Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @geordie90 you are somewhat in my shoes when it comes to support from GP, I dont have mine on my side either but I am still going for it.
my a1c from diagnosis has reduced a lot from 142 to 39 in about 7 months and I am not really overweight either but hoping to just manage my condition better by going on the ND.

I think we should have a club of ND'ers past and present and also guys and girls who wish to join the club.

Reactions: 4 people

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
I agree the thing to remember, and I didn't do it last time, is that these changes are for life not for eight weeks.

Reactions: 2 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a question out of curiosity. What to do if you have a hypo during Newcastle diet? Have glucose tabs or no. I am feeling a little weird ears clogging so I just had a shake now. I don't have my kit with me so cant test. I had 2 packets of shakes so it's not like I have not had them.

squarebanana

Count me in i'm starting from tomorrow just done a two day fast to get all the **** out of me and get my mental state right and i'm up for it now, especially if someone from gods country needs a bit of motivation.

Reason being ive been feeling really bad, hit the booze and food too much this last 10 to 12 months and my blood work is all over the shop, my jobs suffering as well as my business, i am completely lethargic, and something needs to be done as i know i wont be here long if i carry on as i am.

I'm on the asda shakes with alpro unsweetened milk plus vegetables, just got to find a way of making them taste better,

good luck to everyone.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pipp I think the secret is to exercise as well as stuck to ND, it's not easy you will have periods of weakness and may give in but if you do then it doesn't mean you failed it just means back on it the next day, don't let one slip stop the progress you've made
You are right. I exercise most days in water, swimming or aquafit. Sometimes not able to though. Complex disabling medical and disability reasons.

Recently not able to do much. Not too disheartened though, as although I have gained some of the weight initially lost, due to having major surgery and being quite immobile for over a year, in the year since surgery I have maintained the same weight. (Even though that is too heavy). Blood glucose has been good too. As has cholesterol and BP.

So my reason for planning ND this time is rapid weight loss, whereas originally it was to reverse diabetes.

We will manage geordie. We have done this before.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a question out of curiosity. What to do if you have a hypo during Newcastle diet? Have glucose tabs or no. I am feeling a little weird ears clogging so I just had a shake now. I don't have my kit with me so cant test. I had 2 packets of shakes so it's not like I have not had them.

Never had hypo on ND. Are you drinking enough? What about having one of the Shake that weight bars. (Or other similar).

If you are regularly having these symptoms then perhaps reconsider if it is right for you. You must test BG if you feel you are having hypo.

I would emphasise that I thought it vital to have GP support too.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am drinking about 4 to 5 litres of water everyday. Dont know if it was a hypo or what but it's ok now. I was 4.6 when I came home may be just one of those days.
I am walking 4 to 5 miles everyday and my calorie intake is about 500 cals a day. Just thinking if I should scale down on my walking may be.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Count me in i'm starting from tomorrow just done a two day fast to get all the **** out of me and get my mental state right and i'm up for it now, especially if someone from gods country needs a bit of motivation.

Reason being ive been feeling really bad, hit the booze and food too much this last 10 to 12 months and my blood work is all over the shop, my jobs suffering as well as my business, i am completely lethargic, and something needs to be done as i know i wont be here long if i carry on as i am.

I'm on the asda shakes with alpro unsweetened milk plus vegetables, just got to find a way of making them taste better,

good luck to everyone.

Oh wow, another one of us. Good luck with it @squarebanana . A year ago we were a minority. So, we are pioneers and it is our duty to make the best of this and give hope to others. Sorry if that is a big responsibility, but we have the potential to be winners here too.
@squarebanana veg are among my favourite foods now. They are amazingly versatile. Lots of varieties, and can be raw, soup, baked, stir fry, roasted. Herbs and spices added make infinite flavours. Oh and I almost forgot, green smoothies are good too.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Day 1 in the Newcastle diet house
Not a bad start, two strawberry slim fast shakes made with water, couple of cups of tea, leafy salad, cucumber, onion,egg(boiled),chicken glass of water, eaten after an hour in the gym, weights, boxing, kettle bell and cardio, see what the figures are like in the morning. I'm looking forward to my eyesight becoming less fuzzy, I know that the improvements come quick, just hope the weight loss is quicker this time seemed to stall after about six weeks.
All those partaking start as you mean to go on

Reactions: 7 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am drinking about 4 to 5 litres of water everyday. Dont know if it was a hypo or what but it's ok now. I was 4.6 when I came home may be just one of those days.
I am walking 4 to 5 miles everyday and my calorie intake is about 500 cals a day. Just thinking if I should scale down on my walking may be.

I exercised obsessively when I did Total Food Replacement ND, with no ill effects.

@brettsza, do you really need to go so low calorie? 500 is extremely low if you are exercising. Also, your recent HbA1c looks fine, so why are you doing ND?

Sorry, not criticising, just curious.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 1 in the Newcastle diet house
Not a bad start, two strawberry slim fast shakes made with water, couple of cups of tea, leafy salad, cucumber, onion,egg(boiled),chicken glass of water, eaten after an hour in the gym, weights, boxing, kettle bell and cardio, see what the figures are like in the morning. I'm looking forward to my eyesight becoming less fuzzy, I know that the improvements come quick, just hope the weight loss is quicker this time seemed to stall after about six weeks.
All those partaking start as you mean to go on

Soon, I will be. Reading and preparing in readiness.

Well done with your good start.

squarebanana

@sqaurebanana welcome to the club. What are your numbers like in terms of bg and a1c.
Is this your second attempt or first

First attempt this, I normally jump on the bike this time every year and lose about 2 stone, but this year I have never felt so bad, admittedly I don't look after myself with my type 2 and drink too much, but that's all stopped now, and I go to see about my bloods tomorrow so I will fill you in more then.

Alan
SB

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I exercised obsessively when I did Total Food Replacement ND, with no ill effects.

@brettsza, do you really need to go so low calorie? 500 is extremely low if you are exercising. Also, your recent HbA1c looks fine, so why are you doing ND?

Sorry, not criticising, just curious.
Hi Pipp

I want to give myself a chance of putting diabetes into remission or reverse it. My fallback plan is lchf with help of which I have got from 142 to 39 but if possible I want to enjoy an odd treat and not think about carbs all the time. I am super super strict with myself and that's the reason of so much fall in a1c and that is without any exercise as I don't have time to do it coz unfortunately I have a 15 hour day home to office to back home and then leaves me no time for anything else. But if I want atleast as a one off treat I can eat the same meal as my wife who's actually stopped eating pretty much everything she loved and I feel bad about that. If these 8 weeks can give me that I'd be more than happy. Right now coz I don't eat I can go for walks on lunchtime. Just trying my best to do whatever I can to get better. I plan to go back to lchf with odd treats. I know these odd treats can soon takeover the lchf path but I know I can keep them as treats only and if I do manage to have one treat too many then I can slap myself on the back very well too.
As far as calories go I have 3 shakes 130 135 cals each making up about 400 cals and I just have black coffee or mint tea fresh one. The soup that I have I made with the list of veggies in ND but 200 grams of that soup can't be 200 calories as if I make myself a 50 calorie salad that's huge which is what I had yesterday and I weighed each and every item I put in. The soup has so much water 200 grams will not have 200 cals. I don't even use stock I use plain water to make them. Thats the reason why I am on 500 cals and not going higher. I don't know if I am doing right or not.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Brettsza that sounds canny extreme like but let's be right you know your body and it's very hard to starve yourself.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
So day two in the newcastle diet house
Had a good nights sleep not up once for the toilet which is a first recently, actually felt awake when I woke up, checked bloods at 7am, yesterday 13.......today 7.9!!!!! This is why I'm doing the ND the results are really quick, this time though I'm going to go for 8 weeks then follow a low fat low carb diet to maintain it.
Anyone out there who is undecided about it, yes it's not easy, yes you will struggle occasionally, but when you see your figures plummet, you lose weight and the look of incredulity on your nurse or GPs face when you get you hba1c results after three months and they are non diabetic levels is an amazing feeling.
What's two months? Then set up for rest of your life hopefully meds free and healthy.

Hairycamel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck to all of you embarking on what could be a life changing path! As a recent VCLD completer, I can only say it worked for me, so keep at it.

Reactions: 7 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will be starting ND soon. I am not a typical T2 as I was normal weight and only found I was diabetic when I went for my free NHS health check; was gobsmacked to find I had a glicose of 18.6mmol/L and an HbA1c of 10.4%; I was totally asymptomatic which the DN found hard to believe. As I am a biomedical scientist I knew exactly what that meant!

I started LCHF diet after several months of NHS recommended diet and struggling with my glucose levels (with carbs and very low fat, I even got some You Wouldn't Believe It's Not Butter instead of butter) and when I came on this site and lost 1 and a half stone putting me underweight at 7 stone (5' 3" tall) but thought I might be thin outside/fat inside. My DN (never seen my Dr) didn't want me to do the ND although she didn't really know much about it so arranged a liver scan for me which I was told would take about 2 weeks to get the results. I had the scan yesterday and was told my liver and pancreas were fine and they also did an abdominal scan so everything good. Guy doing the scan asked me why I was having it and when I told him he said I really mustn't lose any more weight but I am doing the ND in the hope of being able to eat more normally as at the moment I can't really have any carbs without my glucose going up; I don't want to gorge or eat unhealthily, just sometimes have a treat, a potato, a slice of bread etc.

I was expecting to have to wait until after Easter to start the ND and have a few things arranged over Easter which involve me as the driver to get to events so don't want to risk feeling unable to drive and letting people down so I will start as planned after Easter. If I had known I would get my result yesterday I would have said no to the driving this time!

Good luck to all of you on the diet, I will join you in a couple of weeks.