Newcastle Diet results so far

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@flashtash I think even non diabetics would have all this going on but just that they don't notice and we do coz we keep a track.
You are absolutely right brettsza I'm just being a bit too sensitive

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'm just panicking a bit but have done a bit of reading about the dawn phenomenon so aswell as my morning runs I may incorporate an evening walk after my meal

Doing exercise like several mile runs has to be good for your fitness but I think it requires discipline as there is a danger that it stimulates your appetite. Prof Taylor used the example of some overweight people who trained for a local long distance run event and while they all did well in the run after their training none of them lost any weight. This is why I prefer the walking and HIT exercise route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, really don't like that quote. It supports the fat, greedy , lazy stereotype.

Everyone in my family who has had T2 has been of average weight, or slim, and very active, apart from me, who was very active, and overweight on diagnosis.

Pipp if everyone exercised and watched their diet then only the real genetic diabetics would be left....I am sure you cannot argue that a very large portion of the type2 diabetics are diabetic from too much food and too little exercise....myself included....

Now as far as lazy, feeble, greedy and fat is concerned....I dont think we can label people if our society expects us to eat carbs drink coke, sit in a chair behind a desk and drive cars (to keep the economy going)....:)

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pipp if everyone exercised and watched their diet then only the real genetic diabetics would be left....I am sure you cannot argue that a very large portion of the type2 diabetics are diabetic from too much food and too little exercise....myself included....

Now as far as lazy, feeble, greedy and fat is concerned....I dont think we can label people if our society expects us to eat carbs drink coke, sit in a chair behind a desk and drive cars (to keep the economy going)....:)

For me, I only did sport at school because I was forced to and I eventually chose the least physically strenuous options. I enjoy food and large portions - I was brought up to clear my plate. I was always aware about healthy food options and of course chose the low fat direction and as a consequence also consumed a lot of 'healthy' foods like whole-grain bread and cereals, pasta, root veg. and rice (although not brown rice, but not because I didn't like it). I also avoided artificial sweeteners because, frankly, I was scared of them (and still am). Before I got married I did do more physical activity, some of it to maintain shape in order to attract the right kind of girl! :D But I did become a lot less active after getting married. And I put weight on. I am close to 75kg now, pretty much what I was in my late teens and early 20s and was close to 100kg at my heaviest although I wore it well and never really had what you would call a huge belly or the like. Most people see the difference in my face, which is partially down to age too. My mother and her relatives had diabetes in middle age and many of them still do, so I am sure there is a genetic component but is it because of the natural tendency not to want to be active and to have a large appetite or is it because I have genetically less 'durable' insulin system? That's very difficult to answer. I have highlighted the fact that there could be a genetic predisposition to diabetes for my daughters and hopefully this has registered with them but I am less worried as they are both very sporty and active, but I will be keeping an eye on them for as long as I can. Interestingly some of my cousins are actively seeking to maintain a more healthy weight and activity based on the poor examples set by their parents and I wish I had done what I am now doing a lot longer ago.

Merrylizard1314

Nine days into ND, and so far, there has been very little change in BGL. In fact this evening, just now, before bed, I have a reading of 10.3, which I find alarming. My morning levels are not often lower than 6s. I was wondering whether exercise earlier in the day had a role in these rather high numbers. I am getting so fed-up, I really was expecting to see better results, but then, I suppose it is still early days....

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nine days into ND, and so far, there has been very little change in BGL. In fact this evening, just now, before bed, I have a reading of 10.3, which I find alarming. My morning levels are not often lower than 6s. I was wondering whether exercise earlier in the day had a role in these rather high numbers. I am getting so fed-up, I really was expecting to see better results, but then, I suppose it is still early days....

Patience is the key :) Can you give us some indication of your BMI and rate of weight loss? What are you choosing to eat?

Merrylizard1314

@vit90, my BMI is 24.2. I am not too concerned about weight loss, it is the normalisation of metabolic numbers I am interested in. I would really like to come out of the ND at the end of the 8 weeks with the very good results others have achieved. I am using the Optifast as outlined in Prof. Taylor's team's article. My vegetable garden provides the salad and herbs component, I drink plenty of water and sometimes I will have a cup of cocoa made with water, no sugar or milk, or a cup of orange and cinnamon tea. I exercise regularly, as I have done for at least 10 months, both land and water-based. However, I do seem to be getting bizarre readings. My next HbA1c is in April, and I was rather longing to show an enormous improvement over last year ( 41 )

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Not sure what makes you so sure I cannot argue with that.
I choose not to argue, because it would derail the thread. I reiterate that your previous quote supports the popular opinion that T2 is self inflicted.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@vit90, my BMI is 24.2. I am not too concerned about weight loss, it is the normalisation of metabolic numbers I am interested in. I would really like to come out of the ND at the end of the 8 weeks with the very good results others have achieved. I am using the Optifast as outlined in Prof. Taylor's team's article. My vegetable garden provides the salad and herbs component, I drink plenty of water and sometimes I will have a cup of cocoa made with water, no sugar or milk, or a cup of orange and cinnamon tea. I exercise regularly, as I have done for at least 10 months, both land and water-based. However, I do seem to be getting bizarre readings. My next HbA1c is in April, and I was rather longing to show an enormous improvement over last year ( 41 )

Weight loss is key to the diet as the aim is reduce visceral fat surrounding and even inside the liver and pancreas in order to normalise their insulin/glucose control operation.

Merrylizard1314

@vit9, thanks for responding. Since beginning ND, 10 days ago, I have lost 1.3 kilos.. Somehow I expected a corresponding drop in BGLs, but ,if anything, the post prandial 2hour readings are still hovering around 6.5/ 6.7. I have read in some posts that others' readings have been lower within the first week.
Well, I've begun now, so there is nothing for it, but to go on and see what happens, keep drinking the water to stop the tummy rumbles, and staying active as much as possible.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@vit9, thanks for responding. Since beginning ND, 10 days ago, I have lost 1.3 kilos.. Somehow I expected a corresponding drop in BGLs, but ,if anything, the post prandial 2hour readings are still hovering around 6.5/ 6.7. I have read in some posts that others' readings have been lower within the first week.
Well, I've begun now, so there is nothing for it, but to go on and see what happens, keep drinking the water to stop the tummy rumbles, and staying active as much as possible.

Be patient, my readings took longer to fall but they will get there. The first couple of weeks the body has to make lots of adjustments so after that you will see things settle down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Merrylizard "Since beginning ND, 10 days ago, I have lost 1.3 kilos.. Somehow I expected a corresponding drop in BGLs, but ,if anything, the post prandial 2hour readings are still hovering around 6.5/ 6.7. I have read in some posts that others' readings have been lower within the first week."

The normal range for any blood parameter is set at the 95% level; i.e. 95% of people will fall within that range with 5% of normals being out of that range by a small amount. You are within the range which is good and that may be your normal non diabetic level. Most of us won't know where we were as we have only been having our glucoses done since we have been diagnosed as diabetic. I never get my fasting in the 4s. It will be interesting to see what happens to my levels if my liver scan is OK and I start the ND when I get the results as I am already underweight so if I have fatty liver and pancreas it shouldn't take long to shift the fat as have almost no body fat to lose.

Merrylizard1314

Merrylizard "Since beginning ND, 10 days ago, I have lost 1.3 kilos.. Somehow I expected a corresponding drop in BGLs, but ,if anything, the post prandial 2hour readings are still hovering around 6.5/ 6.7. I have read in some posts that others' readings have been lower within the first week."

The normal range for any blood parameter is set at the 95% level; i.e. 95% of people will fall within that range with 5% of normals being out of that range by a small amount. You are within the range which is good and that may be your normal non diabetic level. Most of us won't know where we were as we have only been having our glucoses done since we have been diagnosed as diabetic. I never get my fasting in the 4s. It will be interesting to see what happens to my levels if my liver scan is OK and I start the ND when I get the results as I am already underweight so if I have fatty liver and pancreas it shouldn't take long to shift the fat as have almost no body fat to lose.

Merrylizard1314

Sorry, I have not got the hang of quoting yet. When is your liver scan? I am having an HbA1c in early April, and I will use that as a reference point. This afternoon, after a good long walk ( 12km ) and before eating a salad, my BGL was 8.3., but 2 hours later, it was 6.8. I suppose that could be called " high normal"
@vit90, I will be patient, and keep the Big Picture in mind. Really my main goal is to prevent any complications of T2D, and perhaps manage to improve or banish altogether a problem with hypertension.

Reama

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Arab Horse, I'm in a similar position. I'm small (about 5 ft tall, 92 #, and have had diabetes for about 12 years. Initially, the pills didn't control it very well, so was on insulin, but required such high doses that my doc said I was obviously insulin resistant. I made a major diet shift (vegan) and was able to (barely) keep my bs acceptable without insulin.

I'm considering the Newcastle diet, too, but haven't started. About 6 years ago I had an abdominal CT that incidentally was read as showing fatty liver (at the time, I'd reverted back to standard American diet, full of fat and sugar), but my doc said it must have been misinterpreted because there was no way I could have a fatty liver at my low weight. I'm concerned I may lose too much weight on this diet, but on the other hand, maybe some further weight loss is what I need (I weighed 80 pound in high school, and was active and healthy).

Reama

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reama, I am the lowest weight I have been in my adult life. I always stayed just over 8 and a half stone but since cutting carbs I lost just over 1 ans a half stone but if I eat carbs my glucose goes far too high.

Merrylizard, my scan is on Monday and then a 2 week wait for the result. Once that comes back with nothing nasty I intend to start the ND. I have always felt the cold but more so since I lost the weight so it will be about the right time for me to start my diet as the the weather should be getting warmer. If you are interested I will keep you informed of my progress, good and bad, so you can see if it is worth doing. I am not sure it is so good for skinny T2s but I want to give it a try so that I can start eating a few more things. I am really bored with the few things I can eat, just the occasional slice of bread, small potato, a bit more fruit would be great. I do eat some fruit but my glucose is always up afterwards apart from my grapefruit before breakfast.

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
For all those how are on the ND diet or thinking of doing it please bare in mind that it's an 8 week process and everybody is different so different people will get different results but it's the end result that we are all interested in. There will be times when you want to give in God I had a lot of those but it was the possibility of the end result that kept me going not only in terms of loosing weight or looking and feeling good but the best possible chance or reversing T2 in the long run. Just imagine a life without remembering to take your pills or worse your insulin is a great incentive so take that first step into the a new dawn of dare I say it being diabetes FREE

Reactions: 4 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For all those how are on the ND diet or thinking of doing it please bare in mind that it's an 8 week process and everybody is different so different people will get different results but it's the end result that we are all interested in. There will be times when you want to give in God I had a lot of those but it was the possibility of the end result that kept me going not only in terms of loosing weight or looking and feeling good but the best possible chance or reversing T2 in the long run. Just imagine a life without remembering to take your pills or worse your insulin is a great incentive so take that first step into the a new dawn of dare I say it being diabetes FREE

I would say it could even be longer or much shorter than 8 weeks depending on your starting point. Richard Doughty did it for only 11 days. When to stop is slightly unclear and certainly for me that is a question I am currently pondering.