Can I have a rant and moan???

andyrobo

Can I have a rant and moan - not really in any position to complain about my lot as I am a newly diagnosed T2 diabetic - going to see Diabetic Nurse next Wednesday, but know quite a lot about it all as I had diabetes in pregnancy, including insulin.

My main moan is myinability to stop myself eating sugary junk food - it seems to have got worse since got results of GTT - no logical reason to it all, I eat all the right things for a day or so, and then have a bar of chocs or a cake. I have just got new strips for my monitor - and I have changed my breakfasts to more protein based foods, and can see the results in lower blood sugar levels. Then I will have a healthy lunch, and mid afternoon will surcumb to the junk. I have fruit on my desk to snack on, but it sits there getting rotten until I chuck it away.

I am a 38 year old woman who should know better, rebelling at my age is not a good thing!!!! Is it 'normal' to do this, but how do I get myself in check - i read all the info on here and the potential health problems I could be storing up for the future, but it doesnt stop me! I have told my colleagues about my diabetes - and it is only just within the range to be considered diabetic, but that shouldnt make any difference.

I know full well that when I go and see this nurse next week, I will sit there and nod in the right places, and blah blah blah, but how can I get myself back on the straight and narrow? I know loc carb is the way to go, but it is completely against what I have previously eaten - like jacket potato, beans and salad on the side.

Well that is enough of that - not sure what I wanted to say, hope it makes sense - hope I am not the only one who has been like this!

Andrea

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Andrea and Welcome.

You RANNT away, this is the best place for it :) i think a lot of people here have or are going through the same things.

Im new here myself but i know what you mean. I am a 42 year old man and was diagnosed as a type 2 about 4 or 5 weeks ago. My levels are not that bad 8ish fasting and the rest of the day i can maintain about 6ish if i eat mainly low carb stuff. I was diagnosed by sheer chance after we had a well being check for staff where i work, Glucose in urine was the first thing i knew of it. Did have symptoms but just shrugged them off as being due to me being overweight.

Anyway im trying diet/exercise control for the next 3 months to see how i get on. If i can stick to the diet it should be ok. NOW thats the problem, i keep thinking I CANT BE diabetic i feel fine and that THEY are wrong so i go and have a coke and a Burger, then i feel guilty because im not only lettimg my wife and 8 year old dauhter down but also myself.

My first HBA1c was only 6.4 which i beleive is normal......i dont know how my first HBA could be so low if im a newly diagnosed diabetic considering the **** i ate and drank prior to the test, which makes me think that my diagnosis is wrong.

Anyway i hope someone here can help you, i can sympathise but still looking for help myself.

Best regards
Brian

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Andrea

Rant away, we all need to sometimes and this is the place to rant about diabetes.
As to your food issues, my thoughts are it's partly the fact you 'mustn't' eat junk that makes you want it. Remember you don't need to be a saint all the time. Better to plan a few 'naughty' things into your meal plan (counting them into your carb allowance or maybe eating them before exercise). That'll keep you feeling like you've had a treat and you're less likely to binge on things *because* they're forbidden. Avoids guilt as well - remember stress raises your BG too!

You say you're only just in the diabetic range, which suggests you're still making some insulin. I'm a type 1 so I may be wrong here, but if you need sweet things mid-pm I wonder if you're getting a boost of insulin which then brings your sugar down quickly, not making you truly hypo but feeling the drop and getting hypo-like hunger symptoms. You don't mention being on any treatment ATM, if you are or have reduced your carbs maybe you're feeling the effect of lower BG overall and until your body adjusts, its giving you hypo signals.

I've had bad attacks of the 'hypo munchies' so I know how hard it is to stop yourself overeating. Try not to beat yourself up over it. Perhaps mention it to your diabetes nurse, I doubt you're the first one to feel like this. Hopefully it'll settle as you get your regime sorted out.

Good luck
Sue

Dislikes
When it's not Giro day, Tom.
Castrol GTX as recommended by 'carefix'.
hello Andrea,
You're never too old to rebel -
I'm still going to be trying to bring down the government when I'm 95 :mrgreen:

good luck.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
mrcadburysparrot said:
hello Andrea,
You're never too old to rebel -
I'm still going to be trying to bring down the government when I'm 95 :mrgreen:

good luck.

Andrea,
the occasional treat is not going to kill you as long as you stick to the diet most of the time. And as long as you don't deceive yourself. I consider whole grain cereal bars acceptable as they are relatively low GI. Especially after exercise. Enjoy, but don't indulge.

Hello Cad,
I've bad news for you :(

However successful you are at bringing the government down, you'll only get another one :twisted:

Dislikes
When it's not Giro day, Tom.
Castrol GTX as recommended by 'carefix'.
I could never take political advice from a man who considers
"whole grain cereal bars" IN ANY WAY acceptable :mrgreen:

andyrobo

thanks for all your replies - its heartening to know that everyone is or has been in the same boat! i am off to see the diabetic nurse on Wed so will wait with baited breath to see what she has to say - not expecting any new info that I dont already know, but you never know! I am supposed to be seeing the dietician on Thurs, but will probably cancel that as from what I read here that will be a waste of time!! My work are a bit funny about appointments and haveing two in two days is a bit too much!

I am managing to keep a lid on my eating, and trying to reduce my carb intake - my logic at the moment is to take it a meal at a time - this week I am trying to get my morning levels down by having a protein snack before bedtime, which seems to be working ok. Next week I will look at my tea and try to lower carbs at that meal. i will search around the food part of this forum and get some good ideas

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
andyrobo said:
thanks for all your replies - Next week I will look at my tea ......
Sheer delight :wink: contemplation, anticipation, and innocent refreshment
icon_coffee26at.gif

andyrobo

Just a quick update - been to see the diabetic nurse - a lovely lady, but didnt tell me much I didnt know - apparently I need to get some more exercise and lose some weight - WOW that is NEWS to me!!! My HbA1c was 5.8 which she said is a great figure and in the range we need to keep it at - so I am doing something right, and managing my diabetes well, but I still need to lose weight and do more exercise!

Supposted to be seeing dietician tomorrow, but cancelled that, as I have seen her before and she was not much use! I know what I should be and not be doing, so I will just forget about that and wait to see if she notices I havent been when I go back to see the Diabetic Nurse in August!!!