Another one

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Hello I'm Janie another person diagnosed with type 2 - got the results Friday and since then I've been pretty down.

I'm not on tablets yet as I'm 7.1 what ever that means however nurse is reviewing me in three months time to see how I'm getting on re diet and excercise and a decision will be made then as to what they do with me.

Major problem is pushing myself to excercise as I'm just so shattered and thirsty all the time that I cant motivate myself.

I'm also in a band as well and am finding it difficult to basically stay awake after doing a gig - any tips would be wonderful thanks .

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
hi janieb and welcome to the forum its all a bit daunting at the start but sooner than you think things will fall into place .drink plenty of water and you dont have to become a fitness fanatic,start off lightly walk a bit extra ,i bring an ipod it makes it easier,if you have any specific questions just ask and also giving a little bit more information about yourself helps also as regards what you eat also at the start i was very tired when my sugar levels were high but that settled down too best of luck dermot

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Janieb
If you feel you want to try it,Reduce your carbs. Drop sugar completelly and anything with sugar in( natural as well as added) Reduce your portions of bread, potatoes, pasta and rice. Get yourself a blood glucose meter. If you check your own blood, you'll see the numbers coming down quickly on low carb. Don't worry about eating fats, they aren't important to diabetics. 7.1. If it's an Hb A1c result or a simple blood glucose result, isn't dramatic. You could be at a stage where you can reverse T2 with diet. Not Cure, just neutralise. If you try reduced carbs, you should find you have a lot more energy. Enough to get to the gym. in the meantime, walk as much as you can. Up stairs, to the next bus stop . to the shops, whereever :D
Collins Little Gem Calorie counter will show you where carbs are lurking. It's tiny enough to fit in a handbag and costs under £5

ChocFish

Awww Janie, welcome to the forum

You have already been given good advice here, everyone feels like you do when first diagnosed, its such a shock and you feel so rotten, both physically and emotionally (you can read about my battle in the Success Stories thread), read the stickies and success stories too, but dont panic and dont try everything at once, just take it gentle, be good to yourself, you know some people manage their diabetes by going low carb, this worked for me, but some people swear by just reducing carbs in their diet or doing a low GI diet, what I am saying here is that there are different methods of keeping control of your bg levels, no hard and fast rules there and eventually you will find out what works best for you, we might all be diabetic but we are still individuals.

I know its hard to push yourself to do exercise when you just feel like crawling away, going to sleep and waking up feeling all good and happy again. But believe me you will begin to feel better and be well again and you will feel so confident too once you have your bg under control and learnt more about diabetes, you wont feel so confused and helpless any more.

Dont push yourself because this or any stress can actually raise your bg, so just do the things that you do now and remember that even fidgeting, even twiddling your toes and your fingers and gently waving your arms around helps circulation and is a form of gentle exercise too, it all counts you know, just as a start.

Have you been given a blood glucose meter? What are your readings like? Testing is very important because this way you learn how all the different foods affect your bg, its really very interesting, I promise you that once you have your bg steady and withing near non-diabetic levels you will feel much better and fitter again.

Dont be harsh on yourself, it is very often trial and error, I have made some mistakes I can tell you, I was going low carb, all well and good but did not know so much about it back then, I went to a pub and was so proud of myself for sticking to orange juice and coca cola all night, and I just could not quench that raging thirst and was peeing for the nation, I couldnt understand it, only when someone pointed out that cola and orange juice contain loads of sugar, DUH

Come back here and ask lots of questions, dont be scared of everything, many of us have been diabetic for years and all of us here, no matter how long we have been diabetic will offer support, encouragement and advice.

All the best

Karen x

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Thanks everybody - I must admit to still feeling very down and finding it all daunting but good to know that theres support here.

Went out walking with the dogs yesterday during lunch and been on the x trainer today mind you only for ten minutes which is slightly perfetic but its better than nothing.
Hope you're right re excercise as I am very very tired.

I'll check out the other blogs - thanks.

Janieb

Dislikes
Re: Another one - my progress

Well, I've been keeping a diary of what I've been eating and the excercise I've been doing.
I think I've managed to narrow down some of the foods that make me feel sluggish and weird.

Have now lost 3.5 cms off my waist line and have gone from a size 22/24 to virtually a 20, so very pleased. Also did a 4K fast paced walk in 50 minutes yesterday so pretty pleased as thats good for me seeing as I suffer from swollen ankles and water retention.

All in all, feeling much better, so much more alert at work that I'm not behind in my work any more and I just feel brighter.

Got my next appointment with the Diabetes nurse end of August so really hope that everything goes well.
:D

BTW ever this forum has been great for me - so many wonderfully helpful people thanks alot.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
congratulations Janie!