Meter change - which of these?

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Yesterday I received a letter from my surgery telling me that they will now only prescribe strips for the GlucoRx. Rx mini or Wavesense Jazz. I understand the reasoning and don't have too much of a quibble over this, so, am not trying to start another thread along the 'how dare they' lines.

I've been very happy with my Aviva expert since diagnosis. I also use the Freestyle libre which has reduced blood testing to rapid changes or testing for driving. However, as the Libre is self funded, I have to take into account that I may have to stop using it in the future due to cost or skin irritation.

So it's a simple query. Can you pass on your experience of the three meters listed above, such that I can make a choice & pick one up from the surgery?

Many thanks in advance.

Peter

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see from your profile that you are a Type 1, and as such shouldn't need to change your meter of you don't wish to.

I too understand the reasoning behind the changes, but in my own experience found the NHS chosen meters to be too inaccurate for my own insulin calculations. I suppose it's a case of suck it and see, if you want to, but be aware that as a Type 1 it's not mandatory.

Other people may have had better experiences with them, but they really are very basic meters. If you use the bolus wizard on the Aviva Expert, these are not on any of the meters above.

Good luck whatever you choose!

Signy

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Heathenlass.

I have a couple of boxes of Aviva strips left, so shall run comparisons and if they aren't as good as the Aviva, I'll see my doctor & point it out. I can also point out that I'm interested enough in keeping good numbers to the tune of self funding £100 a month. He worked with the diabetic team as a student, is pretty clued up and was proactive in getting my prescriptions sorted so that I didn't have to request every other week. I suspect this to be a 'practice' descision from a business viewpoint.

I'm still honeymooning so the bolus wizard hasn't been a lot of help yet so that isn't a factor.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good plan ! :D That is what I did when I trialled the practise meters, and it was evident that the new one was way out of range, and unsuitable for me. I found that my practice was open to intelligent discussion on the meters and having my comparisons and data on my BG's using each was enough to make the decision to stay with my Contour . I did have the Big Guns of my diabetes team on standby though, in case of resistance :D

It is a practice decision from a cost saving viewpoint, but the same letter is sent out to all current recipients of a prescription for test strips, with no mention that recommendations exist for Type 1's and LADA. For some people the meters seem to be acceptable, but for others they are not, hence the safety net of the NICE recommendations. Any changes should not be to the detriment of the patients good control.

Signy

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The Jazz was one of my first meters it was actually very good

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2 and using the GlucoRx Nexus.

It does the job and seems to have served me well for a couple of years now.
I like that you can download free software for it and produce reports and graphs from the meter.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I took the Nexus RX in the end. Readings on a par with the Aviva, but Aviva display is better, especially for accessing history as it's laid out better.

As an aside, I checked that the strips had been added to my prescriptions, which they had. Shame that they changed the quantity from 250 to 100 strips. Can't make up my mind whether they are trying it on to save money, or someone has just set everyone at 100 strips. I can't make up my mind whether or not to drop a note into the surgery asking my doctor to put in back to original or just request more prescriptions and see if they notice...

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Wavesense Jazz has an annoying beep when you add blood. It can't be turned off. Not good when you are trying to discretely test your levels at work.