ANY other diabetes medication ?? Other warnings on any other diabetes medication has a MUCH LONGER LIST.

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You may have seen it but other posters might like to read it too.

Correct, but your comments were directed to me for that.
This is a public forum and that is my hope that others will see that there is hope for a better way with diabetes. It is coming in time when we won't have so much of our day directed towards diabetes and will have more time to think of other things. Maybe I want to eat that pie sometimes and not be so concerned. I think sometimes my skin will turn green from all the brocolii and green beans I eat ! :) thank you .

C

catherinecherub

My comment was for everyone involved in the thread. Please don't try to suggest something that is not true.
You seem to want to preach about this and don't seem to want to take anyone else's comments on board.

You have made 27 posts about this topic, you are not a diabetic and you describe yourself as a Health Care Professional. That covers a wide range of occupations, what is your discipline?

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try looking up Eric Fenar Twitter . The actress Elizabeth Perkins is on it also.
Pretty big social media campaign going on then. All over Twitter and YouTube, but nothing from any ordinary users.

Billytrack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Correct, but your comments were directed to me for that.
This is a public forum and that is my hope that others will see that there is hope for a better way with diabetes. It is coming in time when we won't have so much of our day directed towards diabetes and will have more time to think of other things. Maybe I want to eat that pie sometimes and not be so concerned. I think sometimes my skin will turn green from all the brocolii and green beans I eat ! :) thank you .

Well I hope you are legit, genuinely, because it sounds very exciting to me. I also hope that it's not a false dawn, as we type 1's are no stranger to them!

I've been looking for information about Afrezza, and it was that which drew me here. I'm optimistic, but that optimism is tinged with cynicism, as a defence mechanism I think!

Anyway, hello to everyone, and let's hope this is as good as has been suggested.

Reactions: 4 people

~Anna~

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mountainman I'm pretty ecstatic about Afrezza! I've been a Type 1 Diabetic for 16 years and have only ever used premixed and basal/bolus analogue insulins, so to say the least that those few American Diabetics, whom I've read about, are having great results with an inhalable insulin is exciting! I'm currently at work, but I did have a few questions regarding Afrezza, which I'll post later tonight when I get home.

So they are not allowed to advertise for 6 months - looks like that are paying for people to do SEO on diabetic forums.
On the flip side, considering no advertisement is allowed for 6 months (which I find bizarre) once the product is on the market, word of mouth, on those forums for the very people that will use the medication, seems to be a fine way to get the word out.
I only came across Afrezza a few months ago, when I was reading a blog about one of the past inhalable insulins that was pulled from the market and one of the blog posters happened to mention Afrezza. I did a simple google search and found out about the trials being conducted in America. Its only since, I think, February that many Diabetics (including a Type 1 that I read about) are posting their results outside of a clinial trial setting, since its launch.
I'm from England, so I haven't tested this myself, but I'm glad that if the NHS does go ahead with Afrezza being prescribed in the UK I will definitely try it out and of course just like everyone else, I'm wary of side effects, so I'm glad that the Americans are trialing this first. If it happens to be released in 2016, in the UK, then we will have access to a years worth of information about any down sides.

I agree. This is the one thing I am missing in relation to all the posts on here. There is "afrezzauser", a marketing pwd, and then there is little else on the Web to either agree or disagree with mountain man.

Whilst the idea is marvellous, I'd like to here from at least two or three others of the 2000 or so people involved in the clinical trials.
And to everyone else wanting to know of other Afrezza users, here are 2 posters on an American Diabetes forum, posting their experiences with Afrezza.
One poster is a Type 1 Diabetic, who himself claims he doesn't have the worlds greatest diabetes control and what I find odd is that he doesn't accurately carb count for his meals, while using Afrezza, but is still getting great results. His forum name is bsharp6669:

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/type-1-diabetes/80425-afrezza-inhalable-insulin/

This is another forum poster, on that very same site, reen121, who is trialing a sample pack of Afrezza which her Doctor gave her:

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/personal-updates/82919-results-my-afrezza-usage/

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well I hope you are legit, genuinely, because it sounds very exciting to me. I also hope that it's not a false dawn, as we type 1's are no stranger to them!

I've been looking for information about Afrezza, and it was that which drew me here. I'm optimistic, but that optimism is tinged with cynicism, as a defence mechanism I think!

Anyway, hello to everyone, and let's hope this is as good as has been suggested.

I wish I could put up sites for you but they will only be deleted on this forum I take it.
I know, I didn't believe it two years ago either.
Here is the main concept - all injectable insulins are hexamers, that is insulin molecules attached to a zinc molecule. That is the reason it takes so long for it to get into the system and why it takes another 4 hours or for some even longer to be entirely out of the body. It is this "tail" that is the problem, causing the diabetic to potentially have a low unless they eat again 3 hours after the injection.
Afrezza is in the system and starting to work within minutes, uptake is fast, it does its job and leaves the body. Afrezza is a monomer that is very rapidly absorbed in the lungs as the lungs are lined with tons of tiny blood vessels.

Alfred Mann has said that this Technospere delivery system is the start of how many medications will be delivered in the future, with rapid uptake of the drug and very fast relief - he used migraines as an example where people would suffer with this terribly , yet it is shown that with the medication for pain delivered into the lungs, the migraine is gone in 3 minutes. I read an article on this last week - they showed some test results for different kinds of pain in an emergency room at a hospital where people presented with pain the in back, pain in the arm, pain in the abdomen, and for these cases they chose technosphere to relieve the person of their symptoms. It worked for each of the cases I read.
We have not only Afrezza to think about -- we will have a whole new method for taking drugs within a few years from what I see in current trials.
Sorry that last paragraph is not diabetes related, but I feel it is important just the same as we learn about a new generation of medications in general.

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@mountainman I'm pretty ecstatic about Afrezza! I've been a Type 1 Diabetic for 16 years and have only ever used premixed and basal/bolus analogue insulins, so to say the least that those few American Diabetics, whom I've read about, are having great results with an inhalable insulin is exciting! I'm currently at work, but I did have a few questions regarding Afrezza, which I'll post later tonight when I get home.

On the flip side, considering no advertisement is allowed for 6 months (which I find bizarre) once the product is on the market, word of mouth, on those forums for the very people that will use the medication, seems to be a fine way to get the word out.
I only came across Afrezza a few months ago, when I was reading a blog about one of the past inhalable insulins that was pulled from the market and one of the blog posters happened to mention Afrezza. I did a simple google search and found out about the trials being conducted in America. Its only since, I think, February that many Diabetics (including a Type 1 that I read about) are posting their results outside of a clinial trial setting, since its launch.
I'm from England, so I haven't tested this myself, but I'm glad that if the NHS does go ahead with Afrezza being prescribed in the UK I will definitely try it out and of course just like everyone else, I'm wary of side effects, so I'm glad that the Americans are trialing this first. If it happens to be released in 2016, in the UK, then we will have access to a years worth of information about any down sides.
-usage/[/URL]
[/QUOTE]

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no knowledge of any Mountainman on some finance site. I climb mountains, simple as that.
This is typical actually of why I spend so much time in the mountains, such negativism I don't need. Do you now understand why I spend so much time in the mountains ? I have a simple goal in my life, to work hard and inbetween that, help others . We all could use that lesson.
I find Afrezza to be a genuine leap forward and want to tell others about this drug that is of such great benefit as compared to all other diabetes medications. There is no other agenda there. Please find someone else to bother with having to defend themselves when they are trying to help.

Actually, that is exactly what happens to most really new ideas - it is disbelieved, it is made fun of, it is rejected because people have a hard time to open their minds and change. They go only with what they know and the current "standard of care." Well, the current standard of care is going out the window within the next few years. Why not get on track now with a healthier life for us all ?? I see no sense in waiting. Doing further damage to the body, as a diabetic, is the furthest thing from my mind. Looking for ways to level the BG and therefore lead a better, longer and safer life is all that matters.
As I said in my earlier post, I do hope Afrezza comes over here and it looks promising. I think there is a lot of paranoia out there these days about pharmaceutical financial gain. We will have to wait for NICE to make their findings, hope it's passed soon. I wonder if it will be available on prescription, this or next year.

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

And to everyone else wanting to know of other Afrezza users, here are 2 posters on an American Diabetes forum, posting their experiences with Afrezza.

One poster is a Type 1 Diabetic, who himself claims he doesn't have the worlds greatest diabetes control and what I find odd is that he doesn't accurately carb count for his meals, while using Afrezza, but is still getting great results. His forum name is bsharp6669:

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/type-1-diabetes/80425-afrezza-inhalable-insulin/

This is another forum poster, on that very same site, reen121, who is trialing a sample pack of Afrezza which her Doctor gave her:

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/personal-updates/82919-results-my-afrezza-usage/

YES, Maybe now more people will believe when I say you don't have to count carbs as carefully. I know, unheard of in the history of diabetes. People are only moderately careful and Afrezza adjusts somehow to that. AMAZING isn't it ! Now you see my interest in this and why.
It is time in the history of diabetes for a giant change in how it is treated and it is happening in the USA now.
You can indeed get free samples first time round if you live there. I have read bsharp6669 comments also. He is sooo very pleased with how his BG is .

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Unless you have compromised lungs, it is stated that Afrezza can be used by anyone, You don't have to hope, this is the real deal. It is reality, the reality that diabetes will no longer be the main thing in life, that tight control of BG is obtainable WITHOUT THE HIGHS AND LOWS, and life will be BETTER. To me it spells freedom. I promise you I will only write facts. I know, again, hard to understand how something can be so entirely different and amazing.

Billytrack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unless you have compromised lungs, it is stated that Afrezza can be used by anyone, You don't have to hope, this is the real deal. It is reality, the reality that diabetes will no longer be the main thing in life, that tight control of BG is obtainable WITHOUT THE HIGHS AND LOWS, and life will be BETTER. To me it spells freedom. I promise you I will only write facts. I know, again, hard to understand how something can be so entirely different and amazing.

Well I hope you are right, and thank you for the information.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm sorry @mountainman but you are still coming across as a PR dude. Especially with the careful capitalisation of specific phrases in your posts. I can understand that you might be a health care professional but to have said the same thing roughly 20 times smells somewhat of propaganda. And while we are unable to get our hands on this stuff in the UK, it is also somewhat frustrating. Yes, Afrezza looks great and the five people that you've been able to point us at say it is great.

When there are some users who don't seem to be linked to the pr machine talking about how great it is then you may get a warmer reception. In the meantime, those of us who have seen this things come and go over the last 30 years are somewhat cynical until we can try it for ourselves. Look where Sanofi's Lantus got some of us..... We don't always believe the hype.

Reactions: 10 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@mountainman
Like Tim2000s I have concerns over your postings too. I was very grateful to get my Insight pump as a pre public launch, and although I do enthuse over it, I am as a non paid, impartial diabetic lay person able and certainly do give honest feedback on the cons.
You say you are a mountain man with medical knowledge but you do not speak in plain layman terms.
So much so that I am of the mindset not to get enthusiaric or even reading this thread anymore.
Even persons enthusing over the Abbott Freestyle were able to give balanced viewpoints.
Something to me is just not adding up right with your viewpoint of this product.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Product name mentioned 23 times in this post - straight from the Marketing Dept.

It's a shame as this looks like an interesting product. We want to hear real user experiences.

marketing.png

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Product name mentioned 23 times in this post - straight from the Marketing Dept.

It's a shame as this looks like an interesting product. We want to hear real user experiences.

View attachment 12490

I see that you like to count ! I don't do negative bud, sorry. Total waste of time. Try to enjoy life, you'll feel better.
I write facts and nothing else. If you ask me something and I don't know the answer, I will say so immediately..
Hang on to your hat - real user experiences are in the making. The problem now is the backup as people wait weeks to get into their endocrinologist. I know several who still need to wait another month.