Low carb meal ideas

Teeny75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ill informed people!
Hi Vixy, alot of diabetics tend to stick to a low carb diet because the more carbs you eat the more insulin you need which ultimately leads to weight gain (the same as it would in a non diabetic) Also because carbs are released at different rates it can make getting good control more difficult.

I find if i eat carbs my sugars are all over the place, ive been a type 1 for 14 years and low carb definitely works best for me. Obviously a child will need carbs as they are growing and developing but try and get some advice on the "good carbs" and what will be easiest to control and calculate for.

Kids do not need carbs to grow!!!! :) i guess eating the right kind of carbs from green leafy veg, nuts etc will help but they are not the building blocks for growth - they aid energy, once fat adapted (bodies preffered fuel) you will burn fat as fuel.

Reactions: 2 people

Teeny75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ill informed people!
Yep I am wading through it on the Kindle right now. The group I mentioned earlier are predominantly T1 children and they have had great success getting normal A1Cs of a non diabetic in their children. I am told but don't know where to find the studies that carbs are actually not essential in children despite what the medical professionals have been telling us all these years but they know where to find the data that backs it up. Their own children are normal, happy, energetic children with no issues from low carbing whatsoever. Their brains haven't stopped functioning in other words! But each to their own and you must do your own research and be happy with whatever you choose. I am thoroughly enjoying Bernstein's way of eating.

Ali
I am obe of those patents :) my child is growing, her brain has not melted and most importantly her diabetes is under control :)

Reactions: 3 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The results are astounding Teeny75 aren't they and yet there is such a backlash if you dare mention to somebody seeking answers that low carb might work. :-(

Ali

Teeny75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ill informed people!
The results are astounding Teeny75 aren't they and yet there is such a backlash if you dare mention to somebody seeking answers that low carb might work. :-(

Ali
Or tell your paed consultant/dietician etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:

RPa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I'm looking forward to downloading these books. I was just wondering if anyone would take insulin for a salad that contains

Lettuce
Ham
Feta
Cucumber
Tomotoes
Olives

This is what I've been having for lunch. I've not been taking insulin. 2 hrs after eating it my blood was 9.2. So I'm not sure if it a bolus that I need or it's my basal that is too low. I'm confused!!!!

Thanks

Teeny75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ill informed people!
Y
Hi. I'm looking forward to downloading these books. I was just wondering if anyone would take insulin for a salad that contains

Lettuce
Ham
Feta
Cucumber
Tomotoes
Olives

This is what I've been having for lunch. I've not been taking insulin. 2 hrs after eating it my blood was 9.2. So I'm not sure if it a bolus that I need or it's my basal that is too low. I'm confused!!!!

Thanks

How many grams of each? Everything but tge feta will have carbs!

RPa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I just looked it up on my carbs and cal app. It's about 4g of carbs that I would need to take.

Thanks.

Teeny75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ill informed people!
Yeah I just looked it up on my carbs and cal app. It's about 4g of carbs that I would need to take.

Thanks.
Dont take this the wrong way but i wouldn't entirely trust carbs n cals. I just put all of that into myfitnesspal and got 9g carb, tomatoes are quite carby, maybe you had less than iv put on there but i would say its far more accurate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-19-11-12-26.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-19-11-12-26.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 210
  • Screenshot_2015-03-19-11-12-35.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-19-11-12-35.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 206

Teeny75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ill informed people!
Fully committing to low carb will mean insulin to carb ratios will change too

RPa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi teeny75
Definitely not taking it the wrong way. Thank you. I welcome any help. I'll download this now.
Thanks

Teeny75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ill informed people!
Hi teeny75
Definitely not taking it the wrong way. Thank you. I welcome any help. I'll download this now.
Thanks
How have you been getting ok RPa?

RPa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Teeny75

Much better control this week. Bloods are ranging from 5-8. So I'm happy. Weekends are a but tricky because I wake up about 3 hours later so sat and sun I woke with sugars of about 3.2. So I need to have a weekend setting on my pump if that's possible! I'm a bit worried about next week. I'm a teacher and I'm on holiday-so I'm scared my change in routine will mess with my levels

Thanks for ur help

Allaboutbg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes it is, but why does that matter? Sorry I'm new to it all!
Hi there, I wondered Vixy tic how you got on with discussing low carbs with the health care professionals for your daughter and if indeed you are doing it. My daughter's health care team say that as she is in puberty and growing so much and doing alot of sports training (every day) she needs carbs. Certainly she absolutely craves them. However, her Ab1c is not great so I've very excited reading here that low carbs might improve things. If anyone one else is doing huge amounts of excerise and doing low carbs would be interested to hear from you.

RPa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there, I wondered Vixy tic how you got on with discussing low carbs with the health care professionals for your daughter and if indeed you are doing it. My daughter's health care team say that as she is in puberty and growing so much and doing alot of sports training (every day) she needs carbs. Certainly she absolutely craves them. However, her Ab1c is not great so I've very excited reading here that low carbs might improve things. If anyone one else is doing huge amounts of excerise and doing low carbs would be interested to hear from you.
Hi Allaboutbg
I started my low carb diet a couple of months back. My Hba1c was 10 this time last year. I just had it checked a week ago and it's now 6.8. So low carb diet really does work. I also exercise 3-4 times a week quite intense cardio. What works for me is:-

If I workout first thing in the morning I take 3 units of insulin a sl

RPa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Allaboutbg
I started my low carb diet a couple of months back. My Hba1c was 10 this time last year. I just had it checked a week ago and it's now 6.8. So low carb diet really does work. I also exercise 3-4 times a week quite intense cardio. What works for me is:-

If I workout first thing in the morning I take 3 units of insulin a sl
Sorry this sent before I finished.

Morning- 3 units of insulin with a slice of brown bread
Afternoon-I'll have some almonds or mixed nuts about 70g 2 hrs before and then 30 mins before a banana.

I'm on a pump-is your daughter?

Hope this helps

Thanks
RPA

Allaboutbg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry this sent before I finished.

Morning- 3 units of insulin with a slice of brown bread
Afternoon-I'll have some almonds or mixed nuts about 70g 2 hrs before and then 30 mins before a banana.

I'm on a pump-is your daughter?

Hope this helps

Thanks
RPA
Thanks for your reply. Do you not bolus for the 70g 2 hours before or the banana? Do you ever put a - percent on the basal on your pump? My daughter is on a pump. She tends to hypo quite a few hours after the exercise so difficult to know when to give the xtra carbs.

DrPrakash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.

I've started a low carb diet about a month ago. I've Still got fluctuations with my blood levels.
Can someone please share the sorts of things they eat especially if they have found it's working
My typical day is

Breakfast: one slice of wholemeal bread and a boiled egg

Snack: apple

Lunch: 300g of soup (half a carton) and a tangerine

Snack: 70g of almonds and cranberries or a low fat yoghurt

Dinner: meat and veg or salad

Maybe I'm still eating too many carbs???

Thanks
You have not written what medication and when do you take it? and what is fasting and post postprandial sugar level...

Hi.

I've started a low carb diet about a month ago. I've Still got fluctuations with my blood levels.
Can someone please share the sorts of things they eat especially if they have found it's working
My typical day is

Breakfast: one slice of wholemeal bread and a boiled egg

Snack: apple

Lunch: 300g of soup (half a carton) and a tangerine

Snack: 70g of almonds and cranberries or a low fat yoghurt

Dinner: meat and veg or salad

Maybe I'm still eating too many carbs???

Thanks