Incident at work today...

Petewright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My brother went through the exact same situation. He was a lifeguard. You are protected. Don't worry

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Guy,

Who would I go to outside of my work to put in a discrimination/victimisation claim?

I've since left my work and started temping with agencies to get some valuble experience in the line of work I'd like to get into but my work seem to be ignoring the issue now that I have left.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Interesting thread this.. I had an assistant manager similar to this over a couple of years back..?
I was pulled in for hearings for a multitude of trumped up disciplinaries to which I was vindicated due to the complimentary acounts of colleagues discounting her lies.. some of which outrageously surreal.
The odd thing was when I called the CCTV into account to verify my defence. They discovered footage missing.. The only staff with access privelidge was management..
To cut a long story short the assistant manager's credibility started to come into question with whispers of unaccountable discrepancies in the safe & "amendments" to her time sheet regarding clocking in & out.. She had a habit of "running late" or cutting loose early, dropping the keys in my hand...

It all came to a head when I was pulled in and accused of covert filming using a "spy pen". (Possibly her retaliation for my highlighting the CCTV situation?) Though to be fair, HR had no idea how to deal with it. It all resolved to a satisfactory conclusion when I produced the evidence they were looking for with an explaination of what a NOVO PEN is...!!:banghead:

I was then encouraged by the General Manager to put a grievance against her which dragged on for months. It was agreed during this time I would relocate to another store. (I wanted a quiet life too.) in the end she got busted down to plain ol shop assistant.. On hearing the news I moved on to a better job! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guy,

Who would I go to outside of my work to put in a discrimination/victimisation claim?

I've since left my work and started temping with agencies to get some valuble experience in the line of work I'd like to get into but my work seem to be ignoring the issue now that I have left.
If you really, really wanted to do this, you can do it yourself, as an individual.

You would initially lodge a grievance against the company, stating why you feel aggrieved, and you will also be required to state why you did not bring the grievance whilst employed there. Sometimes matters are deferred because the aggrieved person may fear for their safety or the like, if they raise the grievance in situ, or the person may have had to go off sick, due to whatever the grievance is about, then may have resigned on medical grounds. I'm not sure where you stand, legally, to bring this retrospectively, if you left to take up a preferred new direction with your career.

The grievance procedure will have a defined route map, which, if they accept the greivance, they must follow, as I'd you still worked there. If they don't accept the grievance, you can ask for the request to go up the line to a more senior decision maker. Should it go ahead, and you lose, then you have the right to appeal, after which you would be into employment tribunal territory, which starts to get expensive (£250 to lodge the claim, then a further £950 if the claim is heard in court.).

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but I think you should have a clear vision of what you want to achieve, and how much you are willing to invest attempting to achieve it. Might it be better to focus on looking forward, and making the most of the new opportunities you are exploring just now? Looking backwards will/would involve a lot of distraction - in terms of time and emotions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Maybe your right. I guess I might just be being as bad as him by going out of my way to get him in the **** lol

netdogg2637

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily injections.
Yeah don't back down also health and safety law is on your side if they knew your status when you took the job they can't bully you because you have hypos at work, ******** them to because chances are they don't know the law to treat you that way, hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 people

Petewright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bit late with this. I am Peters brother (above post) I went through the same thing as a lifeguard. If at any point you are made to feel threatened or unable to work because of your condition you can file a grievance under the discrimination of disabilities act. If you have left because of this treatment then you can file for constructive dismissal whish entitles you to up to 1 year salary payment to compensate for your loss of work. The discrimination of disability act is very strong and he should have been severely disciplined for saying that to you. Hope this helps. The only downside is that you need to file this suit within 3 months of leaving so I think you would be too late.

elaineadams

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
When you see your Facilities Manager you need to quote the 2015 Equality Act you can find more information from this site: http://www.acas.org.uk/equalityact. If you want some help contact your local Diabetes UK Office, the contact information can be found at www.diabetes.uk.org or on any of the their literature. Your employer has to make reasonable adjustment for you to manage your condition. I would also suggest that on the next management training day time is set aside for a diabetes awareness talk..again your local Diabetes UK office will be able to work with your employer to arrange this.

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice as there was a bit of an issue at work today.

I'm a lifeguard and while scrubbing changing room floors today I had a minor hypo. I didn't test though I just went and grabbed my protein shake and banana. The carbs in the shake being adequate enough to fix it.

My line manager decided no one should ever be in the staff room unless they are on a break. This is fine, but I couldn't help it. He decided to come over and tell me he was going to discipline me. I told him I was having a hypo but instead of just leaving it at that he made up some **** about me lying to him about being in the changing rooms when I wasn't. I had simply said we were "way ahead of him" when he asked if we had started cleaning.

I feel this was so he could get me for something as he is on a bit of a power trip. He also accused me of leaving the cleaning cupboard door open when I didn't and has "made it his goal to get me sacked" which I think was because I was sticking up for myself. I told him I was going to take out a grievence and take it to the facility manager but he has a lot more power and influence than me. He told me to just remember who Is in the management team.

I may have also told him he was a poor manager but this was in private and I was angry.

He was quite aggressive from the minute a started to defend myself.

I'm worried this is going to go a lot further than it needs to and I'm going to end up out of a job. I just want it all to be dropped and forgotten about.

All advice is much appreciated :)

Thanks
Craig Kerr

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Bit late with this. I am Peters brother (above post) I went through the same thing as a lifeguard. If at any point you are made to feel threatened or unable to work because of your condition you can file a grievance under the discrimination of disabilities act. If you have left because of this treatment then you can file for constructive dismissal whish entitles you to up to 1 year salary payment to compensate for your loss of work. The discrimination of disability act is very strong and he should have been severely disciplined for saying that to you. Hope this helps. The only downside is that you need to file this suit within 3 months of leaving so I think you would be too late.

your company must obey the law. it is called the Equality act 2010. they brought in extra protection called discrimination on the grounds of disability- this means not directly about your disability but the effects- this is what this is. He cannot forbid you to be in the locker room because your diabetes means that you need access. This is direct discrimination.
I agree with others above- make your hr aware of what has happened and that you are aware of the law but do not want to take formal action as you are sure he was just "forgetting" your disability but could they have a quiet word and ensure that he does not accidently discriminate again please as it made you feel very unwelcome.
will find- if you don't want to take action that this has the desired effect. If not once it is logged then you can complain formally and use this as evidence if he does it again.