A little "experiment"

chrisbel

Hi again
I have been keeping my carbs down to around the 50grm mark for the past two weeks and with the exercise I do on a regular basis I have lost weight (from 18st 2lb -17st 5lb) and lowered my readings to around 5.5 (one point this week down to 4.5).
So today I had a chance for some free food in the job I do, I drive for the military, around Salisbury Plain.
I thought I would try a little experiment, (well, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it) had the beefburger (no bread roll) hand full of chips, spoonful of baked beans and a small chocolate chip muffin.
I took a reading at 5 o,clock, about three hours later 6.5 :shock: and then at 21:00 after doing one and half hours of quite strenuous exercise ( I practice Taekwon do) it had gone up to 6.8 :shock: :shock: :shock: :(
So it seems to me that in my case lowering carbs do work, now I have to try and get it all back down again.
I am a type 2 diet controlled with a 40mg statin.
Think I'll stay away from experimenting in the future :)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
thats how we do it, its all a matter of learning by testing to see what effects us, im sure you will soon get back to normal :D

Doczoc

From the point of view of another type 2, anything other than a significant reduction in carbs is just insane! Anything else is just 'giving in' to the idea you'll end up on insulin!

sixfoot

If as you say the portions were small then it is also possible that the exercise caused a liver dump. Some of the protien in the Burger would convert. The chips and muffin would spike ... the beanz depending on the amount of sugar in the sauce.

caitycakes1

My money is on the chips and beans. Beans are horrifically high in carbs and so unfortunately are chips :cry:

Caitycakes x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi
your statin isn't controlling your diabetes. It's controlling cholesterol formation.
If you had been on the low carb for longer, a few months, say, You might have changed your insulin sensitivity and got lower readings. going up after exercise is common.
Wewll done!
Hana