If someone else suggests it's all my fault...

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I fear even T1s are now going to be blamed for our condition. Recent news items about the expected explosion in T1 diagnoses suggested it could not be explained by genetics and they used the phrase "lifestyle factors". By which they meant bottle feeding and caesarean births. That dreaded phrase wasn't in the DUK press release, it seems to have been added by the media - thus paving the way for blaming us.

Its the babies for whom they suggest caesarean birth and bottle feeding are factors in getting T1 later, not the mothers. Even assuming it was choice rather than medical need, how many babies have a say in how they're born and whether they get breast fed??? These things can't honestly be described as a lifestyle choice.

Once again it comes down to poor choice of ancestors. But how many people who know nothing about diabetes will think that through? How many will just hear that its caused by unhealthy lifestyle?

Trinkwasser

Yes I read a while back that while Type 1 was still rarer the *rate of increase* was actually faster than Type 2, in some areas. Also a lot of the increase appears to be non-autoimmune types.

Several theories but nothing consistent yet.

Looking for reasons to apportion blame rather than better (more expensive) treatments seems to be par for the course, and not just in the medical world.

susan1968

Lesleyr284, there are always horrible people around who think they know it all. It´s the ignorants who say those stupid things; they should try to keep their mouths shut. I´d like to see what that kid eats at home. In my family there aren´t any diabetics, I´ve always eaten very healthy food and my weight for the last 20 years (i´m 41) has been ranging 48-51 k. Sorry, I live in Spain so I´m not very good with the English equivalences. Try to ignore those comments, I know it´s difficult so try to :lol: instead of getting :evil:

Rivki

mullaneder said:
i totally agree with you if another person says that i have diabetes because i drank coke :evil: never mind the fact that five other family members are diabetic too on the other hand a lot of people have been very supportive too and you are amongst friends here :D,

So that's why I got diabetes, because I drank coke and there was me thinking I was just plain unlucky!
I wish people who know nothing about this subject would keep their lack of knowledge to themselves and you are right there are some very supportive people around too.

tenko2004c1

Dislikes
Rude bastards
I went for my annual check up last week and the very stroppy nurse told me I am obese after she measured my waist line, (I was 1cm into the red) what she failed to realise was I had lost 5 stone and didn't read any of my last notes to compare readings. She made me feel like I was a small child who had done something wrong. I basically stood up halfway through the tests, told her what I think of her and her attitude and walked out. My fasting bloods were 6.7, BP 125/80. I had never seen her before so I think continuity in patient care is vital or somebody is going to get hurt if the wrong person is spoken to that way.

inwales

tenko2004c1 said:
I went for my annual check up last week and the very stroppy nurse told me I am obese after she measured my waist line, (I was 1cm into the red) what she failed to realise was I had lost 5 stone and didn't read any of my last notes to compare readings. She made me feel like I was a small child who had done something wrong. I basically stood up halfway through the tests, told her what I think of her and her attitude and walked out. My fasting bloods were 6.7, BP 125/80. I had never seen her before so I think continuity in patient care is vital or somebody is going to get hurt if the wrong person is spoken to that way.

I do hope you made a complaint afterwards?

Kittykat

I am a vegetarian how cycles/walks/ and i am about a stone over weight but i do find it hard to lose it on my tummy.
My doctor said that some people just get it or it is past on.I am fed up with every report saying that it is your own fault.

moggy

i have a sister 19st eats any thing and has no diabetes and i returning from a holiday with a virus witch triggered of my diabetes some 12yrs ago and then it went down hill from there on heatlh wise. :|

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
People who get too little sleep, or too much, are far more likely to develop diabetes, say scientists.

Read more: Daily Mail article
I blame Goldilocks - Obviously if you do not develop diabetes, your amount of sleep is "just right."

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
IanD said:
People who get too little sleep, or too much, are far more likely to develop diabetes, say scientists.

Read more: Daily Mail article
I blame Goldilocks - Obviously if you do not develop diabetes, your amount of sleep is "just right."

Could be the 'right' kind of porridge as well Ian! :lol: :lol:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
sugarless sue said:
IanD said:

Could be the 'right' kind of porridge as well Ian! :lol: :lol:
Now MY "porridge" is made from ground almonds, soya protein, wheat germ, oat bran, milled seeds & soya milk. Less than 20 g carbs. What? No oats!

Dalekkiller

Dislikes
Slow drivers, blood tests, having to go to hospital
That's why I prefer to be secretive about my various "conditions" :lol: A few years ago, I had to see the GP I'm registered with for a health check before getting life insurance. He decided to tell me that if I took better care of myself, I wouldn't need to be on so many medications! Luckily, there are several doctors in that practice and I now refuse to see him. As for the media, if I believed everything that they write there would be no hope for me and I would falling into an early grave with a large collection of diseases because of pre-existing conditions, marital status and current lifestyle :shock:

Dr H

Dislikes
- People without manners
- Being interrogated about non-low-carbing
I find it amusing when I mention that I'm diabetic to people. Because I've always been athletic. My BMI has been obese from the age of 15, but my body fat percentage has always been healthy, although around the age of 18 it did nip into overweight for a few months.

But it's strange that people are genuinely surprised by me being diabetic. And I think that goes for a lot of people. I doubt that most diabetics are morbidly obese and haven't been out of their house in years.

But I used to feel a sense of injustice, when I saw seriously overweight people who didn't have a health problem because I have a chronic disease which will most likely send me to an early grave and I didn't let myself go like that.

But it's a shame that obesity is on the exponential increase, because diabetes will be too soon.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
I'm type 1, and quite small, (5' tall and weight110lbs).
I am sick of hearing the following...

"But you're not fat, how do you get a fat disease?"
"Auto-immune, what, so you've like got AIDS?"

The pendulum swings the opposite way too, a friend of mine, who eats nothing but chips and take outs swears blindly that her 25st frame is 'genetic' and the three litres of normal coke she has every day has aboslutely nothing to do with it.

Bottom line: I hate stupid people.....

yipster29

yep I get the same

Diagnosed type 1 four months ago, not overweight, only person in my office who exercises regularly, never have eaten fried food / had sugar in drinks etc etc yet I've had constant comments of oh well if you change your diet your Pancreas will mend and you'll be off insulin.. :evil:

I've taken to being uncharacteristically nasty and now introduce myself as 'diabetic, caused the hospital suspect by a virus attacking my Pancreas, there is no cure, you really should appreciate your health as it could be you next!' :twisted: not nice but makes me feel better!!

deadwood2

I know this might be a bit cynical, but isn't part of the purpose of making the patient feel guilty and demoralising them at least party about minimising resistance to the HCP's dubious advice and inability or unwillingness to provide adequate treatment? See rants passim!

Rushy

999sugarbabe said:
I hear they are going to tattoo all newborn babies shortly... "Living can damage your health!" :lol:

It's worse than that! .. Being born is FATAL!
:wink:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
For the best part of 40 years, I tried my hardest to teach Science and integral to that was critical thinking.
Science wasn't and isn't popular in schools. It's seen in many as just "a play with Bunsen Burners".
It was the effort of thinking that was being rejected.I think they unteach it in medical schools :twisted: Those "non-thinkers" are now adults. they haven't changed.
I had a stroke in 2003 and was asked fairly recently"Have you stopped smoking?" I was never a smoker. My stroke was not tobacco related.
Idon't usually bother to explain.however, even my vet brother did imply that i developed T2, because I chose not to go running. Him I could have slaughtered.
Hana