Can anyone help?

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
Hello, I wonder if you might be able to help with a question I have about someone with type 2.She is a woman with a Learning disability and I know her through my work. She is prescribed Humalog twice daily, is this common? she is not carb counting and is told to take the injections morning and evening. Why would a short acting insulin be used in this way? Also is anyone else on a similar regime? I am type 1 and use Humalog in my pump but had not come across anyone with type 2 being treated this way. Thanks if you can help.Rx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hello, I wonder if you might be able to help with a question I have about someone with type 2.She is a woman with a Learning disability and I know her through my work. She is prescribed Humalog twice daily, is this common? she is not carb counting and is told to take the injections morning and evening. Why would a short acting insulin be used in this way? Also is anyone else on a similar regime? I am type 1 and use Humalog in my pump but had not come across anyone with type 2 being treated this way. Thanks if you can help.Rx

I'm also on Humalog and inject twice a day. Mine is a mix, but I'm T1.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So if it's a Humalog Mix, then that's not a short acting insulin, more a medium, and it would fit with the situation you are describing (including learning difficulties) and is probably the safest option for her.

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
Thanks, she certainly said Humalog but has had a bit of stress lately so I will check again.I have known a couple of people over the years who have had learning difficulties and who had one or other type of diabetes. I have been and am quite concerned that poorer control is accepted if not expected and that amongst other health inequalities this leads to poorer health and shorter life expectancy for diabetics who had learning difficulties. I plan to offer some support when she next has a clinic appointment. Fingers crossed.Rx

Reactions: 2 people