Diabetic Nurse Appointment :(

Kellrob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, i had my appointment yesterday with a diabetic nurse at a new Doctors surgery (as i had moved). I have been doing the LCHF for about 6 weeks. I went with all good intentions to discuss my new way of eating etc. I had read on the forum about some of the difficulties other diabetics were having with their diabetic team, but i have never had any problems ever......until NOW!! to be honest i felt slightly intimidated and at a disadvantage. I discussed my new way of eating and although she didnt make too much objections about it, i got a battering regarding testing my blood sugars. I advised her that because of my change in diet i was testing approx 6 times a day (before and after meals), this was so i could monitor the effect that foods were having on my blood sugar so i could adapt and make changes as necessary. i was told this was far too much and that the test strips were extremely expensive and a drain on NHS funds! she told me that the 6 month check at the diabetic clinic was more than enough to monitor my blood sugar and anyway if my reading started to get higher then they would increase my medication!!! WHAT???? stupid woman!!! i tried to explain that surely by my monitoring on a daily basis to keep my blood sugars within range helps my 6 monthly test results which in turn helps me in the long term? it was like banging my head against a brick wall!! i know it shouldnt have wound me up as much as it has but i cant believe how stubborn she was about it. she asked me to give her an example of a food that i had found to spike my bloods and i told her bananas. she asked what do i then do, stop eating that food, i said yes. she told me outright that i should not stop eating bananas as they had other good nutrients that i am missing out on. i told her i wasnt going to start eating bananas again just because she told me to. she said that i am at risk of not getting enough variety in my diet. i did explain that i do eat other fruits and i feel im a getting a good variety in my diet. What a complete wind up she was. Im seriously thinking of changing my doctors purely so i dont have to see her again, am i over reacting.? sorry for the rant

Reactions: 14 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I just can't understand the logic. Test strips are expensive, so we'll just increase your meds..........

I'd see if there is a different nurse next time.

Reactions: 4 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It never fails to amaze me how stupid some health care 'professional's can be, even when faced with the evidence that high carbs is the enemy, and that testing is essential to keep a check on your own health!!

I would definitely ask to see a different nurse, although most of them seem to think the same way.

I'm seeing my DN this afternoon for the first time sonce starting lchf but I'm not bothering to give her the details, I already know she doesn't agree with it from my first appointment with her in January. My A1C has gone down from 128 to 86 in 2 months and I've lost weight, and I'm just going to say I've cut down on carbs. Really can't be bothered to argue with her, it won't change anything and will just make me mad.

Reactions: 6 people

Kellrob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just can't understand the logic. Test strips are expensive, so we'll just increase your meds..........

I'd see if there is a different nurse next time.
I think i will arrange to see a different nurse next time, cant be getting stressed like that each time i need to see her.

Reactions: 2 people

Kellrob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It never fails to amaze me how stupid some health care 'professional's can be, even when faced with the evidence that high carbs is the enemy, and that testing is essential to keep a check on your own health!!

I would definitely ask to see a different nurse, although most of them seem to think the same way.

I'm seeing my DN this afternoon for the first time sonce starting lchf but I'm not bothering to give her the details, I already know she doesn't agree with it from my first appointment with her in January. My A1C has gone down from 128 to 86 in 2 months and I've lost weight, and I'm just going to say I've cut down on carbs. Really can't be bothered to argue with her, it won't change anything and will just make me mad.
I agree with your approach, surely as long as my readings are all getting better then that is a positive way forward. Im going to try not to dwell on it, the proof is in the numbers lol

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My blood was boiling before I got to the end of your OP. It's our lives that the NHS are playing with. And if giving us test strips controls our BG better then I'm all for it. What does make my blood boil is when people pester to get the strips and the meters and then flog them on EBAY or other sites. They make it impossible for us to get ours on prescription. I used the LCHF since being diagnosed and dropped From 80 to 39 on my HBa1C results. Told the nurse how I did it. And she said NICE guidelines meant I could not have a meter. EVEN THOUGH the doctor told me I could and to ask the nurse for one.

You have taken the right steps to keep yourself healthy. Stuff those that don't know what they are talking about.

Reactions: 8 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, i had my appointment yesterday with a diabetic nurse at a new Doctors surgery (as i had moved). I have been doing the LCHF for about 6 weeks. I went with all good intentions to discuss my new way of eating etc. I had read on the forum about some of the difficulties other diabetics were having with their diabetic team, but i have never had any problems ever......until NOW!! to be honest i felt slightly intimidated and at a disadvantage. I discussed my new way of eating and although she didnt make too much objections about it, i got a battering regarding testing my blood sugars. I advised her that because of my change in diet i was testing approx 6 times a day (before and after meals), this was so i could monitor the effect that foods were having on my blood sugar so i could adapt and make changes as necessary. i was told this was far too much and that the test strips were extremely expensive and a drain on NHS funds! she told me that the 6 month check at the diabetic clinic was more than enough to monitor my blood sugar and anyway if my reading started to get higher then they would increase my medication!!! WHAT???? stupid woman!!! i tried to explain that surely by my monitoring on a daily basis to keep my blood sugars within range helps my 6 monthly test results which in turn helps me in the long term? it was like banging my head against a brick wall!! i know it shouldnt have wound me up as much as it has but i cant believe how stubborn she was about it. she asked me to give her an example of a food that i had found to spike my bloods and i told her bananas. she asked what do i then do, stop eating that food, i said yes. she told me outright that i should not stop eating bananas as they had other good nutrients that i am missing out on. i told her i wasnt going to start eating bananas again just because she told me to. she said that i am at risk of not getting enough variety in my diet. i did explain that i do eat other fruits and i feel im a getting a good variety in my diet. What a complete wind up she was. Im seriously thinking of changing my doctors purely so i dont have to see her again, am i over reacting.? sorry for the rant

Are your strips on prescription? If you are self funding, she has no credible right to instruct you not to test, and more than she would to tell you not to buy designer clothes, if that was your thing. Nor is a 6 per day to eating regime extreme. If your strips are on prescription, she may be on a directive to reduce these. I don't agree with that, but it's such a commonplace issue.

To be honest, your nurse is likely to be following through the practise protocols, so asking to see another nurse could just end up with more of the same. Based on the number of such interactions reported on here, you could have the same experience elsewhere. Now you understand her mantra, I would just prepare differently next time; expecting her disapproval. But, if your results and wellbeing continue to improve there will be little she can do to discourage you, in the light of the hard, factual evidence she has gathered, via the blood tests, and her other measures (weight, BP etc.).

Once those compelling results are on the table, most of us find there is very little talk of diet, testing and the like, and more "keep doing what you're doing".

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And it's well documented that prior to the import of bananas, generations of the population of the British Isles suffered from nutritional deficiencies because of the lack thereof

Conversely, since the introduction of modern day dietry advice, the nation's health has never been better.:rolleyes:

As for the restriction of meters and test strips for Type 2's and the hoop jumping some Type 1's undergo to obtain them, here is a couple of notable quotes:

Quote [QUOTE... self-care hardly seems to be a priority for the NHS. The whole system needs to embrace it, but rarely prioritises it. Medical and nursing staff, both in primary and secondary care, are inconsistent in the messages they give. But it is critical that the whole system takes the messages on board, and it is hardly surprising that many patients feel that they aren’t “allowed” to self-care if the NHS does not repeatedly tell them that it is their body and that it’s more than fine to do so.[/QUOTE] ( Dr. David Haslem commenting on Sir Derek Wanless' Kings Fund Report which contained a section on patient responsibility, and contains the quote :

"We have achieved less, because we have spent very much less, and not spent it well ,

If you are interested, the full report can be found here, but Ye gods, it's long ! :rolleyes:

http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/sites/f...-harrison-darshan-patel-11-september-2007.pdf

Signy

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kellrob,

I think you have to learn to take these kind of attitudes from your health care professional on the chin. Yes that whole conversation would have wound me up no end. but what I have learnt since I took control of my diabetes is that what I am doing now - whether they like it or not - actually works for me. That said, while the DN doesn't agree - my doctor is actually okay with it all - now that he has seen the results. So now when they start up with you should do this, or that - I just say that I have talked it over with the Dr and he is happy with what I am doing... that usually shuts them up.

I agree with what the others have said, as long as your health is improving and you feel good - stick to what works for you. Its your body.

PS: I eat banana's once in a while... but I have them with extra thick double cream with almost no spike... so next time tell her Bananas and Cream is your favorite dish and watch her have a fit!! lol

Reactions: 10 people

Kellrob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for your kind and encouraging comments. Now that ive had time to calm down, i know that i mustnt take it to heart. I know what im doing is to help myself and as long as the results keep going in the right direction i will continue to do what im doing. I will be more prepared next time and just let her have her say and let it wash over me.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, yes. It's the nodding dog technique that gets us through the Spanish Inquisition.
churchill_dog.jpg

Reactions: 13 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not really her fault, she is only doing what she has been trained to do.
It's going to take a good few years before the nurses get up to speed with all the new research.
Follow the advice on the forum and get your readings down.
They tend to listen a bit more then

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
And it's well documented that prior to the import of bananas, generations of the population of the British Isles suffered from nutritional deficiencies because of the lack thereof
Signy

That's it; I'm suffering from severe banana deficiency! Those special 'banana nutrients' unavailable in any other food are forever escaping me. That's why I'm such a miserable sod.

The highest density vitamin in bananas is vitamin B-6 but out of B-6 rich foods the banana comes at a lowly 8th place out of 10

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-vitamin-B6.php

Right off your conversation with your nurse as more nonsense and rejoice in your banana free world!

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 10 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Makes me mad that DSN's and medics just dismiss persons that eat less carbs.
They don't actually even want to consider how reducing carbs can reduce bg's and medication etc.
they never actually listen.
Most private companies if they find a way of working that reaps benefits whether to staff or productivity or even to health etc they at least investigate to see whether it is a viable option long term etc.

Shame on your nurse...

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so sorry that happened. I would have been irritated and wound up too. One of the most important skills that a nurse can have is to listen and ask probing (not offensive) questions without casting judgment. That is how you learn about how your patient lives and treats their illness on a day-to-day basis.

You are on the right track, so stand strong! Although, I would be tempted to see her again with your next (and improved) A1C check and tell her to pound sand.:smug:

M

mrspuddleduck

I have my go diabetic nurse clinic appointment on Thursday and I'm so looking forward to it! If its any consolation I'm LADA but still have to buy my own testing strips etc!........
Oh and I'm allergic to bananas!! . Sue xxx

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just for balance there are some good ones out there - ones who at least try to keep up to date. When I said I had bought myself a monitor she expressed how sorry she was that she couldn't provide the monitor or strips. When I said I ate an apple most days without major increases in blood sugar even though work is sedentary, she said it should be fine - she would worry if I was eating a banana every day whilst working. Whilst she doesn't advocate LCHF, she did say that carbs had to be reduced, we discussed that she was there to support my choices, to advise what cuts to make to my diet. Only at the point where I had cut as much as I could AND my hba1c levels were still high would she start prescribing medication. At my 3 month check she said my numbers were excellent, and whatever I was doing worked for me - so keep up the good work. Yes she says we still need carbs, but she respects my right to investigate and choose my own diet. I therefore respect her enough to be honest.

Reactions: 9 people

ClaireMoz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies for my lack of knowledge but what is LCHF? I am newly diagnosed and learning! I am obviously really lucky, I have an amazing diabetic nurse who provided me with meter and strips and rang me daily for the first week of my diagnosis and always at the end of the phone.

Reactions: 5 people

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low Carb High Fat. Not everyone follows this - but many of us significantly reduce carbs.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Makes me mad that DSN's and medics just dismiss persons that eat less carbs.
They don't actually even want to consider how reducing carbs can reduce bg's and medication etc.
they never actually listen.
Most private companies if they find a way of working that reaps benefits whether to staff or productivity or even to health etc they at least investigate to see whether it is a viable option long term etc.

Shame on your nurse...
This isn't strictly true. Whilst raised eyebrows were received from the dietitian at St Thomas', the DSN And Consultant were happy with the diet... Maybe I just got the enlightened ones... Or maybe I'd mentioned that I knew where my eGFR and Creatanine levels were and my BG and cholesterol results were great so they didn't have a leg to stand on.

Reactions: 7 people