New confused

mrslmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been told I am diabetic by my doctor and to be managed by diet alone. I have someone who says they very much doubting as I am not insulin or medication dependent. I don't want to have it but I'm starting to feel like I'm a fraud. I also have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi welcome to the forum. A number of people on here, myself included, have Type 2 diabetes which is controlled by diet alone. Most of us tend to do it by cutting down on the number of carbs that we eat. Can I ask what your BS level was on diagnosis?

Reactions: 2 people

mrslmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know it was all so much, I asked if I needed to monitor the bloods and medication it was no to both. I will call my doctor Monday and ask them.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly welcome to the Diabetes Forum. Your readings of 7.1 mmol/L for both fasting blood tests shown that you have crossed the criteria threshold and do have diabetes.
It's not the end of the world, it's the start of a new beginning, and now you know that you have diabetes you can learn to live with the condition. Millions of us have diabetes and we get by.
Take on day at a time. Though being able to test your own blood glucose levels at home is a good thing, for some reason (cost to the NHS) they have decided that Type 2 on diet control alone don't need to test their blood glucose. There actually wrong and This may pRoove to be a false economy in the long term.
If you choose a sensible diet that is appropriate to you (many use a Low Carb High Fat diet) you can keep your blood/glucose levels well controlled just through diet alone, and if it is with a little exercise along the way then you should be fine.
There is much to learn and absorb about diabetes when you are first told that you have it, so take each day as it comes and if there is anything that you aren't sure about please ask here on this site. The information is from real diabetics and The best that you will ever find.

Dave Brierley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum, firstly you don't need a tester but regular testing enables you to know what type of food makes you blood glucose (bg) go high, testing is done by testing you bg with the first bite of a meal then 2 hours after, now anything that makes your bg 2 units higher after the 2 hours is something you should either not eat or cut down the amount of it you eat.

The test kit quite a lot of people on this forum use the codefree test kit which is quite low priced and the strips are also low priced, test kit can be obtained here, http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

Now you are diabetic you don't need to pay for prescriptions and vat on the test kit and strips.

mrslmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am deit managed only no meds needed so I have to pay for prescription. I do however pay a monthly prepayment card for script.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Those fasting figures indicate you have just moved into the diabetic range. As others have said, with a low-carb diet you may move back out but you will still be diabetic if only marginally. Maintaining the new diet lifestyle may mean you never progress further and currently I can see why medication isn't needed. Having a meter and doing very occasional checks 2 hours after a meal will help you know where you are. You will be looking to stay below 8.5 mmol.

Reactions: 4 people

mrslmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to nurse today she said your diagnosis is in dispute I will need another 3 month and 6th month bloods as she says in IGT not diabetic yet. Doesn't want to label me i said great what about the passed 5 weeks of trying to come to terms. Now back in limbo. Yes or no please!!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
how about pre-diabetic if your sugar drink test is ok?
it comes back to looking after yourself by reducing your carbs and getting your weight right
This gives a simple overview to how it works
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. They don’t give up easy and it’s biochemical

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it is confusing, and your bg level is just over so...I am guessing that diagnosed diabetes may effect various things such as insurances. So in a way she is being helpful by not 'labelling' you. However, this is a bit of a wake up call, a chance to take control and make some changes. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 people