DVLA Petition- Action for Diabetic Drivers

denbo

LGV driver Diabetic type 2 Hi just to let you all know that if you have not received your Licence back you are still aloud to Drive under the 1988 Road Traffic Act up to 12 months with out a Licence you can ask the DVLA to send you a letter to state that for the police or your boss as long you have not been refused a new one it took me nearly 3 months to get mine back it took from Nov 2014 to the end Jan 2015 all because my Doctor did not fill the medical form in correctly missed answering 3 questions I hope this helps I have also signed the petition good luck all
Yrs yr right my renewal is April I've ad my doc fill in the medical report and I've seen my consultant the DVLA av recieved the form
Off the gp but they sed it takes a few weeks to get to the right dept sounds bout right for them so they av sent me a form dmsaying it's ok to drive but sum firms won't except it as I tried last yr when waitin for my renewal it's a ling process and 12mths soon comes round to renewing will av to go and c DVLA independant consultant aswell to read my meter I'm thinking wether not bother Nxt time and just drive a van

Davyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yrs yr right my renewal is April I've ad my doc fill in the medical report and I've seen my consultant the DVLA av recieved the form
Off the gp but they sed it takes a few weeks to get to the right dept sounds bout right for them so they av sent me a form dmsaying it's ok to drive but sum firms won't except it as I tried last yr when waitin for my renewal it's a ling process and 12mths soon comes round to renewing will av to go and c DVLA independant consultant aswell to read my meter I'm thinking wether not bother Nxt time and just drive a van

You would still need a review for a 3 year Group 1 i.e. Cat A or B license (but less strict criteria)

If you are on insulin and you drive LGVs/PCVs Group 2 (Cat C, D) you can at best get a 1 year licence at present if cars/vans then a 1/2/3 year licence is possible, on first transition to insulin treatment you are advised NOT to drive until they have made a decision, on subsequent annual reviews Road Traffic Act section 88 appliies but only in the UK/NI (possibly Eire under their legislation)

you are almost certain to be OK from the independent consultant appointment , (he/she would tell you if you had failed the review) - at present there are 44 consultants on their list+ the medics on the Committee who can act as assessors of patients and the consultants - not a public list but the number can be found in the public minutes

but a single SEVERE hypo will cause revocation, for LGV/PCV

for the definition of SEVERE hypo you should see the minutes/documents produced by the "Secretary of State for Transport’s Honorary Medical Advisory Panel on driving and diabetes mellitus" at https://www.gov.uk/government/group...visory-panel-on-driving-and-diabetes-mellitus

Generally this is a hypo where you needed assistance from another person (typically paramedic assistance) NOT one you had assistance but could have treated it yourself -

The committee last met 17 Mar (Tuesday this week) minutes not yet available. Items 4,5,6 on the agenda are relevant to this thread. Next meeting is planned for 6 Oct
see https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...data/file/403354/Diabetes_agenda_17032015.pdf (1 A4 page)
4. Licence period.
5. Severe hypoglycaemia occurring while asleep in Group 1 drivers.
6. Severe hypoglycaemia in Group 1 drivers and period of time off driving

Any correspondence could probably addressed to the Chair Dr Gold or Dr Shaw - the Diabetes UK representative

if employers/insurance say no - mention Equality ACT 2010 (was once the Disability Discrimination Act)

For me In 2 of the last 3 transactions with DVLA they estimated 90 days and took 5 months
1) 2011 reinstating Cat C and D provisional status (I already have C1+E = 7.5T) took from February to August - Digicard took 2 weeks starting a week later
2) 2014 transition to insulin took from July to December - first 90 days meter dater was 2 May to 30 July - DVLA took from July to December

I feel we should be pushing for a public inquiry into the performance and staffing levels of DVLA

Reactions: 2 people

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I completely agree with you there DavyB a public enquiry should be completed as the way the DVLA have dealt we so many cases is shocking and of a very poor standard.

I have emailed diabetes UK and my MEP today asking about the minutes of the meeting on Tuesday. I'm pleased that they were discussed after a lot of pushing from parliament!

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Davyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I completely agree with you there DavyB a public enquiry should be completed as the way the DVLA have dealt we so many cases is shocking and of a very poor standard.

I have emailed diabetes UK and my MEP today asking about the minutes of the meeting on Tuesday. I'm pleased that they were discussed after a lot of pushing from parliament!

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Minutes from many meetings often take about a week to appear

anything sent to Diabetes UK should be CC'd to Dr ML Shaw she is the Diabetes UK, lay member on the committee

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Minutes from many meetings often take about a week to appear

anything sent to Diabetes UK should be CC'd to Dr ML Shaw she is the Diabetes UK, lay member on the committee
Already done DavyB but thank you.

Let's hope we get some answer but I'm
not overly expecting it will be good news.

denbo

When it was first passed for in 2012 it took me 10 mths get my hgv licence then 7 mths now we will c how ling on this one agen

denbo

Hi how glad I am that I have a French driving licence. I changed it several years ago just before I became a diabetic. My HGV is still upheld, and the way it works here is that it is a doctor who decides about your licence, not some faceless person who sits behind a desk. To say that 4 is the limit is also stupid. Each person is different and mine can go to 3.7 and I am still OK although I know and go and eat something. Certainly I know when I am in a situation whereby I should have something to eat like a banana or a pear.
Frankly, the DVLA need to go and see the document again as it also states that medical report needs to be looked at therefore the DVLA are just doing what they want to! Yet again. They have been incorrect and done it incorrectly so many times. May I suggest that you see if SOLVIT can show some light on the interpretation of the document.
ADVERT:- temporary rooms available to facilitate the obtaining of French licence. Rent book is the only prerequisite, No renewal regularly and less than half the price, prbably will pay for the rent of the room. (Seriously though do look at a short rent to get a French licence, its valid in the UK, just go and stay in France every 3 years for a month or so!)
Yr so right rinfrance it should b up to your doctor and consultant to say if your fit enough to drive a hgv tney are the ones treatin you and have your records not sum muppets who sit behind a desk and say wether u can or can't drive tney don't know you this country is gettin worse and laws want changin especially DVLA takin ages to process things

hubz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had a big battle with the dvla. I am a truck driver and never had a any hypo,hyper, and my hbc is 7.9. and they proved very reluctant to hand my my HGV back to me after my medical even though my gp and an independent doctor said I was fine. The dvla hid behind the excuse saying it was an EU ruling. They gave me a 3yr licence as opposed to a 5 yr, which causes questions by future employers. I will sign your petition. Good luck to you

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

That's a nice story to read Helen.....I am really against the DVLA revoking anyone's licence due to nightime hypos and if nothing else I hope that UKIP gain popularity. Look after yourself

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well done Minnie...