Night Sweats

lockettpots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having been recently diagnosed with Type 2 I am still coming to terns with managing my blood sugar. Last night and trhe night before i woke up about 2.00 am absolutely drenched with sweat with soaking wet night clothes and bed linen. I have come across a suggestion that this may be signs "Nocturnal Hypoglecemia" Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated. My pre breakfast readings were about 6.8.

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a snack before bed time. What medication are you on. And when do you take it. I am on Metformin and take mine at 6am and 7pm and my night sweats stopped. I also have my tea later in the evening.

lockettpots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi bluejeans
Thanks for that at least I know that I'm not alone! I'm on metformin as well.

Reactions: 2 people

tonal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
have been D2 for more than 20 years and my temperature control does seem out of step with normal people. Often sweat at night, damp pillow, can't stand too many clothes on me. but wear bedsocks. A doctor once told me it was my personal thermostat that does not work well. I just thought it was part of being D2.

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
I too suffer from night sweats.......but day sweats too, although not so badly. I've tried varying my diet in the evening and the time of my meal. Now i take a small glass of milk to bed with me and that seems to make my attacks slightly less severe. Don't know if that suggestion might help?

amber128

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Disloyalty
I too suffer from night sweats.......but day sweats too, although not so badly. I've tried varying my diet in the evening and the time of my meal. Now i take a small glass of milk to bed with me and that seems to make my attacks slightly less severe. Don't know if that suggestion might help?
I suffer night sweats, day sweats, just constant sweats. Hair always wet and sweat funny ng down face. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate them.

Sumobabe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had problems with both night sweats and being really cold when I first went on metformin a few weeks ago. As time has gone on, the night sweats have pretty much disappeared. I don't know if this is because I've adjusted better to the metformin, or because my overall BS levels are lower.

If you suspect your sweats are due to hypoglycemia, keep your meter by your bedside and take your BS when you wake up from one of the sweats.

There are other things that can cause night sweats, including menopause, and in rare cases, lymphoma. Worth a mention to your doctor if they continue and aren't clearly attributable to being hypo.

Good luck.

JoanneH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found out I was diabetic end of last year and have been on diet only since 4 January 2015 and I have night sweats at night but rarely during the day and then sometimes just my hands and feet are frozen and other days everywhere is frozen and I sit with top on, jumper, cardigan, fleece, heating on and wait until it passes. My blood sugar has gone from 18.5 to 6.2 and as I take nothing then it cannot be the metformin. I put it down to the body healing itself as the blood sugar comes down. I am 67.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
That is not a bad summation ...... happen to agree with it.

IzzieS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Loud noises; disrespectful people; fireworks
I thought it was just the menopause going on and on and on! Am 70 next month so it's about time that stopped - and maybe it's the medication. Ah well - could be worse.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought it was just the menopause going on and on and on! Am 70 next month so it's about time that stopped - and maybe it's the medication. Ah well - could be worse.

I thought the same thing a couple of nights ago, my hot flashes should really have stopped by now! Then I discovered the central heating timer was playing up and the heating hadn't gone off at 10pm, it was just getting hotter and hotter till I noticed it at 23 degrees at 11.30pm! :D

tonal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I found out I was diabetic end of last year and have been on diet only since 4 January 2015 and I have night sweats at night but rarely during the day and then sometimes just my hands and feet are frozen and other days everywhere is frozen and I sit with top on, jumper, cardigan, fleece, heating on and wait until it passes. My blood sugar has gone from 18.5 to 6.2 and as I take nothing then it cannot be the metformin. I put it down to the body healing itself as the blood sugar comes down. I am 67.
I agree with all of this - cold feet and sweating in the rest of my body, sizzeling in my wrists and ankles- I use Ice Gel it helps for a bit. I'm 75 and Have been D2 for more than 20 years - I think this has got worse since I've got older - like interrupting sleep.

paymaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to experience horrendous night sweats. I would wake up and the bed would feel almost awash with water. I even thought at times that I had peed in the bed. I'm male and 68.
I was on 4 metformin and 3 glicizide daily.
For another reason, 4 months ago I had my medication halved and was switched onto Insulin. Since then the sweats immediately stopped.