Cholesterol Test Kits

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
Has anyone bought a home testing kit for cholesterol. If so was it accurate?

Regards Val

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Hi Val,

I tried them a couple of times a few years ago. I think they're pretty accurate but they are only a guide. I think the acceptable range is 3.5 to 5.5 (but don't ask me what)and remember that it's the cholesterol in your blood that is measured, not the stuff that's clinging to the walls of your blood vessels. I don't think the test kits are cheap - £7 or £8? You'll be able to get a test for free from your GP.

Good luck,

Russ

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
Hi Russ

Why I was thinking of getting a test kit is because I have now been on simvistatin for two years and I would like to see what happens if I stop taking them. My last cholesterol reading was 3.6 and I was wondering if I could keep it under 5 without drugs. My husband has also just been put on simvistatin and it seems as if doctors are wanting everyone to take them.

I don't think my doctor will prescribe a test kit. I know she will say it's sufficient to have a test once a year which is done as part of the diabetese checks. She said that I didn't need to check my BG and therefore wouldn't give me test strips. I have been diabetic for about two and a half years and am still controlling it with diet. I do see the diabetic nurse every three/six months and everything seems ok but sometimes when I feel a bit groggy it would be nice to know what my BG is.

Regards Val

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Val,

At the moment your GP can get away with refusing to allow you test strips as the wording of the NICE guidelines on self-testing can be interpreted to mean the decision on whether you should self-test for BG is at the GP's discretion.

This will change, but unfortunately not until April this year, when the new NICE regulations come into force. These remove all the ambiguity and say that self-testing <u>MUST</u> form part of the patient's care of their diabetes. The only exceptions are where a patient would be incapable (because of educational or mental limitation) of interpreting or reacting to the readings.

From April your GP will be in breach of NICE regulations if she refuses to support your self-testing or refuses to prescribe test strips for whatever model of tester you are using. What people describe as a "groggy" feeling is usually hypoglycaemia, which can be dangerous if not dealt with by raising sugar levels quickly. But if you are not "allowed" to test how do you know. One of these days will see a GP who refuses to support self-testing being sued for negligence when a patient dies following a hypo - and then no doubt they will all be falling over each other to ensure all their patients can home-test!!

When it comes to testing for cholesterol, I am a bit dubious of any test that gives just a single value, which I believe most of the home testing kits do. Your present reading of 3.6 could show a very healthy level or a potentially dangerous level. It all depends on what portion of the reading represents HDL (the good cholesterol) and what portion is LDL (the bad cholesterol). If your 3.6 is nearly all LDL then you are in the "high risk of heart disease" category. If the LDL is 2.0 and HDL 1.6 then you are in a low risk category.

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Hi Val,

What Dennis says seems very sound and I am delighted to know that NICE have new guidelines that come in to force in April. At last!!! (Thanks Dennis for telling all this). Some practices are more liberal than others interpreting NICE's guidelines - mine certainly is. If there is absolutely no way your GP will prescribe test strips you could contact any one of the many monitor suppliers who will send you a free one, usually with something like 10 strips, so that would help in the occasional testing between now and April. I think they can be bought for something like 50p a strip, although you probably won't be able them singly.

Whilst your GP won't prescribe cholesterol test kits she should send you for periodic blood tests which should give you the verification you're seeking and you will know exactly how you're doing.

Good luck,

Russ

Ebenezer

On diagnosis (2000) my cholesterol was 7.6. Diet reduced it to about 5.0 - low sugar, low fat, low salt, lots of fruit & veg, oat bran, Flora pro-active ...

Dr tried me on Simvastatin 10 mg & total Chol fell to about 4.0. After about 8 months on Simv, muscle pain became so severe that I had difficulty getting out of bed. When I was trying to get out of bed I could not move my right thigh under its muscle power. I had to use my hands to move my leg. Once I was upright I was reasonably OK. It was so long after starting Simv that I did not consider it being a side effect.

Then I read in "Balance" some letters reporting muscle pain, & the benefits of giving up statins. I stopped at once, & within a week the pain had gone. I contacted the Dr & he confirmed it as a common side effect, as did the chemist. Why did they not warn me? Chol is again steady at 5.0.

My wife, following a heart attack, is on Simv. She suffers muscle & joint pains but is afraid to try giving up Simv for a trial period & the Dr says statistically husband & wife won't have the same problem??? She cries out in pain sometimes.

Don't stop medication, but report any problems to the Dr.

Reactions: 2 people

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Ebenezer,

Your doctor's logic makes no sense. As muscle pain is a common side effect of simvastatin, it is logical that any two users of it will experience muscle pain. The fact that the two users happen to be married is immaterial.

If I remember the Balance article I think it mentions an alternative to simvastatin that doesn't have such severe side effects?

Ebenezer

I can't convince my wife to try leaving out statin. Her blood pressure is rising (140/80) & she is due for a hospital review soon.

Atorvastatin has been mentioned as a statin with reduced side effects, but the Dr suggested Niacin for me as it is totally different chemically. After 3 weeks my blood sugar was up 10% (6.5 to 7.2 overnight) & muscle pains returned.