Type 1: Prescription fine

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thanks - my address on the prescription was updated as soon as I moved because we changed doctors as it was in a neighbouring county. I couldn't sleep last night for worrying I am going to get over £1000 of penalty notices landing on my mat

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
In the latest Diabetes UK (nothing to do with this forum) newsletter today it seems that they are concerned over diabetics being "targeted" and fined for not having the correct paperwork and are to take it up with the NHS.

Full story here http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News/People-with-diabetes-fined-for-claiming-free-prescriptions/?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=MORE+INFORMATION+ON+FREE+PRESCRIPTIONS+AND+HOW+TO+PREVENT+BEING+FINED »&utm_content=MORE+INFORMATION+ON+FREE+PRESCRIPTIONS+AND+HOW+TO+PREVENT+BEING+FINED »&utm_campaign=March+e-newsletter+2015

A short quote:

"
Diabetes UK say that the current crackdown is unfair on people with diabetes, who are being penalised for a lack of effective communication and inconsistent administration of the policy from the NHS BSA and Department of Health.

The charity is calling for an amnesty on fines for people with diabetes until the need for a medical exemption certificate has been properly communicated by the NHS BSA and pharmacies."

Reactions: 8 people

diabeticjedi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My pharmacist always checks mine and writes down the number and i been using them for ten years.My original GP told me about the forms i had to fill in so i was lucky there.Its a bit of a minefield as i know others who have not got them either.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I received a fine plus prescription charge totaling £124. I complained. Original letter was dated 11th January. They were persistent that the exemption certificate was the individuals responsibility.

I told them to take me to court where I would counterclaim for the hurt feelings and stress this was causing and the consequent damage this stress could cause to my health.

They backed down and cancelled my fine and all prescription charges. Took 6 weeks.

Complain and persist people.

If you haven't deliberately mislead them then you haven't been dishonest. You have not committed fraud. Don't accept them trying to criminalise you because of flaws in their procedure.

Reactions: 5 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well well well.

I picked up my stash from my local regular Boots the chemist's today and for the first time I noticed printed labels stuck onto all my various paper bags saying "NHS No Levy - £0.00" along with my name. I asked the pharmacist what it meant. She said it meant I was exempt from prescription [charge]s because I had an exemption card. I protested that I had never shown them my exemption card (and I could have added, never been asked for it). She replied "well we know you are a diabetic from the prescriptions".

Common sense?!?! Whatever next?! Fine them all, that's what I say! Fine them! Fine them!

Reactions: 4 people

KK1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I put in an FOI asking how many Diabetics had been fined and got a we don't know response - see link to FOI
https://www.ppa.org.uk/NHSBSA_foiRequest/foiRequestDetail.do?bo_id=5125

Having gone through the BSA complaints process (2 levels) I have written to the CEO (who incidently saw his remuneration package increase last year from £135,000 to £190,000) stating that I do not think his claim was legal but have not had any response. I have sent a reminder, again without reply. I have raised a complaint with the Parliamentary and health service ombudsmen http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/ and am awaiting a reply.

Reactions: 7 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't live in the UK anymore so I am not about to get any penalty (I think) but I was diagnosed as a child nearly fifty years ago, and I do remember asking my pharmacist about the exemption certificate probably about twenty years ago, he explained how to get one, I got one and I renewed it at least once. Before that I had been told to tick the box many times, till it became a habit and I had some kind of vague idea of my exemption certificate being a vaguely blessed icon retained somewhere in the hallowed halls of the NHS. In other words I thought it existed but that it didn't reside in my house. "Holding" a certificate is not the same as "having" a certificate. I hold a degree from London university. But it is a "disembodied" phenomenon. The certificate itself may be lurking somewhere In a cupboard, but I haven't seen it for years, and nobody has asked to see it for years. I am still qualified whether anybody sees it or not. I think that's part of the problem here. We see ourselves as "holding" exemption (possibly because it is the single advantage we have - you know we get our paracetamol free because we have a lifelong affliction, yay!) and the certificate is only proof that someone somewhere has a list with our name on it that says we have a permanent health condition. So, in a court, I think it would be a doodle to prove lack of intent to deceive. I think there should be a "Can't pay, Won't pay!" Campaign.

Reactions: 7 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Reading through this board, it seems to me they are NOT doing random checks, but they are deliberately targeting diabetics. There's no other way the number of people here who have received a penalty can be explained. My guess is that it's much harder to check the exemption status of people who are/were unemployed, but if you see "insulin" on the script it's easy. I think Diabetes UK also need to ask in parliament about which scripts exactly were checked and how " random" the process was. Seems to me there's a possible offence under the Disability Discrimination Act here.

Reactions: 8 people

KK1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reading through this board, it seems to me they are NOT doing random checks, but they are deliberately targeting diabetics. There's no other way the number of people here who have received a penalty can be explained. My guess is that it's much harder to check the exemption status of people who are/were unemployed, but if you see "insulin" on the script it's easy. I think Diabetes UK also need to ask in parliament about which scripts exactly were checked and how " random" the process was. Seems to me there's a possible offence under the Disability Discrimination Act here.

The response I got to the FOI syas the BSA don't hold the information on how many diabetics have been penalised, but your point is a good one. The process may indeed show bias against easy targets.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The response I got to the FOI syas the BSA don't hold the information on how many diabetics have been penalised, but your point is a good one. The process may indeed show bias against easy targets.
Could you do an FOI request to ask for their methodology? They can't claim not to have a record of that, surely.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I put in an FOI asking how many Diabetics had been fined and got a we don't know response - see link to FOI
https://www.ppa.org.uk/NHSBSA_foiRequest/foiRequestDetail.do?bo_id=5125

Having gone through the BSA complaints process (2 levels) I have written to the CEO (who incidently saw his remuneration package increase last year from £135,000 to £190,000) stating that I do not think his claim was legal but have not had any response. I have sent a reminder, again without reply. I have raised a complaint with the Parliamentary and health service ombudsmen http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/ and am awaiting a reply.

It says that this is completed... And finished. So what response did you actually receive for the figures? Looks like you have slready andwered my question....

KK1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It says that this is completed... And finished. So what response did you actually receive for the figures? Looks like you have slready andwered my question....

there is a link to the actual response but it says
"I have established that the information you requested is not held by the NHS Business Services Authority. We would have information on how many people ticked the medex category who were not exempt but this is not broken down into the condition i.e diabetes. Therefore it is not possible to provide an answer to this question as statistics on the type of exemption are not held."

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So it would be interesting to see the total breakdown... All the same...doesn't matter what disease we have to get an exemption certificate...ut would still be interesting.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It's not only diabetics who are being targeted , it's everyone who signs to state that have a valid medical exemption certificate.

It is cross checked on the database with the name and address of the claimant, and the records of the MEDEX database., not what is actually being prescribed . The persons employed are not medically trained and will not recognise what the prescription contains, therefore cannot identify a condition that could be exempt.

The reason why it looks as if diabetics have been targeted is because this is a diabetes forum, but the same concerns are being raised, and reports coming in of fines in forums connected with other conditions too.

The database of those holding exemption certificates is actually quite a bit smaller than the one for those who are exempt for other means , so even with random checking, it will flag up a lot more frequently than say, those claiming exemption via a HC2 ( low income) form .

Its not disability discrimination either, as the same checks are being carried out on those who claim free prescriptions for reasons other than having a medical exemption certificate.

Btw, I don't work for them, so please put down the pitchforks and flaming torches :D

Signy

Reactions: 12 people

autoimmune chrissy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im just waiting to find out how much im getting fined,iv been with out exemption since sept,iv had so much going on in my life lately,I didn't deliberately do it,the system needs changing asap, does any one know if there s a petition going ?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Im just waiting to find out how much im getting fined,iv been with out exemption since sept,iv had so much going on in my life lately,I didn't deliberately do it,the system needs changing asap, does any one know if there s a petition going ?
You won't get a 'Penalty Notice' unless one of your prescriptions is picked up by the random checking system.

Have you applied for a new certificate yet?

softgirl123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
that's strange, I got mine less than 2 weeks after filling in the form at GP reception

maybe go to GP and ask there, and/or call NHS BSA ?
5 to 10 days.but i think there will be a back log.if thats the right saying.i got a penaltry for not having an up to date medical excemption card.someone on here adviced me to pay for prescription and u shouldnt get a penaltry so did pay approx 8 pounds.then they waived the penaltry.but put up a fight.its principle with me.

softgirl123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Im just waiting to find out how much im getting fined,iv been with out exemption since sept,iv had so much going on in my life lately,I didn't deliberately do it,the system needs changing asap, does any one know if there s a petition going ?[/QUOTmy penaltry been waived after someone said pay for the prescription .fight it then u shouldnt get a penaltry .that worked for me.as i didnt renew .after years of not being asked to see it and moving.like with me its the principle.

softgirl123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
it brought a big worry as it was out of date for years .moved house so didnt get a reminder ,never got asked for it.i couldnt do anything i was in shock.worried about if they would go back years..they dont realise its a shock..and nhsbsa are wrong for doing this to people.