Poll regarding X-PERT High Fat/Low Carb diet

We call on Diabetes UK to recognise the LCHF diet alongside the HCLF diet.

• I have had good blood glucose control & improved health with LCHF

Votes: 62 87.3%
  • I have had good blood glucose control & improved health with the standard HCLF diet

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I have had unsatisfactory results with LCHF

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • I have had unsatisfactory results with the standard HCLF diet

Votes: 38 53.5%

• Total voters

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Sorry about this mysterious TLA (Three letter Acronym:)) Us technocrats/bureaucrats like TLAs:confused:
WoE does mean Way of Eating.
I can't recall where I picked it up from at present, but I prefer it due to the connotations of the term diet as diet implies a short term acute change whereas WoE implies that it is a long term philosophy of eating change.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How they will interpret this poll is...compared with those who see and feel the benefit of our wonderful high carb healthy grains diet. those on an unhealthy low carb high fat diet report more than 5 times higher, that it has been unsatisfactory for them.:banghead:

1. I have had good blood glucose control & improved health with the standard HCLF diet
    1 vote(s)

2. I have had unsatisfactory results with LCHF
    5 vote(s)

Reactions: 5 people

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Voted.

Having watched my blood sugars rising on the HCLF diet I discovered LCHF and am now recording almost non-diabetic levels.. Just glad I have been able to afford to self fund my testing supplies or else I would have had no chance of taking control of my condition..

Reactions: 18 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Voted.

Having watched my blood sugars rising on the HCLF diet I discovered LCHF and am now recording almost non-diabetic levels.. Just glad I have been able to afford to self fund my testing supplies or else I would have had no chance of taking control of my condition..
Well done... :) Absolutely... I'm the same... It was purely due to this forum that I learned how to control the BG levels... thank you everyone...

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
@Deakint Trudi - you may wish to incorporate this poll into your presentations.

I would appreciate advice on how to present this poll to Diabetes UK.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@Deakint Trudi - you may wish to incorporate this poll into your presentations.

I would appreciate advice on how to present this poll to Diabetes UK.

Very carefully by all accounts!!! (For presentation-lol:)

Syd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few points spring to mind, if Diabetes Uk, or anyone else for that matter, is going to recommend LCHF as an alternative to what is pejoratively termed HCLF, then the guidelines will have to be redrawn to the effect that one could go LCHF or HCLF and therefore, logically, somewhere in between. In other words the message would be perceived as being 'eat what you like'. This might not be in anyone's best interest.

Second point, is that I read that this forum last year achieved a membership of over 100,000. I appreciate that many are not active contributors but even so this poll (at present) represents a very small sample and its validity may be challenged on the grounds that it was likely to attract the more radical and vocal low carbers to vote.

Third point, the guidelines issued by the NHS and Diabetes UK and the American Diabetes Association are precisely that, guidelines and as such are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men (or women). As excess weight (i.e obesity) is the main cause of Type 2 Diabetes then any diet which is (1) sustainable and (2) leads to loss of weight , is perhaps one which the official bodies should sanction. That they do not do so now is because of the long standing, and some might say irrational, fear that consumption of fat, especially saturated animal fat, will contribute to heart disease. That IMHO is where the battleground lies.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Diabetes.co.uk seem to have revised their front page of the dietary advice? I'm sure it was worded differently a few weeks ago when I was appalled..

It seems moderate advice now?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
As excess weight (i.e obesity) is the main cause of Type 2 Diabetes.

Oh good grief not that again ... :banghead:

Reactions: 11 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Oh good grief not that again ... :banghead:

Note the context ...

Third point, the guidelines issued by the NHS and Diabetes UK and the American Diabetes Association are precisely that, guidelines and as such are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men (or women). As excess weight (i.e obesity) is the main cause of Type 2 Diabetes then any diet which is (1) sustainable and (2) leads to loss of weight , is perhaps one which the official bodies should sanction. That they do not do so now is because of the long standing, and some might say irrational, fear that consumption of fat, especially saturated animal fat, will contribute to heart disease. That IMHO is where the battleground lies.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Note the context ...
I take your point Ian but....whilst there is indeed a link between obesity and diabetes, does obesity cause type 2 diabetes ? or does insulin resistance (diabetes) cause obesity?

I would like to be taller than my 5 feet 4 inches so I'm going to start playing basketball........;)

Last edited by a moderator:

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Everyone should complete this Poll.
I think if the headling was changed to "Please Please, complete this Poll" or something like that it might encourage more people to get involved. The current number of voters is poor!