Lucozade for hypo correction

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm certain that many of you including myself drink Lucozade, but I've just discovered that the fruit flavoured varieties are different from the original. The fruit ones contain glucose/fructose syrup, whereas the original has only glucose syrup. What this means is that you need approx. twice the volume of fruit Lucozade, compared to original to treat a hypo. It also means that you are taking on additional useless calories in the fructose, excess of which is converted to fat in the liver.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm certain that many of you including myself drink Lucozade, but I've just discovered that the fruit flavoured varieties are different from the original. The fruit ones contain glucose/fructose syrup, whereas the original has only glucose syrup. What this means is that you need approx. twice the volume of fruit Lucozade, compared to original to treat a hypo. It also means that you are taking on additional useless calories in the fructose, excess of which is converted to fat in the liver.
Just count the carbs and be done with it a 380mml bottle contains 67 carbs so drink 1/4 of the bottle for approx. 16 carbs. That's your hypo treated and done with. This was taken from the orange flavour local shop glucose drink.

Reactions: 4 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I don't mess about when I'm hypo. No Steven Hawkin mathematics.

I gulp down about third of a standard bottle lucozade (fruit or original and ten, fifteen minutes later I'm done)

A few useless extra carbs here or there never comes into the equation for me. When low I get it up quick as with no algebra, no hypotenuse and no big bang theory !

Reactions: 8 people

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The original is better as it only contains glucose. The reason for this, is that a full 380ml bottle of original is used for the standard glucose/tolerance test.. All I am pointing out is why consume excess calories in the form of fructose when it can be avoided? There are many nutrionists that blame the introduction of high fructose corn syrup as a primary reason for the obesity epidemic. The liver can only convert small amounts of fructose to glucose, the remainder is stored as fat.

Reactions: 3 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Granted and I agree the original is probably technically the better taking into account what it actuals has in it but personally for me I don't think it will make too much difference unless I'm having hypo after hypo and drinking gallons of the stuff.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I go for the jelly babies. Easy to carry and you don't waste most of a bottle. But I don't get many hypos. Never worry about calories when treating a hypo.other things to worry about

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have 3 haribo maomi pinballs. They stay perfect in the car no matter what the heat. Perfect in handbag (sorry guys) and have them in container by bed too. They are so delicious they have been the only hypo stopper that I absolutely love to eat. Yummmmm......got to try n stop at 3 though. Can't have jelly babies, hate cold fizzy drinks.

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my case I mainly use Lucozade as BG raiser between main meals rather than actual hypo treatment, as I don't want or need the extra calories in biscuits and other snack foods.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just don't like the taste of the original Lucozade so stick with the orange flavoured. Works fine for my hypos.

Jeannie87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told by my very well informed DSN to use a 150 ml can of "real" coke, not diet coke obviously. This works extremely well for me without raising the blood sugar to horrible highs for hours afterwards, like Lucozade used to. But again what works for one diabetic, doesn't always work for another. My early morning blood sugar yesterday was 4.8, I didn't fancy coke that early, so I ate 3 dextrose tablets fruit flavoured, which brought it back to 7.8.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My early morning blood sugar yesterday was 4.8, I didn't fancy coke that early, so I ate 3 dextrose tablets fruit flavoured, which brought it back to 7.8.
emoji1.png
emoji106.png
Why did you correct @ 4.8? 4.8 is a normal reading and 7.8 is almost 3 points above what it should be. Very confused I am.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A rich tea biscuit and a cup of tea, then a low carb meal when I feel better.

No hyper to spike me, so no hypo again.

Unless an emergency, for control for T2s, I personally wouldn't recommend glucose in any form!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Never drink Lucozade, too sweet and I just don't like the taste. Was given it once in a supermarket, as I had a bad hypo. They let me keep what was in left the bottle when I went home and it then went down the toilet. I know many drink it but, no, I don't drink it.:yuck:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
If in my car - I use glucose tablets to nudge any low BG upwards .
Like to keep over 5.5 whilst I drive .

In bed - I again use glucose tablets or 1/3rd of original or orange lucozade .
If am walking my two doggies or am out shopping - I carry a kiddies bag of jelly babies .
They are great to have on me - for the just in case hypo moment(s)

Plus I do have a medical alert Diabetic reference wrist tattoo with worry free
alerting piece of mind .

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Lucozade is the worst way to teat low bg, it has 0% nutritional value and increases your carbohydrate addiction. Fresh orange juice is a far better option with its antioxidants and vitamin C.