Afrezza inhaled fast acting insulin

T.H. Brown

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn't actually give any medical data though of any imorovements.. Just testimonies according to what I have read.
I found medical data on his twitter page. He seems to be doing much better that the results that were achieved during the clinical trials which I've read can be attributed to the way that the FDA designed the trials which prevented Afrezza users from using the insulin in the best way possible: https://twitter.com/afrezzauser

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm curious - can you guys share how you made the switch from injectable insulin to the inhaled one? How your doses changes, etc?

Reactions: 2 people

Im_typeone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm curious - can you guys share how you made the switch from injectable insulin to the inhaled one? How your doses changes, etc?
I still use my Lantis/basil every day. I just replaced my Humalog with afrezza doses. Larger meals I take up to 12 U of afrezza...smaller meals/low-carb meals I usually only need 4u. But that took some tweaking. Sometimes if I notice I am going hi, i.e. 160+, I will take another 4u. That's what I do. Everyone's experience though would be a little different

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still use my Lantis/basil every day. I just replaced my Humalog with afrezza doses. Larger meals I take up to 12 U of afrezza...smaller meals/low-carb meals I usually only need 4u. But that took some tweaking. Sometimes if I notice I am going hi, i.e. 160+, I will take another 4u. That's what I do. Everyone's experience though would be a little different
How does it work, you can only get specific doses 4/12/something units from the inhaler? Did the doses you need change? Ie, you need less bolus on in the inhaler?

Reactions: 3 people

Im_typeone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How does it work, you can only get specific doses 4/12/something units from the inhaler? Did the doses you need change? Ie, you need less bolus on in the inhaler?
They come in four or eight u packets. Semi equable it to your Humalog units. I want to say I used about 30 to 36 u of Humalog a day and about similar in Afrezza units. The difference being is the Afrezza is more predictable, blood glucose levels are more correctable.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They come in four or eight u packets. Semi equable it to your Humalog units. I want to say I used about 30 to 36 u of Humalog a day and about similar in Afrezza units. The difference being is the Afrezza is more predictable, blood glucose levels are more correctable.
What do you mean correctable? I'm on Novorapid, but I'm not sure what you mean that Humalog is unpredictable? Can you give me an example?
Btw, what's the action time of the inhaled insulin? On Novo I find it to be up to 4hrs, I'm assuming this is shorter?

Reactions: 3 people

Im_typeone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do you mean correctable? I'm on Novorapid, but I'm not sure what you mean that Humalog is unpredictable? Can you give me an example?
Btw, what's the action time of the inhaled insulin? On Novo I find it to be up to 4hrs, I'm assuming this is shorter?
Sometimes on Humalog the Humalog would peak later, causing me to crash. I also found too that my blood sugars rise in the morning, even before eating, I can correct those right away usually within an hour with a dose of Afrezza. Any noted highs can be corrected quickly w/o fear of stacking my insulin (ie taking more humalog while humalog is still in my system) The Afezza is much faster I've noted.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yes... I'm new to this forum. Someone told me about people in UK wanting to hear about Afrezza and that people had questions. I am on Afrezza, it is really helping me. I want to let all diabetics know about it. It's not a "miracle drug" or a cure. But it is a better insulin, that happens to be inhaled. It has helped me a lot-controlling my blood sugars, cutting back on eating, more energy... I have been following this since 2008 and couldn't wait for it to be available.. Now that I have it, it is even better than I hoped. I hope you all can get access to it soon !

How would we get access to it, I am very interested. My diabetes consultant, GP or trials.

Thanks

RRB

Im_typeone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How would we get access to it, I am very interested. My diabetes consultant, GP or trials.

Thanks

RRB
I don't know. I just know that it's available in the states now. And I, for one could not be happier :). Sanofi has done a soft launch here.. Giving them time to educate providers and such... Just a matter of time I reckon when it will be more widely advertized

alaska

Very interesting thread. To those in the US, don't be too put off by the scepticism, I think it's largely healthy scepticism. It's interesting to hear how people are managing with Afrezza.

So there are some highs being experienced but, because it's quicker acting and doesn't last for 3-4 hours (like injected boluses), you don't get the same stacking problems(?).

As someone who injects, it can be frustrating when you do a correction because you know it's going to be a 1 to 2 hour wait for the blood sugars start coming down, and then you have 2-3 hour after the correction period whereby you could potentially start going too low.

Back to Afrezza:
  • How consistent is the dosing? Are there any personal dosing strategies you've needed to develop?
  • How do you cope with meals that are higher in protein/fat?
  • Are you having more hypos in general, less hypos, or about the same?
Ed

Im_typeone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have. Question for @AfrezzaUser , @Bsharp6669 @T.H. Brown and @Im_typeone ? ( welcome, by the way :))

All of you have mentioned using Afrezza in conjunction with a basal, and the one mentioned is Lantus. Is there a recommendation for a basal other than Lantus (which is also made by Sanofi ) ?

Signy
Lantus has but what I've been using for basil all along. I don't know about other basals.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys

I would be interest to know the cost comparison between afrezza and Humalog/Novolog.

I ask because I had to make a case to my doctor to switch me to Tresiba basal as I didn't do so well with Lantus/Levemir. I had some resistance because it's £72 for 5 carts rather than £42 for 5 carts of Lantus/Levemir. It's one thing to get NICE to approve it in the UK, but would be another to get it prescribed over less expensive boluses if it was costly by comparison.

Im_typeone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very interesting thread. To those in the US, don't be too put off by the scepticism, I think it's largely healthy scepticism. It's interesting to hear how people are managing with Afrezza.

So there are some highs being experienced but, because it's quicker acting and doesn't last for 3-4 hours (like injected boluses), you don't get the same stacking problems(?).

As someone who injects, it can be frustrating when you do a correction because you know it's going to be a 1 to 2 hour wait for the blood sugars start coming down, and then you have 2-3 hour after the correction period whereby you could potentially start going too low.

Back to Afrezza:
  • How consistent is the dosing? Are there any personal dosing strategies you've needed to develop?
  • How do you cope with meals that are higher in protein/fat?
  • Are you having more hypos in general, less hypos, or about the same?
Ed
I can answer later... After work

Im_typeone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can answer later... After work
Hi Ed,
Thanks for the questions.

I have found The dosing to be fairly consistent. My meals are usually between eight and 12 units of Afrezza. Some meals.. I wait 10-15 mins after before taking the Afrezza to time the insulin with the sugar peak. Sometimes I take 8u with the meal with a 4u later if I start to see a rise. It's funny, (I am on a cgm) now when I see a 170 and rising I will react with insulin... Before I would be at. 250 or higher before making an adjustment or correction for fear of stacking and crashing.

I usually just look at the carb total in the meal... And dose based on that... And check again in an hour or so to see if an adjustment Is needed

Way less hypos .... The Afrezza is in AND out of your system... It does its job and is gone . I do not have dramatic rises and falls anymore... It's just been about 3 weeks and gets better all the time .. Very happy so far .

Another thing I have noticed, is that I only eat generally during meal time. I don't need to snack in between meals, I don't have to eat to combat lows, and I feel way more even keeled.

I am just here to share my experiences and help my insight can help you .. I welcome any more questions you may have and will answer best as I can.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for that insight @Im_typeone. You seem to manage your glucose levels in the same way that I do in terms of sugar surfing, but using Afrezza instead of NovoRapid (Novolog in the US), however I am dosing when my bg level reaches 6.5mmol/l (117), and do stack insulin whilst surfing, which doesn't seem to cause massive lows (mainly due to the way I eat, which is as a result of my fitness regime). It looks like the main difference is the tightness of dosing to carb counting?

It would be interesting to understand how you used to manage your levels before?

T.H. Brown

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that insight @Im_typeone. You seem to manage your glucose levels in the same way that I do in terms of sugar surfing, but using Afrezza instead of NovoRapid (Novolog in the US), however I am dosing when my bg level reaches 6.5mmol/l (117), and do stack insulin whilst surfing, which doesn't seem to cause massive lows (mainly due to the way I eat, which is as a result of my fitness regime). It looks like the main difference is the tightness of dosing to carb counting?

It would be interesting to understand how you used to manage your levels before?
There's an interesting series of comments where your questions are addressed here: http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/topics/taking-the-plunge-with-afrezza

This might also be helpful:
http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/top...-week?id=583967:Topic:3642706&page=1#comments

Reactions: 4 people

Billytrack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump