Diabetic Nurse Appointment :(

Kellrob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just for balance there are some good ones out there - ones who at least try to keep up to date. When I said I had bought myself a monitor she expressed how sorry she was that she couldn't provide the monitor or strips. When I said I ate an apple most days without major increases in blood sugar even though work is sedentary, she said it should be fine - she would worry if I was eating a banana every day whilst working. Whilst she doesn't advocate LCHF, she did say that carbs had to be reduced, we discussed that she was there to support my choices, to advise what cuts to make to my diet. Only at the point where I had cut as much as I could AND my hba1c levels were still high would she start prescribing medication. At my 3 month check she said my numbers were excellent, and whatever I was doing worked for me - so keep up the good work. Yes she says we still need carbs, but she respects my right to investigate and choose my own diet. I therefore respect her enough to be honest.
I have had about 4 different diabetic nurses as i have moved alot recently, and they have all been absolutely fantastic. It was just this nurse at my new doctors surgery. Its the first time i have had a heated discussion/argument with a medical professional. I understand that they have certain protocols to follow but even so, to actually argue with me about it goes beyond her comittment to the NHs i think. But, as i say all the doctors and nurses i have dealt with previously have been excellent, maybe ive just been spoilt, LOL ;)

Reactions: 3 people

pil79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and had my first meeting with the 'diabetic' nursee. I asked the Dr for a blood monitor at diagnosis and was told it would just make me depressed! I told the nurse I had invested in one and told her the vastly improving numbers and 3 stone weight loss achieved since starting hflc 3 weeks ago to which she replied "you will just make your fingers sore"! Then told me that the surgery would pay for me to go on weight watchers!!! I told her I would just stick to my crank pot diet :)

I had an operation on an abscess and the surgeon told me not to start metformin just yet. I had a blood test the previous day for glucose then cholesterol and triglycerides. The triglyceride result came back very high (due to my previous bad diet) so she told me that instead of taking one metformin a day for a week then 2 a day I should immediately start taking 2 twice a day!! She hasn't even waited to see my new glucose results! It's so confusing! I'm thinking of waiting to see the results before starting the meds then just following the Dr's initial recommendation for dose. I don't know what to do?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and had my first meeting with the 'diabetic' nursee. I asked the Dr for a blood monitor at diagnosis and was told it would just make me depressed! I told the nurse I had invested in one and told her the vastly improving numbers and 3 stone weight loss achieved since starting hflc 3 weeks ago to which she replied "you will just make your fingers sore"! Then told me that the surgery would pay for me to go on weight watchers!!! I told her I would just stick to my crank pot diet :)

I had an operation on an abscess and the surgeon told me not to start metformin just yet. I had a blood test the previous day for glucose then cholesterol and triglycerides. The triglyceride result came back very high (due to my previous bad diet) so she told me that instead of taking one metformin a day for a week then 2 a day I should immediately start taking 2 twice a day!! She hasn't even waited to see my new glucose results! It's so confusing! I'm thinking of waiting to see the results before starting the meds then just following the Dr's initial recommendation for dose. I don't know what to do?

I would be inclined to contact the GP as there are protocols for taking Metformin - it can cause significant stomach and bowel issues so the dose is usually built up over weeks or even months - I'd certainly be cautious about 2 a day twice a day from off as that is maximum dose.

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Nurse wanted to put me on 2 Metformin a day, I said I would wait until my next reading in June to see if I needed to up the meds. Its up to you, no one can order you what to do - not unless you had a gun to your head.

Reactions: 6 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just don't understand why the dumb ass Nhs fail to see that by allowing us to test in the long run will save a greater amount of money in dealing & medicating for complication. If we can gat control of the condition with whatever diet we use other than the eatwell plate which as time passes only makes the condition worse as we see so many times on here with new members that have followed the eatwell ending up on insulin & such 4-5yrs later. The lower we can get our readings now the longer it should be before further intervention is need if at all.
Wake up & smell the coffee Nhs the proof is in black & white in this forum.

Kellrob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just don't understand why the dumb ass Nhs fail to see that by allowing us to test in the long run will save a greater amount of money in dealing & medicating for complication. If we can gat control of the condition with whatever diet we use other than the eatwell plate which as time passes only makes the condition worse as we see so many times on here with new members that have followed the eatwell ending up on insulin & such 4-5yrs later. The lower we can get our readings now the longer it should be before further intervention is need if at all.
Wake up & smell the coffee Nhs the proof is in black & white in this forum.
I agree, the nurse told me that didnt matter what i did my diabetes was going to get worse anyway due to the fact that part of having diabetes was down to genes which was out of my control anyway! :banghead:

jankel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This isn't strictly true. Whilst raised eyebrows were received from the dietitian at St Thomas', the DSN And Consultant were happy with the diet... Maybe I just got the enlightened ones... Or maybe I'd mentioned that I knew where my eGFR and Creatanine levels were and my BG and cholesterol results were great so they didn't have a leg to stand on.
Snap i changed docs etc ad we moved old nurse told me to test in morning and again tea time im type 2 diagnosed ladt yr new nurse said no nd to tedt etc virtually said exact same as your nurse and i felt the same i was so angry however if i nd to im going to buy my own strips from internet
Well, i had my appointment yesterday with a diabetic nurse at a new Doctors surgery (as i had moved). I have been doing the LCHF for about 6 weeks. I went with all good intentions to discuss my new way of eating etc. I had read on the forum about some of the difficulties other diabetics were having with their diabetic team, but i have never had any problems ever......until NOW!! to be honest i felt slightly intimidated and at a disadvantage. I discussed my new way of eating and although she didnt make too much objections about it, i got a battering regarding testing my blood sugars. I advised her that because of my change in diet i was testing approx 6 times a day (before and after meals), this was so i could monitor the effect that foods were having on my blood sugar so i could adapt and make changes as necessary. i was told this was far too much and that the test strips were extremely expensive and a drain on NHS funds! she told me that the 6 month check at the diabetic clinic was more than enough to monitor my blood sugar and anyway if my reading started to get higher then they would increase my medication!!! WHAT???? stupid woman!!! i tried to explain that surely by my monitoring on a daily basis to keep my blood sugars within range helps my 6 monthly test results which in turn helps me in the long term? it was like banging my head against a brick wall!! i know it shouldnt have wound me up as much as it has but i cant believe how stubborn she was about it. she asked me to give her an example of a food that i had found to spike my bloods and i told her bananas. she asked what do i then do, stop eating that food, i said yes. she told me outright that i should not stop eating bananas as they had other good nutrients that i am missing out on. i told her i wasnt going to start eating bananas again just because she told me to. she said that i am at risk of not getting enough variety in my diet. i did explain that i do eat other fruits and i feel im a getting a good variety in my diet. What a complete wind up she was. Im seriously thinking of changing my doctors purely so i dont have to see her again, am i over reacting.? sorry for the rant[/QUOTE]
Funny enough I just changed docs cos we moved I

Reactions: 6 people

Kellrob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Snap i changed docs etc ad we moved old nurse told me to test in morning and again tea time im type 2 diagnosed ladt yr new nurse said no nd to tedt etc virtually said exact same as your nurse and i felt the same i was so angry however if i nd to im going to buy my own strips from internet
Well, i had my appointment yesterday with a diabetic nurse at a new Doctors surgery (as i had moved). I have been doing the LCHF for about 6 weeks. I went with all good intentions to discuss my new way of eating etc. I had read on the forum about some of the difficulties other diabetics were having with their diabetic team, but i have never had any problems ever......until NOW!! to be honest i felt slightly intimidated and at a disadvantage. I discussed my new way of eating and although she didnt make too much objections about it, i got a battering regarding testing my blood sugars. I advised her that because of my change in diet i was testing approx 6 times a day (before and after meals), this was so i could monitor the effect that foods were having on my blood sugar so i could adapt and make changes as necessary. i was told this was far too much and that the test strips were extremely expensive and a drain on NHS funds! she told me that the 6 month check at the diabetic clinic was more than enough to monitor my blood sugar and anyway if my reading started to get higher then they would increase my medication!!! WHAT???? stupid woman!!! i tried to explain that surely by my monitoring on a daily basis to keep my blood sugars within range helps my 6 monthly test results which in turn helps me in the long term? it was like banging my head against a brick wall!! i know it shouldnt have wound me up as much as it has but i cant believe how stubborn she was about it. she asked me to give her an example of a food that i had found to spike my bloods and i told her bananas. she asked what do i then do, stop eating that food, i said yes. she told me outright that i should not stop eating bananas as they had other good nutrients that i am missing out on. i told her i wasnt going to start eating bananas again just because she told me to. she said that i am at risk of not getting enough variety in my diet. i did explain that i do eat other fruits and i feel im a getting a good variety in my diet. What a complete wind up she was. Im seriously thinking of changing my doctors purely so i dont have to see her again, am i over reacting.? sorry for the rant
Funny enough I just changed docs cos we moved I[/QUOTE]
I will also buy my strips if they stop me getting them on prescription. Ive got too much to lose to start ignoring my diabetes which is practically what they want you to do. I need to take control of the situation as much as i can if i want to beat this. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree, the nurse told me that didnt matter what i did my diabetes was going to get worse anyway due to the fact that part of having diabetes was down to genes which was out of my control anyway! :banghead:
Yes it may get worse over time but the loss strain put on the pancreas the the less chance of an earlier brake down, it's like if you have a problem with your car the less strain put on the problem the longer b4 it goes completely. It may even be a case that if the pancreas is not over worked, which it is on the eatwell then some repair may take place from the better cell building foods consumed.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Funny enough I just changed docs cos we moved I
I will also buy my strips if they stop me getting them on prescription. Ive got too much to lose to start ignoring my diabetes which is practically what they want you to do. I need to take control of the situation as much as i can if i want to beat this. :)[/QUOTE]
They they are the ones that don't have to suffer the complications, but moan about the increasing costs to the Nhs because more people are suffering.
Wonder what they would be like if it was them.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Well, i had my appointment yesterday with a diabetic nurse at a new Doctors surgery (as i had moved). I have been doing the LCHF for about 6 weeks. I went with all good intentions to discuss my new way of eating etc. I had read on the forum about some of the difficulties other diabetics were having with their diabetic team, but i have never had any problems ever......until NOW!! to be honest i felt slightly intimidated and at a disadvantage. I discussed my new way of eating and although she didnt make too much objections about it, i got a battering regarding testing my blood sugars. I advised her that because of my change in diet i was testing approx 6 times a day (before and after meals), this was so i could monitor the effect that foods were having on my blood sugar so i could adapt and make changes as necessary. i was told this was far too much and that the test strips were extremely expensive and a drain on NHS funds! she told me that the 6 month check at the diabetic clinic was more than enough to monitor my blood sugar and anyway if my reading started to get higher then they would increase my medication!!! WHAT???? stupid woman!!! i tried to explain that surely by my monitoring on a daily basis to keep my blood sugars within range helps my 6 monthly test results which in turn helps me in the long term? it was like banging my head against a brick wall!! i know it shouldnt have wound me up as much as it has but i cant believe how stubborn she was about it. she asked me to give her an example of a food that i had found to spike my bloods and i told her bananas. she asked what do i then do, stop eating that food, i said yes. she told me outright that i should not stop eating bananas as they had other good nutrients that i am missing out on. i told her i wasnt going to start eating bananas again just because she told me to. she said that i am at risk of not getting enough variety in my diet. i did explain that i do eat other fruits and i feel im a getting a good variety in my diet. What a complete wind up she was. Im seriously thinking of changing my doctors purely so i dont have to see her again, am i over reacting.? sorry for the rant
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I had the same problem as you,I only see the nurse for my results now,she is not a diabetic nurse,but the only nurse at my surgery,and to be honest she hasnt a clue,I dont get in conversation,I have never seen a Dr with my diabetes.I am so glad I joined the forum or I would have been on more medication by now,I bought my meter and strips,
All the best stay with the forum.

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I told my dn that without me buying my own meter it would cost the NHS more in diabetes meds and anti - depressants. That their current policy is short - sighted, she agrees with me but her hands are tied. For a control freak like me - I need to be able to test, reassurance and confirmation of what I am doing.