Taking pump on beach holiday

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This year I am going to Majorca in August. I have never been on a beach type holiday before and am trying to get organised. For those more in the know about these things should I take anything to keep my pump cool? I will be sitting by the pool while my hubby and son swim loads. We will also be walking around the local nature reserve and shops. I am told Majorca is very hot in August.

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very jealous of your holiday majorca is lovely! And yes very hot in August. I haven't got my pump yet so cannot give advice on wearing it etc but to travel around I would get a frio bag to keep spare insulin cool. You soak them in water and the gel inside them expands. I have used them for insulin pens traveling to places as hot as thailand and had no problem with insulin going off etc
Have fun!

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I live in Turkey (ten years +) so it can go over 40 degrees C in the summer but I've only had my pump for three months so I have no experience of hot temps with it yet. I have been told to keep the pump out of direct sunlight. So I guess if you are sunbathing, the pump should be in the shade. I use Novorapid with mine, and that seems to be pretty stable. But I only load my pump with three days' supply at a time. Previously, I used Novorapid pens and one would last me about ten days. I used to carry them round in my bag and they didn't deteriorate. So, no direct sunlight, but fairly high ambient temperatures. (Lantus seemed pretty unstable to me in pre-pump days, though, so I don't recommend switching to MDI for your holiday period).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This year I am going to Majorca in August. I have never been on a beach type holiday before and am trying to get organised. For those more in the know about these things should I take anything to keep my pump cool? I will be sitting by the pool while my hubby and son swim loads. We will also be walking around the local nature reserve and shops. I am told Majorca is very hot in August.

Hey, I worried about going on holiday with my pump but didn't have a single problem! Didn't do anything special with it just kept it out of the shade, obviously it was on my body so it got quite hot. Still took MDI's on the holiday 'just in case' but didn't need to use them at all :) x

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I put my pump into the dark drawstring pouch that my sunglasses came in when I was sitting in the sun to shade the screen from direct sun, I also got some cannulas with long tubing so I could put my pump under the sun bed inside a dark bag. My pump was fine.

I hope you have a great beach holiday :), I learnt some handy German diabetic phrases from a nurse who was fascinated by my pump sitting beside a Majorcan swimming pool.

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I never do anything special and never had any problem. And I go to very hot places.

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't sunbathe or swim with my pump on even though it is waterproof, but I don't like to lie in the sun for more than a couple of hours at a time.
I disconnect my pump and just reconnect to give myself missing basals and food boluses as necessary. I find I am ok without pump on for a couple of hours if swimming. Use skin tac wipes to make sets more sticky if swimming often.
Only thing I need to do is reduce my basals for the first couple of days in hot countries and after that it seems to sort itself out!
I spend time on a boat where there isn't a proper fridge and even in 40c my insulin is fine in a frio pack for a couple of weeks.

shelleyh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I travelled to Cancun last October but changed back to multiple daily injections for the week before and the 7 day holiday. The reason I did this was the Frio bag feels damp against your skin and is quite obvious especially in a bikini on the beach. Also I was concerned that the insulin would get too warm even when placed under a towel or T Shirt. There were some cons to changing back to MDI, time difference and it was more difficult to get good control over my blood sugars but I could swim when I liked, how I liked and wear a bikini without too much covering up.

The year before we travelled to Florida and I wore my pump. I was swabbed by Security at Gatwick Airport just to check I was carrying insulin which was a bit embarrassing for me as other passengers stared as if I was trying to smuggle something illegal or dangerous on board. On arrival in Orlando I just adjusted my clock on the pump and that was it! No counting hours back and trying to work out whether I should eat breakfast or dinner. A major plus. I disconnected my pump at the water park to join my family on the rides. That left the cannula and sticky pad on show on my stomach ( I use Sure-T sets) I noticed people looking at the set and smiling in what seemed like sympathy for me. I didn't like that at all and it made me quite conscious.

Summing up there are pros and cons, I hope I have outlined what mine were for consideration. I am returning to Cancun this year and will go back onto MDI's as they are more convenient for my lifestyle in hot temperatures.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for your replies - they are giving me lots to think about!

Although not overweight I am quite body shy so no bikini for me. I will go swimming a little bit in a full swimsuit and when we went to Centre Parcs I disconnected pump and left it in locker. Not an option with this holiday though and I would be worried about leaving it at the poolside in case it got stolen. Not sure how I'll work this yet - I suppose it also depends how far from the pool our room is.

MDI not really an option for me as my son has special needs so I can't afford to be messing about with injections and extra blood testing. I would much prefer to stay on pump as it's so much more flexible.

Interesting the frio feels damp though - hadn't considered that. Do you all take the frio flat and activate it when you get to your hotel?

shelleyh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Frio bag took a while to dry out after using. If you were using it every day I would imagine it would feel damp constantly. To be honest I wasn't overly impressed. It seemed fine to carry supplies of insulin while travelling but took 24 hours to dry out. I would then re activate it when I needed to use it. I would buy one, the most discreet one you can find that will fit your pump and then try it for a day. You may get on with it and for £10 for the smallest Frio it would be worth a go before you travelled.

Reactions: 3 people

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I didn't keep my pump in a frio bag. Only my spare supplies. I did find it got a bit smelly when using so always have to buy a new one each year.
Insulin in pump was fine for 2 weeks at 40 degrees.

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, all your info has been really useful. Am going to the Dom Rep in 3 weeks and really nervous. Been pumping just over a year. went to Spain in September for a long weekend but felt 'safe' as home was a bit nearer. Daft, I know, but still played on my mind. Ordered a Frio wallet today. Hoping all will be ok. Amazing how quick you forget the MDI routine............

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You will be fine @kazC I've had my pump just over a year too & when I went away last year it was fine every time, I still take a ridiculous amount of spare everything, but I just like to be prepared lol

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You will be fine @kazC I've had my pump just over a year too & when I went away last year it was fine every time, I still take a ridiculous amount of spare everything, but I just like to be prepared lol

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Used my pump in Greece, Rome and USA most recently (eek) and all fine. I always clip it to my shorts, skirt etc in the day and even in big heat it seems fine. I have posted this before, but as a reminder, Medtronic do not support keeping the pump in a frio as they wrote to me saying the dampness could damage the pump. Of course, it may be different with their new waterproof pump that has just been released in the UK.
I find the frios are great for the spare insulin pens and vials. On the beach I tuck my pump to the side of me and cover with a Tshirt when on a sunbed and take it off and wrap it a Tshirt when swimming. I always rinse the canulla site with fresh water when I get out as someone once told me that the salt deposits may get into it (I don't know but I do it anyway to be safe). Medtrnoic issue spare holiday pumps so I always make sure I've ordered one in good time for a 2 week holiday abroad. I always get worked up but everything is always fine so you'll have no problems either I'm sure.