Afrezza inhaled fast acting insulin

Billytrack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My name is Brian. I also use Afrezza. I am not an investor in anything....wish I was... the money they spend on OUR medical needs is the only reason any of us have any insulin to begin with.

I've been using Afrezza for a few weeks now and my results are incredible. My last A1c when I was on Humalog was 10.1 and my A1c that will be entirely Afrezza may be below 6. If it's not below 6 it will be really close to it.

I have had excellent control with Afrezza. It doesn't work anything like any other insulin I've ever used. Right when I 1st started using it I joined a thread very much like this one. I was attacked constantly, called a liar, an investor and so forth.... It was a really bitter experience for me. I'm not going through that again just for posting my amazing results I have. What I am going to do is continue to live my life using Afrezza and having Non-diabetic like readings everyday. I may not live forever, but I will live like a Non-diabetic from now on.

Afrezza does so much more than just be a fast acting super easy to use insulin. It's been a life changer for me. I hope it gets approved in the U.K. so it can change some lives with you as well!

I wish you all the best of health and happiness!

Brian

Aye, but sorry, you don't actually have any results yet according to your post? Fair enough if that was a mistake?

Reactions: 2 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's very interesting how everyone talking about this insulin is a completely new member of the forum, taking part only in this specific thread...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It's very interesting how everyone talking about this insulin is a completely new member of the forum, taking part only in this specific thread...

I thought the same and just couldn't be bothered to ask!! Totally strange how newbies to me have suddenly leapt forward.. But was going to see if there was anybody going to give figures/stats for being on for 2 years trialling..... I know better than to believe in miracle drugs.. I still remember the miracle drug thalidomide...

Reactions: 6 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having seen how badly COPD and asbestosis affects people there is no way I would have anything that could damage lungs. No way. No matter if it did ease injections etc.having been on insulin for 30 years and no complications why would I want to risk my breathing. How can any damage to lungs be minor even whether it is a minority of people or minor damage?
If you damage lungs then that is not good.

We all know from asbestosis etc that damage is not necessarily immediate. My uncle died the most awful, excruciating death from it 40 years after handling it.. Me personally I won't be joining the queues to get it.

Same here. My mother is dying very slowly from heart failure associated with COPD. I won't be inhaling anything for at least twenty years if I can help it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
OK everyone, can we all just be respectful to one-another and not make accusations or insults to members who have posted on this thread, even if it is their first post on the forum.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@AfrezzaUser, @bsharp669, as a long term triallist and a shorter term user, can you please share your experiences of your spirometry tests that I trust were undertaken according to the MannKind guidelines?

T.H. Brown

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Bsharp6669

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@AfrezzaUser, @bsharp669, as a long term triallist and a shorter term user, can you please share your experiences of your spirometry tests that I trust were undertaken according to the MannKind guidelines?

My Spirometry results were sent electronically directly to my Endo. I didn't see them, I was told they were good. I don't worry about inhaling it because it has been a highly tested drug, and because I probably inhale more dust everyday than Afrezza.

I can see a ton of conflict on this forum.... Sorry, I'm not interested in being bashed for using a drug that is working extraordinarily well for me.

Right now in my life I'm enjoying my success with it and helping others who are thinking of using it or just started using it.

If you want to see my results of Afrezza I post my reading almost daily on Twitter, Weekly on Diabetesdaily. Just look me up Brian Sharp or bsharp6669 I'm standing in front of a big yellow biplane.

Thanks

Im_typeone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just don't like the idea of a inhaled insulin, what are the long-term effects on the lungs and will it work as well as injections?

For those who have a needle phobia or are struggling with injections then it will be a welcome relief.

Im_typeone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm taking Afrezza andi
I started taking Afrezza about 17 days. I could not be happier, I feel so in control of my diabetes. I was one of the people that experienced a slight cough when I first started taking it, but that has subsided.
I take Lantus once a day, and I use afrezza when I eat . It acts as I had hoped insulin would've acted all along.
Since being on Afrezza my glucose levels have been steadier than they have been in the 16 years I have had diabetes. My "in target" blood ranges have increased 75%.. I find that I'm not hungry all the time and stopped snacking between meals. I have energy again and feel great.

I hope it gets to you all soon. It's been a game changer for me.

Im_typeone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even Alfred Mann says that it is necessary to carb count as a type 1. The insulin action is quite interesting:

76e468205614a7e279293a71f032e313.jpg

4bc7346e90b2b88d53ce887c85862475.jpg

As you'd expect it is rapidly absorbed and is flushed through relatively quickly, probably by virtue of it being a monomer rather than a hexamer. Having said that, my experiences with the current fast acting is that I don't see the result of them still being in my blood beyond 3.5 hours.

Whilst Sam may be a wonderful case study, there were 2000 people on the trials and I don't believe it was wonderful for all of them...

I'm afraid I'm very much a cynic when I see something like this having claims made about it from someone who appears to be promoting the product.

Having said that, I will always put myself forward to trial something like this. Who knows how real it is...?
I'm on it. I love it. I may appear to be promoting it... But only because I've not experienced anything like it before and I think it's a huge game changer for all diabetics. Can you reference a person on it who doesn't feel more in control of their diabetes

Im_typeone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes... I'm new to this forum. Someone told me about people in UK wanting to hear about Afrezza and that people had questions. I am on Afrezza, it is really helping me. I want to let all diabetics know about it. It's not a "miracle drug" or a cure. But it is a better insulin, that happens to be inhaled. It has helped me a lot-controlling my blood sugars, cutting back on eating, more energy... I have been following this since 2008 and couldn't wait for it to be available.. Now that I have it, it is even better than I hoped. I hope you all can get access to it soon !

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@AfrezzaUser , @Im_typeone, @Bsharp6669: As always with new treatments and also the known questionable practices that certain investors in MannKind have previously undetaken, there is what I'd describe as a healthy dose of scepticism within the diabetes community here. Some are very clearly impressed with the idea of Afrezza, some are intrigued by it and the change in the pharmakinetics and others are simply wary.

We don't really know you guys, and it's interesting to find you turning up on the forum to share your stories. It would be great if you could tell us how you found out about this thread and what your diabetic life looked like before you started to use it, what drove you onto the trial and then the change in treatment, whether the product seemed like a last throw of the dice, etc.

@AfrezzaUser, you've become the poster boy and evangelist for the product and understanding the reasons why that is would help a lot of the people on here.

I fall into the intrigued by the pharamkinetics and effects but wary of the delivery mechanism. I am well aware of the concerns relating to introducing a growth hormone into the lungs and the incidence of cancer that typically follows.

You guys must get that any new treatment that is introduced, seemingly without any negative experiences, is highly unusual and tends to set off an alarm for most that something isn't quite right. Hence the reactions that have been seen on here.

A discourse allowing us to understand what it was you were struggling with before where we can ask you questions would be most welcome on our part.

T.H. Brown

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@AfrezzaUser , @Im_typeone, @Bsharp6669: As always with new treatments and also the known questionable practices that certain investors in MannKind have previously undetaken, there is what I'd describe as a healthy dose of scepticism within the diabetes community here. Some are very clearly impressed with the idea of Afrezza, some are intrigued by it and the change in the pharmakinetics and others are simply wary.

We don't really know you guys, and it's interesting to find you turning up on the forum to share your stories. It would be great if you could tell us how you found out about this thread and what your diabetic life looked like before you started to use it, what drove you onto the trial and then the change in treatment, whether the product seemed like a last throw of the dice, etc.

@AfrezzaUser, you've become the poster boy and evangelist for the product and understanding the reasons why that is would help a lot of the people on here.

I fall into the intrigued by the pharamkinetics and effects but wary of the delivery mechanism. I am well aware of the concerns relating to introducing a growth hormone into the lungs and the incidence of cancer that typically follows.

You guys must get that any new treatment that is introduced, seemingly without any negative experiences, is highly unusual and tends to set off an alarm for most that something isn't quite right. Hence the reactions that have been seen on here.

A discourse allowing us to understand what it was you were struggling with before where we can ask you questions would be most welcome on our part.

Im_typeone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn't actually give any medical data though of any imorovements.. Just testimonies according to what I have read.
I don't want to give you any links-you would probably see it as me trying to lead or trick you, but it's fairly simple to look up the clinical trials and results. That's the beauty of the Internet. Another great place to look is the Advisory Committee (Adcomm) notes/videos for the Afrezza FDA recommendation.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I don't want to give you any links-you would probably see it as me trying to lead or trick you, but it's fairly simple to look up the clinical trials and results. That's the beauty of the Internet. Another great place to look is the Advisory Committee (Adcomm) notes/videos for the Afrezza FDA recommendation.

Ok...