vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not quite the answer I wanted ;)

Is it as simple as that or does the cooking process affect, eg the carb values?

Carb values can be affected by food processing but exactly how much is very difficult to establish without a laboratory. For example, pasta cooked, cooled and re-heated can sometimes be less glycemic than freshly cooked pasta (not sure of the calorie effect) and in another example it's widely believed that the standard calorific value of nuts can vary depending on how much the nut is broken down by cooking and chewing. These may apply to other ingredients but there is no hard data. The basic figures will never under-estimate values so it's safe to use them.

IncyWincy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Found this in the latest ASDA mag.

Celeriacsoup.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Way too many for this little box, and probably irrelevant
Re: Low Carb Recipes.

Coconut Chocolate Stuff ... or "Almond Bark" by Rose Elliott!

100 grammes coconut oil (Always use virgin pressed)
100 grammes ground almonds (I use a blend of low carb ground nuts - including macadamia nuts!)
25 grammes pure raw cocoa powder
25 grammes granulated sweetener of choice (I use xylitol)

Melt coconut oil (this doesn't take long)
Throw in cocoa and mix well so you have chocolate oil
Stir in sweetener and allow to soften / disolve (whatever your chosen sweetener does!)
Stir in nuts
Mix it all really well and scoop/pour into plastic tub and allow to cool (coolest part of fridge) for at least 90 minutes
When set, cut and leave another few minutes before serving

If you want to eat chunks like fudge use a slightly smaller tub or if you want chocolate-like slabs use a large flat tub

Originally from Rose Elliots Low Carb Vegetarian (an excellent book) I adapted the recipe slightly

BENEFITS:

* zero impact on blood sugar
* beneficial compounds in coconut oil (yes the fat is saturated but it's the right molecule)
* beneficial compounds in cocoa
* almonds are known to reduce cholesterol
* tastes amazing
* unbelievably fast and easy to make
* makes 21 large servings

ENJOY ... I do!

Jem xoxoxoxox

EDIT TO ADD:

Quantity --- Food --- Calories --- Fat --- Protein --- Carb

100 grms - coconut oil - 900 - 100 - 0 - 0
100 grms - ground almonds - 615 - 55.8 - 21.1 - 6.9
20 grms - cocoa - 64 - 4.34 - 3.7 - 2.3
20 grms - Xylitol - 48 - 0 - 0 - 20
total - 1627 - 160.14 - 24.8 - 29.2
(21) serving - 77.5 - 7.6 - 1.2 - 1.4

Sounds yum! Have just copied and will have a go asap! Thanks.

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had a pancake for breakfast. Cream cheese beaten egg, cinnamon, xylitol and berries Yum yum.

Reactions: 6 people

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Way too many for this little box, and probably irrelevant
Sounds yum! Have just copied and will have a go asap! Thanks.

** made it, loved it! Have now made another version - same recipe for chocolate bark stuff.
After setting in the fridge, spread a layer of peanut butter to cover and put back in fridge.
Make another batch of chocolate bark and spread that over the peanut butter - back to the fridge to set.

I haven't worked out the carbs yet, but shouldn't be too tricky.

IncyWincy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From September 2014 ASDA mag.

CCF11042015_0001.jpg

I have made this on several occasions now but add more parmesan and basil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

IncyWincy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Leylie's Ratatouille from A Year At Avoca, Gloss Publications.

Serves 6-8

Ingredients
1 medium onion, peeled and finely sliced
4-5 tablespoons fruity olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 fresh bay leaf
1 red pepper, halved, de-seeded and thickly sliced
1 yellow pepper, halved de-seeded and thickly sliced
6-8 large very ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped or 1x 420g tin good quality plum tomatoes
1 teaspoon tomato puree
1 small aubergine, cut in half lengthwise, diced
1 small courgette, green or yellow, cut in half lengthwise, sliced
handful of basil leaves, torn
1 tablespoon pitted black olives (optional)
sea salt and black pepper

Method
In a large heavy saucepan cook the sliced onion in the olive oil on a low heat for 6-8 minutes until softened and opaque in colour.

Add the crushed garlic, bay leaf, aubergine and peppers and cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the tomatoes, the puree and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper and a little sea salt.

Bring to a gentle simmer for 15-20 minutes after which time the peppers and aubergine will have softened.

Add the courgette and cook for a further 5 minutes.

Add the torn basil and black olives (if using) and check the level of seasoning.

Ellie-70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ellie's Ginger Nut Biscuits

Ingredients
200g gound unsalted nuts (I use almonds or hazelnuts or a a bag of mixed nuts)
50g Xylitol (or equivalent sweetener)
I egg
I level tsp baking powder
1 or 2 level tsps of ground ginger (I use 2 tsps as I love a strong taste of Ginger)
Few drops of vanilla essence or almond essence, if liked

Method
  • Heat oven to Gas Mark 5. Oil a large cookie sheet/baking tray very thoroughly as these biscuits will stick if you don't.
  • Combine ground nuts, baking powder, ginger and xylitol in a bowl and use a whisk to combine well.
  • Beat egg and essence together and add to the dry ingredients. Mix gently with your hand until mixture comes away from the sides of the bowl and forms one big ball. Nuts differ in how much liquid they absorb so you may have to add a little oil e.g. sunflower oil, or a drizzle or water to add enough moisture to bind all the ingredients together.
  • When ball is formed use a knife to cut it in half and then in quarters and so on until you get small pieces that you can roll in your hands to make a ball roughly 2 inches in diameter. Place balls on greased baking sheet and flatten with a fork to about 1/4 inch thick. I usually get about 14 biscuits from this but it will depend on what size you make each biscuits.
  • Place in oven and bake for ten minutes. Check biscuits at ten minutes and if they are lightly firm but still have some sponginess then they are ready. If they are still very soft leave in the often and check again after another 5 minutes.
  • When ready leave on the baking sheet for around five minutes as they will continue cooking on the hot tray. When they have firmed up a little more carefully remove from the baking sheet by sliding a spatula under each one and placing on a cooling rack.
These biscuits have a soft, cake like texture and are not hard like shop brought Ginger Snap biscuits. I like this as I feel I am getting both a biscuit and a cake!

When biscuits are cold I keep mine in a ziplock bag for freshness - though they never last very long. If you don't like ginger then you could use cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg or whatever flavouring you like. I grind whole nuts myself in a food processor for freshness and improved flavour but using pre ground nuts is fine too.

Reactions: 14 people

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Re: Low Carb Recipes.

Cheesecake: Mix 5fl oz double cream (whipped until it is floppy but not stiff), with 12 oz cottage cheese (the creamy type). Heat some pkt gelatin on the stove as per directions until clear. Mix 2 egg yolks in with the cream and cottage cheese, add in some grated lemon rind and juice of 2 lemons, then pour in the gelatin. Add in da Vinci white chocolate syrup to taste. Allow to cool in the fridge and top with flaked almonds.

Ice cream: mix 100g Total (organic greek) yoghurt with 100ml double cream. Whip the double cream until it is firm and forming peaks then stir in the yoghurt. Add in da Vinci syrup (whatever flavour you like), mix and place in freezer. Bring out every half hour or so to re-mix. When completely cold ( and when your taste test tells you)- serve.

Yum!! And BTW tried the combination of fried brussell sprouts with cabbage (in olive oil) with bacon, cream and parmesan. Shared it with my brussel sprout hating kids. LUSH!!!!

Cheese cake sounds fabulous but where do you get da Vinci syrup?

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
It sounds similar to the Jordan's Skinny Syrups I buy off eBay
Have looked it up can buy it from Amazon, but there's no ingredients info. How many carbs are in Skinny Syrups.

S

Sable_Jan

Have looked it up can buy it from Amazon, but there's no ingredients info. How many carbs are in Skinny Syrups.
Everything is zero; fat, sugar, protein...miniscule 5mg of sodium per fl. oz. Tried to take picture but phone camera won't focus...

I'll try with my Hudl later....that has good camera

Last edited:

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Cheese cake sounds fabulous but where do you get da Vinci syrup?

Hi @timerich,

The low carb megastore sells various flavours of Da Vinci syrups for around £6. They also stock other brands of syrup which are cheaper than the Da Vinci ones. I can't recommend the Walden Farms syrups I'm afraid. I've bought their chocolate Syrup & strawberry jam...both of which went straight in the bin. I know lots of coffee shops use Da Vinci syrups...both the normal & sugar free varieties. So, I reckon they must be pretty good quality.

Ali. X

IncyWincy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is from the May ASDA magazine. I'm going to try it later this week but with chicken rather than prawns (not my favourite food).

CCI10052015.jpg

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coconut Flour & Psyllium Flatbread

60gm Coconut Flour
2 TBS Psyllium Husk (Australian TBS is 20ml)
40gm Butter or Coconut Oil (I used butter)
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Gluten Flour (not in the original but i thought it might help 'hold' the mixture)
250ml Boiling water
Herbs/Spices to taste (I used garlic powder/oregano/chilli flakes)

Mix the dry ingredients together with a whisk (I had to sieve my coconut flour)
Melt the butter or oil in the boiling water then add to the dry ingredients & mix well.
Divide into three equal balls & roll each out between 2 bits of baking paper to about 12cm across.
Fry in a dry pan over a medium heat for 3-4 mins each side until golden.

Rather pancake like but really good :) A good lower protein alternative to the flax breads for those reaching their protein limits.
As best I can figure out, each bread provides approx: 4gm NetCarb**, 10gm Fibre, 4gm Protein.

** The coconut flour I used had total carbs 11.35 less the fibre 7.35

Remember to drink a lot of water with it due to the high fibre count.