What is considered low doses of insulin?

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all! Good to see the range of needs. I sometimes feel like I've skipped the honeymoon period because from the start it's felt like my insulin requirements have been larger than you'd usually start on. It works for me though so must just be what I need. Although today I've purposely tried to be low low carb and I've only had 5 units of novorapid all day with steady levels. Proves that if I really don't want to take lots of insulin I need to low carb. Not sure I can commit to that for the rest of my life though! I like my carbs too much!

Reactions: 2 people

Kelsie

I am on very small doses due to high insulin sensitivity through my job being so active and exercising every day. I am on only 2 units basal and a maximum of 12-15 units bolus overall per day :) that's why the pump is so prefect for me and my diddy doses! :p

G

gemma6549

Because of low carbing I have a total of 10-20 units per day inclusive of background and quick acting. Before I started a low carb diet it would be 30-60 units a day.

The carbs sadly make all the difference for me.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on 21 basal plus another 20-40 a day for bolus. I'm not low carbing at the moment and weigh about 80kg.
That's Humalog, on a pump.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently MY Day Goes Like This

Morning Levmir 8 units
Breakfast- 10 units novorapid for about 45G Carbs
Lunch 4-6 units depending on how active im going to be 30G Carbs
Dinner - 10 units 50 G Carbs
Bed Levmir 10 units

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would think your daily doses is fairly normal.

When i was on my honeymoon i was at a 1unit Novorapid = 22g Carbs, and 10 Units Lantus... Now my honeymoon is either over or winding down and i am at 1:14 Novorapid, and 12 units Lantus. I have also noticed if i don't wait at least 20-30min after injecting before eating my sugars will spike above 10mmol/L which i do not enjoy... -_-

When I 'Low Carb' (usually just a meal a day) i only need 1-2 units, after the gym i typically don't need any insulin.

Low Carbing does mean less insulin, but less insulin does not mean loose weight.

The reason people loose weight on 'low carb' diets is not because they inject less insulin, its because they are eating less carbs. So even if you drop your carbs but still have high doses of insulin you should see some weight come off.

OR even better just count calories, and ensure you eat less calories then you burn each day, and you will loose weight no matter what you eat!