My low carb experience

susan1968

Hello everyone. First of all I´d like to tell you that I´ve been diabetic T1 for six years (I´m 41). I live in Spain and here endocrines can´t conceive a diabetic not having any carbs. After all these years I have learnt that I´m my best doctor. I have been for a very long time on a low carb diet and it fits me perfectly, in fact my last test was 5.3. For breakfast I usually have 5 sugarfree biscuits with a white coffee. For lunch, salad ( a huge one :lol: ) with fish or meat and for supper, cooked vegetables or salad. Sometimes I have a yoghourt in the afternoons. About once a week I have a lentil salad and on Sundays I now and again have the typical Spanish paella (rice with vegetables and meat) During the week I never eat bread; if I have a hypo I solve it with and apple (it´s amazing how quickly my sugar goes up with an apple...) I´m very strict with myself. If I fancy a pizza on a weekend I prepare it myself and I usually use wholemeal flour. In the Spanish diabetic forum everybody talks about the importance of eating carbs so it has been a great surprise to find this forum.

Doczoc

Welcome Susan, sometimes I wonder if I am missing something simple. Carbs raise blood sugar, raised blood sugar leads to diabetic complications, solution = reduce carbs????? What is strange about that conclusion. BTW I love Spain, itching to get back there for a holiday but worried about the reliance on carbs out there. I LOVE Spanish food! :cry:

susan1968

Hello Doczoc, don´t worry you can came to Spain and not have to eat any carbs :lol: . I live in the Mediterranean area, in Castellón (North of Valencia) and as you have probably heard, the Mediterranean diet is very healthy, plenty fresh fish and vegetables. Of course, the area of Valencia is famous for its paellas but you can have a plate once in a blue moon... :wink: Let me know if you decide to come .

Doczoc

susan1968 said:
Hello Doczoc, don´t worry you can came to Spain and not have to eat any carbs :lol: . I live in the Mediterranean area, in Castellón (North of Valencia) and as you have probably heard, the Mediterranean diet is very healthy, plenty fresh fish and vegetables. Of course, the area of Valencia is famous for its paellas but you can have a plate once in a blue moon... :wink: Let me know if you decide to come .

Hmmm sounds wonderful! I think the credit crunch has taken it's toll on any foreign holidays this year and my wife's car was written off on the weekend by some goon!!! So maybe next year! Where would you recommend staying in that region?

susan1968

Hello Doczoc, if you ever decide to come (once the crisis turns its back to us) I would recommend Jávea, it´s a small village in the province of Alicante (other nearby villages are Denia, Calpe, Moraira...) Of course, it all depends on what you´re looking for; if you want beach, Jávea is ideal, perfect for snorkling, scuba diving....On the other hand if you enjoy trekking, the area of the Pyrenees is ideal. The North of Spain is very pretty. Bye for now. :D

Doczoc

We've been to Moraira, that was a wonderful holiday! And I think Barcelona if my favourite city on earth! Thanks for the recommendations! When I go away I like, culture and food, I like going 'local' if you know what I mean, I don't see the point of going abroad if you don't try out the culture and cuisine! :D :D :D :D

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ah, lovely memories of Seville, now there's a city.
I took my wife there for her birthday a few years back. Wonderful tapas bars, and a place called the Carboneria where they staged plays in the bar, then through a velvet curtain into the back room where we watched flamenco dancers and astonishing guitarists 'till the wee small hours.

fergus

susan1968

Doczoc, I know exactly what you mean when you talk about looking for the culture and the cuisine of the area you visit, it´s good to be open minded and try different things :wink:

susan1968

Fergus, you chose the best city to really enjoy Spanish culture. Seville is a wonderful city with very friendly people :wink:

Trinkwasser

susan1968 said:
Fergus, you chose the best city to really enjoy Spanish culture. Seville is a wonderful city with very friendly people :wink:

You shouldn't make those oranges though. Mother's Seville orange marmalade is now but a distant dream

Doczoc

Trinkwasser said:
susan1968 said:

You shouldn't make those oranges though. Mother's Seville orange marmalade is now but a distant dream

oooh I love a homemade marmalade <sigh>

susan1968

Well, you can always have a homemade sugarfree marmalade. In fact I prepared som a few weeks ago and I put sacarine (liquid) and neutral gelly. It´s nothing to scream about but better than nothing :lol:

Doczoc

susan1968 said:
Well, you can always have a homemade sugarfree marmalade. In fact I prepared som a few weeks ago and I put sacarine (liquid) and neutral gelly. It´s nothing to scream about but better than nothing :lol:

Hmmmm to be honest Susan I have taken the approach of not trying to emulate my previous food choices with artificial replacements. I have decided I need to change my eating habits completely. This has largely worked, I not longer crave any of my 'regular' foods I used to eat! I never ate marmalade in large amounts and your description of a non sugar one doesn't have me salivating LOL