Meters and When Best to Use Them

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've ordered my meter - when do I use to get the best most meaningful results from it?

Sorted007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 2s are often not encouraged to test, but if you want to, then pretty much demand that you get strips from your GP. They should not be able to refuse you.

Most Type 1s blood test more-or-less before each meal, and sometimes do a little extra test mid-morning, mid-afternoon and before bed.

Reactions: 2 people

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2, I want to monitor my BG levels so I get some kind of idea how my body is reacting to the LCFF lifestyle I'm trying to follow.

I ordered strips when I ordered my meter, so I should hopefully get them soon.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
1) First thing in the morning before showering or eating anything.
2) Immediately before first bite of a meal you want to test the impact of
3) Two hours after starting to eat that meal
4) Bed time

Some meals you might want to try +1 and +3 as well, to see when the spike maxes, but +2 is conventional.

The difference between 1) and 4) will let you know if you have significant liver dumps (dawn phenomenon).

HTH

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m type 2. i test as soon as i get up. then before eating each meal and test 2 hours after each meal

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you - it's such a learning curve Id just like to tell if I'm on the right road or not.

@sanguine what are liver dumps - sound painful!! :***:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
@sanguine what are liver dumps - sound painful!! :***:

It's a natural process where the liver produces glucose before the rigours of the day start (hunting, gathering, shopping, that sort of thing). With diabetes it can produce annoying fasting blood sugars higher than the night before which can be a bit puzzling if you don't know about it. If you search on the forum for 'Dawn Phenomenon' (posh phrase for it) there is much more info.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Usually a T2 trying to get testing strips out of the NHS = wall, head, banging :banghead:
Myself I feel it's a worthwhile expense with the Codefree. Possibly even life enhancing.
Testing procedure as already advised above.
Tell us how you get on.

jason134

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diabetes at the moment
Hi don't know if nhs Wales is different but I'm fairly recently diagnosed t2 and got a meter not enough strips to last the month though. I have been testing before each meal and 2 hrs after

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm Welsh so can I write and ask for some to be sent over the border?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I test
  • (usually) first thing when I wake up
  • Immediately before a meal
  • 2 hours after
  • occasionally also 1 hour after if I'm eating a new food that may be higher carb than normal
I don't do a bedtime test as such as I eat supper.

Keep a food diary or at least a note of what (carby) food give you a higher than normal spike and avoid or reduce portion size.

Robbity

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have made it my practice to guess the BG before I test . and I and pretty close most of the time,
as a result I test very seldom.. I am on HFLC its working well.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi don't know if nhs Wales is different but I'm fairly recently diagnosed t2 and got a meter not enough strips to last the month though. I have been testing before each meal and 2 hrs after
You won your battle to get strips on the NHS I think? Well done!

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm Welsh so can I write and ask for some to be sent over the border?
I'm half Welsh. Does that mean I can get half of mine sent over the border ???. Comes in handy when watching the six nations...

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol.. I must confess to never having a problem getting the meter I require and enough strips. But then I do have a nerve problem that affects both hands.I also suffered with nerve problems from chemotherapy.I presented my case to the diabetes nurse and have the accu chek mobile and 200 strips a month.No problem using a hammer but fiddly strips and using a pen is b***dy funny to watch. :banghead::banghead: