Insulin Intolerance

jhowe60

I'm 54 and been a type 2 Diabetic for over 12 years. I've always had to take quite high doses of insulin, but I'm now taking more and more and this is despite my Carbohydrate intake being low, but my blood sugars being high.
I've tried to lose weight and I have an active job, but I just seem to put it on my stomach.
For example the other morning after I awoke my blood was 14.1, I took 55 units of insulin and after 2 hours my blood came down to 12.1.
I was recently on holiday and had very little carbs and walked for 4 or 5 miles a day, but my blood was still high and I was taking 40 to 50 units of insulin. (Novorapid)
Been to my doctors and they believe my body has become tollerent to the insulin, but don't know what to do next.

Very frustrated.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Try a different type of insulin would be my first thought. If you are on analogue insulin's perhaps try synthetic or consider animal insulin.

jhowe60

I'm waiting to go for blood tests. Been to the doctors since December, but still waiting for something to be done. Thanks for your reply.

Martin1962

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm 54 and been a type 2 Diabetic for over 12 years. I've always had to take quite high doses of insulin, but I'm now taking more and more and this is despite my Carbohydrate intake being low, but my blood sugars being high.
I've tried to lose weight and I have an active job, but I just seem to put it on my stomach.
For example the other morning after I awoke my blood was 14.1, I took 55 units of insulin and after 2 hours my blood came down to 12.1.
I was recently on holiday and had very little carbs and walked for 4 or 5 miles a day, but my blood was still high and I was taking 40 to 50 units of insulin. (Novorapid)
Been to my doctors and they believe my body has become tollerent to the insulin, but don't know what to do next.

Very frustrated.

Are you obese or overweight?

louch1

Hi . I am also type 2 and insulin resident. I am in currently slow releasing mediformin . It's been hard. There are days when my levels are good( 7-8) but recently it's gone up to 12-13 for no reason. I keep fit by running 3 times per week but I am obese. I really hate taking the tablets because of the effects it has on my stomach and I have to be careful because I work in a school and it can be difficult to nip to the loo. :-/

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
From reading what others on the forum have written, you haven't mentioned whether you are using Metformin as well as Insulin? The two in combination are supposed to work well together @jhowe60 .

With regard to weight loss, I'm afraid it's all about diet. It's surprising how much one eats when one isn't looking. Whilst you may have a job with long hours (many of us do), planning what you are going to eat as much as possible and making your own food is really the only way to control what you eat and manage your weight.

As I'm sure you're aware, high volumes of insulin don't help with weight reduction, so whilst it might seem like an enormous challenge at this point in time, getting on top of your diet now is the best place to start. It's not just about reducing the carbs, it's also about making sure that you eat only enough and not more. I'm afraid it's a calorie count and carb count game, not just carbs.