Palingwick house please read

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there Gollymax, I Was at Palingswick from 1962-67 and there were about 50 of us in all. I remember Dougie Soden, Peter Smith, Anton Vroom and many others. Staff I remember were Sister Connors, Tom Warburton, Tony Cordani, Mr and Mrs Otterburn and Mr Niemeyer and of course Miss Wilson. I can honestly say that had i not gone there I would probably not be around now. As it is I have been married 40yrs have two grown up daughters and two Grand-children. I remember palingswick fondly for the most part. The backyard soccer pich(of sorts) with steps to house as one goal and a painted goalpost on the rear wall. Dougie and I also painted the lines for the tennis court there. Do you remember the ear rubbing before a blood test taken with a pippette? Acetone tests using ammonia? Those were the days :D :D

julian_n

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have just come across this thread whilst researching Palingswick House so am adding a few somewhat late thoughts that may trigger more memories for some.

My name is Julian Niemeyer and my father was Warden at PH from 1965 to 1970 before moving to a school in Suffolk. My parents did keep in touch with various staff and pupils - so I will share what I know.

My father is 83 and living in France. My mother died 7 years ago. Tony Cordani lived with his mother in Wales and died in his 80s about 12 years ago. Marion Gibb (a matron) went back to Scotland. Peggy Martin, who worked in PH office, left after my parents and then worked with them in Suffolk before retiring to Cornwall where she died this September. Her husband Reggie who worked as part-time handyman / projectionist is still alive - 101 or 102 now.

Other names I remember are Eileen Harris (a cook) who used to give me old pennies she got in her bus fare change; Sister Connors (or course!), Dr Stuart Carne. I remember a TV film crew recording an episode of something with Dr Carne at PH - with different pupils having to pretending to have different conditions - and everyone watching when it was screened to see who made it through to stardom (I didn't - apparently I was too preoccupied with my sister watching me undress).

Of the pupils, the person closes to me in age who I played with was Paul Oaten - I seem to recall once taking him to Paddington for a train to Cornwall - or at least the south west. Joey and Barnaby (?) were my sister's age. Everyone else I recall was older.

I remember Anton Vroom taking me to the ABC Cinema in King Street several weekends - and as I recall he used to go to "The Shed" at Chelsea - but I was never allowed.

Either Paul Gillingham (paulg in above posts?) or Kevin Gregory I remember at the BDA Camp at Blythburgh digging the latrine pits for the elsan chemical toilets - and one of them I recall was in a canoe on the River Blyth and capsized it with June Attle (who looked after me) in it. She is now retired, also in Suffolk and is widowed. The last I heard Peter Booley had retired from being Headmaster at a school in Halesworth. The camp at Witsun was fun - tents and caravans, visits to Suffolk Show, Beccles open-air swimming pool, Lowestoft Fish Market. And all in those BMC Mini-buses given by the Variety Club.

I remember my first tetanus vaccines - and I was given it at the same time as everyone else. I remember having seen the needles being scared and told to pull myself together as I only had to do it once whereas the pupils had to do it every day. I was full of admiration for those who had to inject. And as I recall those were large reuseable needles that had to be sterilised too - not modern fine needles. I still hate needles to this day!

The woodwork room was above a gym on Weltje Road. I never recall the gym being used - but Dad did the woodwork and I remember a Scalextric set in adjacent room.

I cannot remember who, but someone told me that Lord Weltje was bricked up in the cellars by the boiler room - and he now haunted the place. I was scared to go down there alone for months after. The name Kathleen Gallagher / Granagher rings a bell - I also seem to recall her being hit by a car in Weltje Road - sorry Kathleen if you are reading this and it wasn't you!!!!.

I did find a few photos and other memories when I cleared out my mother's house after she died. I have kept them - but in storage so not easily accessible (I am abroad) - but if anyone is interested, when I do find them I will post them somewhere. I am seeing June this weekend - and I know she has some photos of that era - so can scan them if anyone is interested - although not sure where to post them.

I will close now. Not sure what the rules here are about PMs - but I am registered on here with my proper FB / e-mail address so should receive messages.

Laffy

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi there - I've just found this forum as I was looking for references to Palingswick House. I worked there in 1964 (Sister Laffineur - don't suppose anyone will remember!) I do remember Mr & Mrs Otterburn of course, and remember some of the children's names - Karen Judge, Andrew Leach, Andrew Baranoskos (sp?) Roger Bunce, Paul Gillingham - and many more I can't put names to just now........50 years takes a bit of a toll on the little grey cells......
I enjoyed my short stay with you and would like to think everyone benefitted from their time there and went on to greater things - and I thank you for being such a pleasure to work with & care for.

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there - I've just found this forum as I was looking for references to Palingswick House. I worked there in 1964 (Sister Laffineur - don't suppose anyone will remember!) I do remember Mr & Mrs Otterburn of course, and remember some of the children's names - Karen Judge, Andrew Leach, Andrew Baranoskos (sp?) Roger Bunce, Paul Gillingham - and many more I can't put names to just now........50 years takes a bit of a toll on the little grey cells......
I enjoyed my short stay with you and would like to think everyone benefitted from their time there and went on to greater things - and I thank you for being such a pleasure to work with & care for.
Hi Sister Laffy
It has taken so long to hear from ex staff of Palingswick House. I have to say that it is only when you have left there that you realise how much being there did to help one first accept diabetes and then control it. I left in June 1967 and went to work as an apprentice at Shepperton Studios. Do you remember Mr Evans the vicar at St Peter's Church? In 1972 I married Lynne and he came over from Chiswick to Bexleyhesth to marry us. It has lasted too and we celebrate our 43rd anniversary in November. I do a lot ov voluntary work now for Diabetes UK and also have advice and help stands at our local hospitals and health centre to give something back. I have been on a pump for the last 15 months and would never go back on MDI. I still love my football and music especially Leyton Orient and The Hollies. Sadly not all friends from PH are still with us but I for one have no intention of popping my clogs yet. I keep in touch with Kevin Baum from back then. I owe Palingswick House my life as I would probably not be here now if I hadn't been there. Thank you sister for all you and the rest of the staff especially Sister Connors and Miss Wilson did for us

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have just come across this thread whilst researching Palingswick House so am adding a few somewhat late thoughts that may trigger more memories for some.

My name is Julian Niemeyer and my father was Warden at PH from 1965 to 1970 before moving to a school in Suffolk. My parents did keep in touch with various staff and pupils - so I will share what I know.

My father is 83 and living in France. My mother died 7 years ago. Tony Cordani lived with his mother in Wales and died in his 80s about 12 years ago. Marion Gibb (a matron) went back to Scotland. Peggy Martin, who worked in PH office, left after my parents and then worked with them in Suffolk before retiring to Cornwall where she died this September. Her husband Reggie who worked as part-time handyman / projectionist is still alive - 101 or 102 now.

Other names I remember are Eileen Harris (a cook) who used to give me old pennies she got in her bus fare change; Sister Connors (or course!), Dr Stuart Carne. I remember a TV film crew recording an episode of something with Dr Carne at PH - with different pupils having to pretending to have different conditions - and everyone watching when it was screened to see who made it through to stardom (I didn't - apparently I was too preoccupied with my sister watching me undress).

Of the pupils, the person closes to me in age who I played with was Paul Oaten - I seem to recall once taking him to Paddington for a train to Cornwall - or at least the south west. Joey and Barnaby (?) were my sister's age. Everyone else I recall was older.

I remember Anton Vroom taking me to the ABC Cinema in King Street several weekends - and as I recall he used to go to "The Shed" at Chelsea - but I was never allowed.

Either Paul Gillingham (paulg in above posts?) or Kevin Gregory I remember at the BDA Camp at Blythburgh digging the latrine pits for the elsan chemical toilets - and one of them I recall was in a canoe on the River Blyth and capsized it with June Attle (who looked after me) in it. She is now retired, also in Suffolk and is widowed. The last I heard Peter Booley had retired from being Headmaster at a school in Halesworth. The camp at Witsun was fun - tents and caravans, visits to Suffolk Show, Beccles open-air swimming pool, Lowestoft Fish Market. And all in those BMC Mini-buses given by the Variety Club.

I remember my first tetanus vaccines - and I was given it at the same time as everyone else. I remember having seen the needles being scared and told to pull myself together as I only had to do it once whereas the pupils had to do it every day. I was full of admiration for those who had to inject. And as I recall those were large reuseable needles that had to be sterilised too - not modern fine needles. I still hate needles to this day!

The woodwork room was above a gym on Weltje Road. I never recall the gym being used - but Dad did the woodwork and I remember a Scalextric set in adjacent room.

I cannot remember who, but someone told me that Lord Weltje was bricked up in the cellars by the boiler room - and he now haunted the place. I was scared to go down there alone for months after. The name Kathleen Gallagher / Granagher rings a bell - I also seem to recall her being hit by a car in Weltje Road - sorry Kathleen if you are reading this and it wasn't you!!!!.

I did find a few photos and other memories when I cleared out my mother's house after she died. I have kept them - but in storage so not easily accessible (I am abroad) - but if anyone is interested, when I do find them I will post them somewhere. I am seeing June this weekend - and I know she has some photos of that era - so can scan them if anyone is interested - although not sure where to post them.

I will close now. Not sure what the rules here are about PMs - but I am registered on here with my proper FB / e-mail address so should receive messages.
Hi Julien,
Wow now there is a surprise I did not expect to be reading a post from anymore contacts from my Palingswick days. I hope you are in good health. I am fine retired now but doing voluntary work for Diabetes UK as much as possible. Was sorry to hear your Mum had passed away. How is your Dad? He had a difficult job when he took over from Mr Otterburn as his were big shoes to step into. Personally both he and your Mum were so helpful to me because of the difficult times I had at home. I remember staying at PH for some school holidays as home was not a good place to be. All the staff were so supportive. Palingswick will always have a big part in my life as apart from teaching us to control our Diabetes and accept it living with other diabetics and going to different schools in the borough made me realise I was not the only one who had this complaint called diabetes. I went to Christopher Wren School. and PH was home.
Great to hear from you.

gollymax

Dislikes
frogs, snakes, snails, football, rugby, diabetes and all the problems that go with it
Hi Julien,
Wow now there is a surprise I did not expect to be reading a post from anymore contacts from my Palingswick days. I hope you are in good health. I am fine retired now but doing voluntary work for Diabetes UK as much as possible. Was sorry to hear your Mum had passed away. How is your Dad? He had a difficult job when he took over from Mr Otterburn as his were big shoes to step into. Personally both he and your Mum were so helpful to me because of the difficult times I had at home. I remember staying at PH for some school holidays as home was not a good place to be. All the staff were so supportive. Palingswick will always have a big part in my life as apart from teaching us to control our Diabetes and accept it living with other diabetics and going to different schools in the borough made me realise I was not the only one who had this complaint called diabetes. I went to Christopher Wren School. and PH was home.
Great to hear from you.

gollymax

Dislikes
frogs, snakes, snails, football, rugby, diabetes and all the problems that go with it
Hi Juilen I remember yourself your sister and of course mum and dad very well, you mention Paul oaten he was in my dormitory I also remember the BDA camp and a guy who I can't remember but wore no shoes. I remember Marion and Emily and the cook in the kitchen who always gave me lumps of cheese when I was hungry and remember her being very large. It would be so nice if we could get some of the others together if we could find them and have a reunion I was at PH from 1963-68 it is so nice that you have poped up on this forum I started many years ago my email is [email protected]

Laffy

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
well what a great news
and a brilliant news on ph i am in my 70 s and loved those names i can remember going to hampstead heath .
an old victorian terraced place and helping to do up the rooms on a saturday morning not sure who the teacher was he had and old sunbeam talbot open top and 3/4 of us helped him do up the old place ,
you are right about the the cellars lots of them we did take turns to do the washing up after meals big basket to put all the crockery in and it was very hot to handle .also we did as far as i remember had loads of cheese to eat if we got hungry
still in touch with phillips sister whom is now 80 phil died from a diabetic blackout will drive his dads pick up crashed in to thriver kim at kimbolton was only found the 24 hours after in the river only been married 2 years sad good pal
i live near bury st edmunds in suffolk my wife and 2 sons manlike to see the photos will send you an e mail link if you get this regards vic hill 57 now on a pump 9 years take care

Oh yes, Vic - I remember dishing out wads of cheese! I can hear now a lad called Roger Bunce asking me for some, but I thought he'd said,"can I have some Chewies" (sweeties in tubes as I remember) and said, Chewies? I don't think so! "No", he said, "I said CHEESE......" Ooops, silly me.... hurried off to fetch him some.. Why do I remember that from 50 - count 'em - 50 years ago....?

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Juilen I remember yourself your sister and of course mum and dad very well, you mention Paul oaten he was in my dormitory I also remember the BDA camp and a guy who I can't remember but wore no shoes. I remember Marion and Emily and the cook in the kitchen who always gave me lumps of cheese when I was hungry and remember her being very large. It would be so nice if we could get some of the others together if we could find them and have a reunion I was at PH from 1963-68 it is so nice that you have poped up on this forum I started many years ago my email is [email protected]
golly max just seen your post
i getting the grey cells working i think i left in 1963 april what a fun place digging tunnels filling them in the big bedroom 6/8 beds at one time lots of crystal sets wired to get radio stations.
i was at addison sec modern school at shepherds bush and the first year i think trolleys buses ran up and down king street
very bad smogs as well still 60 years on how well did they do to live this long vic hill

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there Gollymax, I Was at Palingswick from 1962-67 and there were about 50 of us in all. I remember Dougie Soden, Peter Smith, Anton Vroom and many others. Staff I remember were Sister Connors, Tom Warburton, Tony Cordani, Mr and Mrs Otterburn and Mr Niemeyer and of course Miss Wilson. I can honestly say that had i not gone there I would probably not be around now. As it is I have been married 40yrs have two grown up daughters and two Grand-children. I remember palingswick fondly for the most part. The backyard soccer pich(of sorts) with steps to house as one goal and a painted goalpost on the rear wall. Dougie and I also painted the lines for the tennis court there. Do you remember the ear rubbing before a blood test taken with a pippette? Acetone tests using ammonia? Those were the days :D :D
all those names i do remember also one lad was coloured inky johnson think he came from johasburgh , also a lad with leg irons think he attended stoke mandvilla the soil in the back yard was used to build dens the old type of urine test 5 drops of urine and ten drops of water colour blue was good orange was bad.
do you remember one of the wardens had a sunbeam talbot car and done up a flat in ham stead heath
my name was vic hill nickname bucket
poss 1958 to 1962

julian_n

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just a quick update - my Father, Bill Niemeyer, died last Wednesday (24th July) at his home in France aged 87.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a quick update - my Father, Bill Niemeyer, died last Wednesday (24th July) at his home in France aged 87.

I am sorry. It sounds like he made a bit difference to the lives of the children in his care, and will be remembered fondly.

julian_n

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been working through Dad's paperwork and found a few photos that may kindle some memories.

I have placed them on flickr - but this site blocks the link - so if someone can tell me how to post the link that would be helpful.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Struma

ed6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
well brilliant to see a report on ph..
i was at the home jan 1958 to 1961 all the names can just about remember ,
i used to to go to addison sec modern school in shepards bush
can remember the smog and trolly bus up kings street , and walking via the railway with small traders and sheds
school sports on richmond common going in full football gear and on cross country run because the ground was to hard for footy ,and going across a stream in full flood with only a rope to hold on
at school mr jennings head mr wells used to wear a watch and chain
any one remember the strike on washing up duty put 3 beds across the bedroom to close the doors but we gave in and had six of the best in pyjamas ouch
also we had crystal sets in the bedrooms to listen to radio luxenburgh
some names phillip parrot. crighton emery inky jonhson jamaca lad who had leg irons, mrs watson mr wharburton
mr mrs otterburn charge of home
remember the washing up and how to make bed up great fun home sick but great ....
vic hill suffolk 59 years type 1 transplant kidney eyes laser
thanks ph and NHS :wave:
Hi .
My husband David Hendon was at PH. from approx 1953 t0 1959, He attended Addison school where he passed his 11 plus going to Wandsworth Grammer School..\Also he remembers the smog and trolley bus. remembers Mr Jennings with his grey 3 piece suit.and the crystal sets.Certainly Mr & Mrs Otterbourne.

David is now 80 years old and in fairly good health, He has had type 1 diabetes since the age of 8,( 72 yrs) As a child of 8 years old it was a huge move to live in PH from his family home in Birmingham, his father and uncle used to visit him