Newcastle Diet results so far

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone is different. I am going to do till I loose sixth of my weight so that's about 10 kilos or 8 weeks whichever is farther

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@vit90 your fasting figures are in 6's right now if I was you I would have continued. I hardly go in 6's and normally stay in 4's and 5'd but when I have something full of carbs I do go upto late 6's and in 7's after an hour. I wud say I am more in 5. I hardly see a 4 but I do see it sometimes

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@flashtash how's your newly found freedom going, will you be asking the gp to do an ogtt as well on you?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Pipp if everyone exercised and watched their diet then only the real genetic diabetics would be left.....:)
Wrong.
All my life I've been very active.
At just under six foot three fourteen stone for over twenty years made me quite slim.
I have never had a sweet tooth.
Never been into snacking crisps cakes chocolate sweets fizzy drinks.
A wife who makes home made everything so not a junk food person either.
As far as I know there has never been a diabetic or obese person in my family line.
I had to start taking a drug called Gabapentin ... main side effect weight gain.
At the same time I went from being very active to very inactive because of spinal problems.
Went from fourteen stone to eighteen stone in a matter of weeks and within a about three years was diagnsed diabetic.
There are many slim diabetics.
Your attitude is quite dreadful and even ignorant and presumably fed by red top propaganda sheets.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
You'll be pleased to know I acted straight away by researching online.
Went the lchf route and have now lost three stone so down to fifteen stone .... no longer obese even though I can't be active.
Blood sugars under control blood pressure under control cholesterol improving stopped smoking hardly touch alcohol.
So please don't put me in your fat lazy category.

Reactions: 2 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with you jack
I am on a healthy bmi no family history of diabetes make everything from scratch myself coz I love cooking and here I am diabetic. Never had a sweet tooth and never a massively heavy eater.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wrong.
All my life I've been very active.
At just under six foot three fourteen stone for over twenty years made me quite slim.
I have never had a sweet tooth.
Never been into snacking crisps cakes chocolate sweets fizzy drinks.
A wife who makes home made everything so not a junk food person either.
As far as I know there has never been a diabetic or obese person in my family line.
I had to start taking a drug called Gabapentin ... main side effect weight gain.
At the same time I went from being very active to very inactive because of spinal problems.
Went from fourteen stone to eighteen stone in a matter of weeks and within a about three years was diagnsed diabetic.
There are many slim diabetics.
Your attitude is quite dreadful and even ignorant and presumably fed by red top propaganda sheets.

I really appreciate your response to this @JACKTHELAD and @brettsza

Although I agree with you, I would respectfully request from everyone posting here to keep on topic. I would hate to see this thread derailed, or deleted. It is an excellent source of information and shared experience for Newcastle diet.

(Apologies for sounding like a wannabe moderator) I owe my life to Newcastle diet, which is why I am so passionately defending this thread.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I really appreciate your response to this @JACKTHELAD and @brettsza

Although I agree with you, I would respectfully request from everyone posting here to keep on topic. I would hate to see this thread derailed, or deleted. It is an excellent source of information and shared experience for Newcastle diet.

(Apologies for sounding like a wannabe moderator) I owe my life to Newcastle diet, which is why I am so passionately defending this thread.
Sorry Pip.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@vit90 your fasting figures are in 6's right now if I was you I would have continued. I hardly go in 6's and normally stay in 4's and 5'd but when I have something full of carbs I do go upto late 6's and in 7's after an hour. I wud say I am more in 5. I hardly see a 4 but I do see it sometimes

It's academic as it's impractical for me to continue past next Tuesday but my FBGs are typically in the low 5s but with the occasional 6. I do get 4s during the day but I don't test that often apart from first thing in the morning.

I also suspect that being in nutritional ketosis is not flattering my numbers.

I am 23% lighter than I was in 2006 and have lost 13% of the weight I was last summer. 1/6th would mean losing another 8 or 9lbs.

Nevertheless, I am committed and if necessary I will resume the diet after my trip abroad.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would be tragic to lose this thread. It has been an inspiration to me and I am sure to many others.Without this and a couple of others I doubt I would be hoping to do the ND if my liver scan is OK.

At 7 stone I doubt that I will lose 15% of my body weight as I am already underweight.

I would refute what others have said regarding "fat, lazy, greedy" although maybe not in those words. It is wrong and there are many of us T2s who are none of those. I have never been overweight in my adult life (I was tubby until my teens). Although I didn't do any sport after I left school I had a job where I was on my feet all day and since my children have been adult I have had horses which I look after as well as a full time job on my feet all day (starting at 4.30am and often not finishing until after 9.00pm. I admit to having had too little sleep, erratic eating (due to long hours working and a stressful job) and having a sweet tooth; I think mine was lifestyle but there are many others who also have no choice over work/life balance and don't get diabetes. I think there is probably a genetic pre disposition to diabetes and even though there is no family history it just takes a combination of risk factors to tip us over the edge.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since I never liked anything sweet I find having 3 sweet shakes a day really difficult task. Thinking of adding more water than what the pack states to make it less sweet.

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@flashtash how's your newly found freedom going, will you be asking the gp to do an ogtt as well on you?
Yep everything is good have a new lease of life feel like a teenager again we have glorious sunshine here in Birmingham at the moment so have been out for a 5.5 mile run around Alexander stadium

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi all I'm a once Newcastle diet participant, couple of years back but let things slip, so as of Monday back on it.
Really annoyed and depressed about it, so really need to do it again, didn't put all my previous weight back on but a fair bit. I know if I stick to it my sugars will drop really quickly. Have there been any updates about a follow on diet??

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all I'm a once Newcastle diet participant, couple of years back but let things slip, so as of Monday back on it.
Really annoyed and depressed about it, so really need to do it again, didn't put all my previous weight back on but a fair bit. I know if I stick to it my sugars will drop really quickly. Have there been any updates about a follow on diet??

How long ago?
What do you mean 'let things slip'?
Did you 'reverse' diabetes when you did ND before?
What is happening with BG and have you had a HbA1c?

Am I asking too many questions? Probably, but I am concerned I could mess up if I don't stop eating stupid stuff, so any info from another with experience is invaluable.
Thanks.

Don't get too down though. You can get this sorted.the 'follow on' diet recommended by Prof Taylor and his team is to eat less than you used to. Many people advocate Low carb.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi pipp I did reverse disbetes but once I'd finished there was no guidance about wat I should do so instead of being sensible I just went back to old ways I think the object lesson is you can never go back to old ways it's a complete forever change of lifestyle that's why I'm struggling to start again

Reactions: 3 people

Merrylizard1314

12th day,ND, and there has been a small sign that things are improving for me BGL-wise, in that before lunch today, it was 4.6! Unfortunately could not do post prandials, but looking forward to tomorrow.
This site is so supportive, and you folks are so knowledgeable. I have found much assistance here. Thanks.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I watched a video a few weeks ago where the presenter likened the "fatty liver" to a jar that you keep putting more liquid in and over time it fills up and then the liquid spills out and this is when the high blood glucose starts. The liquid is the glucose stored in the liver and the way to keep it from spilling over is fasting; i.e. less calories in than out. He recommended fasting and quoted religions where fasting was done annually e.g. Lent, Ramadan. This removes the " liquid from the jar" and until it is full again no more liquid over spill. We were meant to have times of "feast and famine" as in summer and winter where we stored fat and then used it up before starting the cycle again; nowadays we are in permanent feast mode! Makes sense so a good diet and days of low calories sounds the way to go after the ND; the 5:2 diet springs to mind as something that would work.

Reactions: 7 people