Finding low carb really hard

Julia

Hi,
I was wondering if anymone could help me. I have been trying to do low carb properly each Monday for the past year, but by Wednesday I am craving sugar and rubbish! I know that this is really bad for me but I feel that i have got stuck in this rut of doing it and can't control myself. I find it hard to make normal meals for my family then think of something else to feed myself. I run 5k three times week and breastfeed my two year old - is this making me too hungry and searching for quick energy do you think? I have even. tried hypnotism to try and put me off the carbs I am all out of ideas what to do. I hope someone can help. I am on a pump and my last hba1c was 6.0.

Julia

chocoholic

I wrote a little poem about how hard I found low-carbing at the beginning. It's on here somewhere, so might give you a chuckle if I can find it for you.In the end I settled for reduced carbing.My advice, don't try and do it all at once.Take it step by step until you reach a level that you are happy with, likely to stick with but most importantly keeps your readings pretty even. Your last hba1c sounds pretty good to me, so you must be doing something right.

chocoholic

Okay. Here it is. I wrote this at a time when I was really struggling but I promise is does get easier.
Remember, small steps.

I'm really trying to stay "low-carb"
But finding it so hard.
My mood keeps changing daily,
As I crave all foodstuffs barred.

I've tried to think of other things
But running through my head
Are thoughts of spuds and pasta
And chunks of crusty bread.

I just can't get excited
Over salad,veg and meats
I've really tried but failed
To enjoy those low-carb "eats".

I don't smoke or drink alcohol.
I eat a balanced diet.
And when I heard of low-carb
I really had to try it.

I started off so very well
And full of good intention
But now I'm simply going ape
At every "low-carb" mention.

My readings have gone mad again
I cannot fathom why.
I'm feeling so confused
And I've even had a cry.

You lot are so supportive
And I know this sounds pathetic
But please tell me I am normal....
For hating being DIABETIC!

Julia

I like the poem - good to keep a sense of humour. Dont know where I'd be without mine!
Thanks for cheering me up x

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Chocoholic, i enjoyed reading that, so much of it , is how i feel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I started reduced carbs on a holiday in Scotland. We were in an hotel and I had no kitchen/fridge available. I ordered reduced carb meals( asking for salad instead of chips with my fish for example) and didn't eat between them. By the time we got home, I'd got used to it.

maisiesgranny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness!
i am trying to do lower carbs as my weight loss has stopped! i had my misery weeks a couple of weeks ago. was fine till then. i kept thinking of milk chocolate but i'm over it now.your stories are all helpful. maisiesgranny

Aoife

How low are you going with the carbs? Only if you are cutting them out totally like Atkins, thats going to be very difficult if you are like me! I'm simply reducing them first- I've halved my intake- and already I feel better for it, and in a while will possibly reduce again- its not hard at all that way. Although I can never see myself being 100% carbohydrate free, because my body seems to like them in reasonably small doses, and also I want the freedom of being able to have a banana or a couple of baby potatoes with my dinner, for example.

Doczoc

Personally I had to go for a complete withdrawal. I had 'dabbled' with low carbs over the years when trying to lose weight but always gave in to the carb cravings. Since diagnosis I felt I had little choice, it was hard for a few weeks but I got through it and now I can have starchy carbs now and then without falling completely back into bad habits!

If you are the sort of person that gives in (like I was) set yourself a target of six weeks, (it really is nothing out of a lifetime) and be very strict, follow 30g a day! After 6 weeks that carb addiction will be beaten and you'll feel completely liberated, I promise! After that you'll find that you are completely satisfied with carbs in salad and veg and you won't crave starchy carbs at all! Youll be energised, sleeping better than you have in years, have lost weight and your numbers will be vastly improved. Just give yourself 6 weeks of total commitment!

Good luck!