The truth about sugar..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
9pm on BBC1 tonight "the truth about sugar"

Has anybody watched it.

If they had mentioned carbs it would have been better explanation to how to fully read packets....

However, it said "sugar in fruit does not count"...

However it did state sugar as being the culprit for extra fat as in weight. Just wish it had told the public how to look at the total carbs on food packaging... It did a reasonable explanation on looking at foods as a whole, not just cakes and drinks.. It did explain about food manufacturers of processed foods adding sugar for taste.

What did others think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
A bit lacklustre wasn't it.

Using icing sugar for the flame experiment? Virtually any powdered substance would have done the same thing.

Whilst watching, I was also thinking to myself "what about the carbs then?"

Did you notice how the woman from the food manufacturers association failed to answer questions directly?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I only managed to see the last 20 minutes or so of the programme. The volunteers did well, didn't they ?especially the guy who drank all those fizzy drinks daily. I was shocked at the amount he drank, unbelievable. But I do hope they can continue quitting sugary foods. That is one food item I never drink or have drunk in my adult life. No sugar in tea since the age of 15 and very, very rarely drink fizzy drinks, maybe one or two on hot days, out and about in the summer time and that's it ( and that's zero sugar,diet, Pepsi Max) Looking forward to next weeks programme :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I kept thinking the same about carbs.. They needed to mention look at total carbs on packets... They mentioned sugar in baked beans, but not the bread!

iHs

Its just a smoke screen to divert from the truth. Carb is in so much food, if loads of it wasnt bought anymore, it would all build up on supermarket shelves and the shops would go bust

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Agree.. But annoying that manufacturers are allowed to add so much sugar purposely... To create the most cravings for people to go back and buy more!!!

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
BBC documentaries are slipping, don't count sugar in fruit? What about carbs? Still not educating the public are they.

Ali

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never had any sugar apart from carbs obviously and a crazy fruit eater and I am diabetic now so I agree two points they really missed were carbs are also sugar or they are converted into sugars. Also fruits sugar is better than the other sugar only coz I think it comes with the fibre and all the nutrients whereas pure sugar does not but at the end of it all it is still sugar.

G

graj0

Interesting. I was initially surprised at the weight loss just by cutting sugar, but 30 teaspoons of sugar is 120 gms which is about 460 calories so not so surprising.
I think as diabetics we think much more about carbs but I do think the program did a good job of highlighting the fact that sugar is pretty much everywhere in processed foods. It's frequently used when the fat is removed, just to put a bit of flavour back and of course to encourage us to eat the stuff and buy more.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Next time. The truth about calories." ;)

I agree regarding the shows "lacklustre".. But at least there wasn't the usual participant drama, tears & tantrums with the "life changers"..
It didn't surprise me about the the "natural sugars" support/promotion in fruit neither..
the "labrat" trained chimp style tomato soup food flavour testing with those "9?" subjects in that corporate laboratory was a bit sinister too..!

The punch line at the end about "having your cake & eating it".. I just felt the presenter was just itching to knock that one out... Boom boom!! :rolleyes:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Found this, 2 slices of egg on toast, sugar content 0.8 g. Considering how much sugar is in a can of fizzy pop, that's probably why it was highlighted so much, drink on the go, buy from most shops, take in your bag or at home straight from the fridge :eek:

Calories in 2 fried eggs with toast
View the full 2 fried eggs with toast Recipe
SparkRecipes is powered by

Trackers | Articles | Community

Nutrition Facts
Servings Per Recipe: 1
Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
  • Calories542.9
  • Total Fat30.6 g
  • Saturated Fat12.0 g
  • Polyunsaturated Fat5.6 g
  • Monounsaturated Fat9.9 g
  • Cholesterol451.0 mg
  • Sodium589.5 mg
  • Potassium428.4 mg
  • Total Carbohydrate48.2 g
  • Dietary Fiber5.6 g
  • Sugars0.8 g
  • Protein20.4 g
It also depends on the bread size too, thin/ thick, white/ brown.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you notice how the woman from the food manufacturers association failed to answer questions directly?

No sh!t, Sherlock! :D

In other news: Bishop of Rome admits to wearing eccentric head gear, and bears are observed defecating in areas of high tree concentration. :)

jahmoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible People
Problem with the Beeb is it try's to do real world issues, but also try's not to **** off big Corps, leaving us watching something of nothing!

It was trying to get the point over that Sugar is bad and causes Obesity and Diabetes and obviously other illness. Costs the NHS a load of money also.

Sugar in Fruit Juices that most people think are healthy and full of unnatural sugars, not forgetting it is put in most foods to make them taste better and then become addictive.

Sugar industry is massive, no sorry, it is MA-HU-SIV money maker and the food industry does not want this to change, watch John Oliver on the link explain why Sugar Corp is in no mood to change sugar in food.

Maybe a bit of bad language and get through first couple of minutes and it will get to the point, makes for very interesting news.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
The programme didn't tell me much I didn't already know - it confirmed my predjuces though.
To keep it in perspective, we need to remember that it was aimed at the general population - not diabetics, and as popular primetime edu-tainment was not going to be completely rigorous.
We all (well, many of us!) know that the food industry uses sugar to increase the palatability of their products and possibly to disguise cheaper recipes. We know that this presents a big long term health risk - way in excess of any concerns about fats. It it gets some folk thinking about and questioning their soda intake, then it has done its job.
Then folk can start to consider their carb intake - this will be harder.
I think the tide of public opinion on sugar is slowly shifting, in much the same way it did with tobacco and hydrogenated grease a couple of decades ago.