Skin condition on legs? Any help

gemmah772

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm hoping someone can help?
I've had these large red patches on my legs for years and the doctors keep saying it's either necrobiosis Lipoidica Diabeticorum or diabetic dermopathy. They can't tell me any information and can't tell me how to try to get rid of it?

I haven't worn shorts for two years as its so embarrassing only being 21 years old.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to lighten the redness or even get rid? Or even who would be good to speak to about other treatments as my GP is not helpful.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    719.2 KB · Views: 5,428

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry you've got this condition :(
I had never heard of it, but just doing a search with professor Google and as far as necrobiosis Lipoidica Diabeticorum goes, it sounds as though nobody actually knows quite how it comes about or how best to manage it.
http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/necrobiosis-lipoidica-pro

I found this link: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1103467-treatment
It suggests therapies to help - the non-invasive methods using topically applied Bovine Collagen or topical psoralen combined with UV could be something to research and consider speaking to your HCP about?
You would probably have an idea yourself if it was diabetic dermopathy, because it goes hand in hand with erratic blood glucose control. It's a more common condition for older (so 50yrs plus) people though - seems a bit doubtful that you've got it.

I am guessing that maintaining stable BGs within the normal range will help your body heal, so stay positive and good luck with getting things cleared up ready for summer. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Have you had a referral to a dermatologist?

If you've only been seeing your gp for this skin condition then do ask fro a referral over to the dermatology clinic.

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello. I had something similar and the doc gave me a double base gel and like an antiseptic cream and it has now gone. Occasionally i get a itch touch wood it's ok now

gemmah772

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

If you've only been seeing your gp for this skin condition then do ask fro a referral over to the dermatology clinic.
I haven't been referred, would they be able to help as I've never heard of a dermatology clinic so don't know what they can do :S

gemmah772

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello. I had something similar and the doc gave me a double base gel and like an antiseptic cream and it has now gone. Occasionally i get a itch touch wood it's ok now

Do you know what the creams where called so I can try to get some please?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I agree with this, a GP is no expert on skin conditioins, there are so many. A dermatologist really is the best person to see and can rescribe the proper treatment, trying to self-treat when you don't know what it is probably wouldn't help much and could even make it worse.
Do you ever get it anywhere else?

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't been referred, would they be able to help as I've never heard of a dermatology clinic so don't know what they can do :S

Dermatologists are the experts on skin conditions and diseases ;)

gemmah772

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with this, a GP is no expert on skin conditioins, there are so many. A dermatologist really is the best person to see and can rescribe the proper treatment, trying to self-treat when you don't know what it is probably wouldn't help much and could even make it worse.
Do you ever get it anywhere else?
No just on my legs, been there for two years and still no one knows anything, thanks though will look at seeing one :)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No just on my legs, been there for two years and still no one knows anything, thanks though will look at seeing one :)

You'll need a referral from your GP, they shouldn't refuse especially after not doing anything to help for two years!
It might be something not connected to diabetes, it could be eczema or psoriasis for instance, just because you're diabetic doesn't mean there can't be anything else going on ;)

wb19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After I had had type 1 diabetes for about 10 years I developed a red patch on my instep. I went to the doctor who thought it was a ganglion and suggested that I hit it! I eventually saw a dermatologist who told me that it was necrobiosis lipoidica diabeticorum and I was prescribed steroid creams which did not help at all and made it worse. I eventually needed surgery to remove a growth. Six months after Surgery another Mark appeared on my calf. I left this alone, stopped seeing doctors and it eventually faded. I feel that the best thing to do is leave well alone and eventually it will fade.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After I had had type 1 diabetes for about 10 years I developed a red patch on my instep. I went to the doctor who thought it was a ganglion and suggested that I hit it! I eventually saw a dermatologist who told me that it was necrobiosis lipoidica diabeticorum and I was prescribed steroid creams which did not help at all and made it worse. I eventually needed surgery to remove a growth. Six months after Surgery another Mark appeared on my calf. I left this alone, stopped seeing doctors and it eventually faded. I feel that the best thing to do is leave well alone and eventually it will fade.

And if it doesn't just fade away she has to put up with a few more years of it? Are you medically trained to be able to give a diagnosis like that?
It's obviously a worry so nothing at all wrong with getting some help and hopefully getting it clear by tth esummer so she can wear what she likes again.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

As Rowan says they deal in skin conditions, as your gp has no idea how to treat the problem it would be best that you were referred over to see a dermatologist, there you should receive the correct diagnosis and treatment plan. Good luck.

WWilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had this about 20 years ago. Saw a dermatologist whos only solution was make up to cover the red patches. Thankfully it disappeared with time so I would not worry about it.

Reactions: 2 people

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This may sound like an odd question but are you taking the contraceptive pill? I had something similar when I was on it. This went once I stopped taking it.

gemmah772

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This may sound like an odd question but are you taking the contraceptive pill? I had something similar when I was on it. This went once I stopped taking it.

Yes I'm taking it, did you try any other ones or just stop all together?

I've got make up but its to difficult to match and takes to long

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not yet, have to wait to see them first as my doctors recently left so the new one want to see first

Good luck with it. I know how miserable I felt when i had erythrodermic psoriasis over my legs, lived in trousers or maxi skirts even in summer.